Catholic Weddings

Great Cantor/Singers in Chicago

I live in LA, but my fiance and I are getting married in Chicago in Sept. We are pretty active at our church here in LA and love love love the music. I can't explain it! Gospel, contemporarty christian rock music from Cantors that sound like they should have their own record label deal at a Catholic Church! I was so set on flying 1 or 2 of them hopefully down to possibly sing at our wedding ceremony in Chicago, but my fiance is totally against that now since we still have so much more to pay for that takes priority and wants to just hire locals in Chicago. What makes it even more challenging is that our priest in Chicago says that whoever we bring to sing at mass, must be a catholic cantor so they are familiar with the mass format. I really would love to audition/hear some talented singers that meet this criteria in Chicago if anybody has an referrals..anything will help.
Any churches there in Chicago that have reputable singers???? Please help..
Mrs. F 9-18-10

Re: Great Cantor/Singers in Chicago

• Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion:  get a cantor from your preist's church to sing the psalm and the unchanging mass parts.  Then, hire your own choir to do the prelude, communion hymn, marian devotion and presentation of the gifts.  A lot of churches do have praise and worship bands around 6PM on a Sunday evening.  I would suggest going to several churches there and listening to their bands to find one you like and then asking them if you can contract them out to play at your wedding.  I can't recommend anyone from Chicago because I don't live there currently but you could also post this on the local chicago board and see if anyone goes to a church there with a praise and worship service or sometimes it's called a teen life service.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to live in the Chicago suburbs so I know this church has a praise and worship service at 6PM but I haven't lived there in forever so I can't tell you if it is still contemporary music or not but you can contact them:  It is St. Elizabeth Seton:   http://sesnaperville.org/sesmain/?cat=141
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The sunday evening Masses with contemporary music were from the lifeteen movement. I was flown to Colorado to play a wedding and called different lifeteen parishes in the area to find a few musicians who would be able to play contemporary music. I would suggest going through lifeteen to find them.

The lifeteen web site was just overhauled, and it seems the "find a LT parish near me" is buggy...so I would suggest calling Lifeteen and asking for parish phone numbers.

www.lifeteen.com

• edited December 2011
    Old St. Pat's has a "wedding music" concert a couple times a year.    Maybe you can check with them?  Actually- there is a guy (I don't know his name,  younger, heavy set guy) who has an amazing voice there.
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards