Snarky Brides

Renewing our vows, never had wedding day

My husband and I  were married on July 20, 2006 at a court house. We had a wedding planned at White Rock Lake in Dallas, TX. Personal circumstances changed everything .Now on July 20, 2013, were having the wedding we  made arrangements for 6 years ago. The theme is : Winter Wonderland in July

Re: Renewing our vows, never had wedding day

• July 20, 2006 was your wedding day. I hope your guests know this is just a vow renewal.  
  • edited September 2012
    Be honest with your guests that this is a vow renewal not a wedding.  You're wedding day was July 20, 2006.  I think it's kind of odd to have a vow renewal on an anniversary that isn't a milestone (10, 25, etc.) but so long as you're honest about what it is, there really isn't an issue with it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • But you did have a wedding day
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_renewing-our-vows-never-had-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a936a82b-1937-487a-9a97-7c1f32296995Post:6647b84d-9769-42ad-a69e-08a44ab89a44">Re: Renewing our vows, never had wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]But you did have a wedding day
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Its amazing I got married to my second husband by the JOP. I still had to get a legal divorce.

The judge doesnt care where you do it, you're still married.

I'd personally wait for a milestone as Shay suggested. OR remember you are married to the husband you love, no matter what fluff was missing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Your wedding day was when you became married on 7/20/2006.  It doesn't matter how elaborate the ceremony was (or wasn't).  That was your wedding day.  You get ONE of those.

If you choose to have a vow renewal/anniversary party at some point in time, that's fine.  Just be sure to call it by the appropriate name - it is not a wedding.

imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with the PPs. You did have a wedding day, it might not have been what you wanted, but a lot of ladies choose to go to the courthouse and that doesnt make their marriage or wedding any less important or meaningful than anyone who had a princess winter wonderland wedding. I definitely side eye a vow renewal after 6 years, I would wait for a bigger milestone anniversary. IMO, you are treating this more like another wedding instead of a vow renewal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_renewing-our-vows-never-had-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a936a82b-1937-487a-9a97-7c1f32296995Post:989793ed-4528-4eb4-97df-3e1b5d1d9b22">Renewing our vows, never had wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I  were married on July 20, 2006 at a court house. We had a wedding planned at White Rock Lake in Dallas, TX. Personal circumstances changed everything .Now on July 20, 2013, were having the wedding we  made arrangements for 6 years ago. The theme is : Winter Wonderland in July
    Posted by winter777[/QUOTE]
    were going to state its a vow renewal on the invitations. we never had a wedding, our best man stole all our savings. Wekept all our plans  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_renewing-our-vows-never-had-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a936a82b-1937-487a-9a97-7c1f32296995Post:588a7e41-71a7-463f-a6da-dd0b39e10320">Re: Renewing our vows, never had wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Renewing our vows, never had wedding day : were going to state its a vow renewal on the invitations. <strong>we never had a wedding</strong>, our best man stole all our savings. Wekept all our plans  
    Posted by winter777[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm so sorry for what happened! That really sucks. However, you keep saying you never had a wedding, but you're not really listening to the ladies on here. You DID have a wedding. According to the dictionary, a wedding is "the act or ceremony of marrying." Sinc<font face="verdana" color="#333333"><span style="line-height:normal;">e you got married, that means you had a wedding. You are right in calling the new celebration a vow renewal, but please recognize the fact that you DID have a wedding.</span></font></div>
  • Go for it! I think it sounds fun!  :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards