Hawaii

Catered Reception in Maui

Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion of doing an outdoor catered wedding reception in Maui?  It seems to be that going with a caterer is much cheaper than having a reception in a hotel/restaurant, and you seem to have a lot more flexibility with regards to the food and how you want to set up the reception.  Anyone who's ever gone this route, what did you think?

Also, I found a caterer online that looks somewhat promising and I just wanted to ask if anyone has used them before: "The Comfort Zone Catering".  They seem to be associated with a restaurant called CJ's Deli and Diner in Maui (run by the same chef).  What I like about them is that they are basically a wedding planner and a caterer combined, so they help you plan the reception as well.  Also, the chef/food seems to have a lot of rave reviews.  Anyone had any experience with this caterer?

Re: Catered Reception in Maui

• We are using them for our catered rehearsal dinner at our condo.  My father in law has been very happy with them.  The menu looks good.  I haven't been too involved in the planning though.
    We are having a catered reception, but since it's at OloIwalu, it's definitely not cheap!  I think you have more flexibility than with a hotel.
    Good luck!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_catered-reception-in-maui?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:cb75368c-64ab-497e-adf5-47a4be89740cPost:cbebb973-5f8b-4135-a682-b5c3713ce997">Catered Reception in Maui</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion of doing an outdoor catered wedding reception in Maui?  It seems to be that going with a caterer is much cheaper than having a reception in a hotel/restaurant, and you seem to have a lot more flexibility with regards to the food and how you want to set up the reception.  Anyone who's ever gone this route, what did you think? Also, I found a caterer online that looks somewhat promising and I just wanted to ask if anyone has used them before:  "The Comfort Zone Catering" .  They seem to be associated with a restaurant called CJ's Deli and Diner in Maui (run by the same chef).  What I like about them is that they are basically a wedding planner and a caterer combined, so they help you plan the reception as well.  Also, the chef/food seems to have a lot of rave reviews.  Anyone had any experience with this caterer?
    Posted by CJKek[/QUOTE]
  • Yes, you have more flexibility not doing it at a hotel, but you also have a LOT more details to handle (although a WC - or your caterer in your case - can do a lot of it for you). We had our wedding catered at the house we rented for the week. We did not have a WC. So, in addition to menu planning, things on our to-do list included: renting tables, chairs (including tables to use for bar and buffet), linens, centerpieces or any decor, bartending service if you want one, etc.
  • Thanks for the replies Smile
    Yeah, part of the reason I'm considering this caterer is that they take care of a lot of the details like the tables, chairs, linens, bartending, etc.  It's almost like a combination service of a caterer and a planner.
    Has anyone here ever eaten at CJ's Deli and Diner?  I know the type of food at a Deli/Diner is completely different than the type that will be served at a wedding rehearsal, but it would still be interesting to hear what people have to say about their restaurant.

Also, we'd like to hold our reception outdoors under tents/canopies.  I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has done something similar.  Are there any special considerations for doing this type of reception?  I know that Maui has a curfew of 10:00 at night in public places... what do people do after they wrap up the reception?  Do they end the day then, or do they move on to another location?  Or do most people rent out a private location that doesn't have a curfew?
  • I found setting up a catered reception to be far more expensive than going to a hotel / restaurant.  At your own venue, you have to take care of everything!  In addition to your venue fee, you have to consider tables, linens, charger plates, centerpieces, rain options/tent, plates, etc.  If your vendor handles all of that for you, that may not be such a bad option, but it's still a lot of work to think about and coordinate!

Also, keep in mind the time difference and jetlag.  If you and your guests are from the West Coast, 10pm in Maui is 1am at home, so you and your guests may be beyond tired by that point.  Some people plan an after party, some people just head to a club/bar.  We did neither, and we were so glad just to be able to go back to the hotel and enjoy being married!
  • I agree with Tanq, we found catered venues to be more expensive than hotels! But we couldn't possibly be stuck in a ballroom in Hawaii so we're doing it in a private venue. Yeah the 10pm curfew sucks! But in Maui there is a private venue that has no neighbors do no curfew!!! It's not right next to the beach but has a beautiful view of the ocean and lanai! One thing we have been asked by our venue is to make sure we face the speakers to the ocean so not to annoy the neighbors. I also hear having an off duty police officer placates things too! We though long and hard about doing the afterparty. As Tanq said,we were concerned people would be tired with jetlag. After speaking to our friends, we decided to go through with it. 10pm was just too early! So we're doing it in a bar/lounge and reserving an area.
  • Thanks for the information, I guess I'll have to do a more thorough comparison to see how exactly the prices compare.

@Bubsie - you are doing a catered reception at a private location and doing an afterparty?  I thought there was no curfew at your private location?

Has anyone here done a reception in a public location?  I've heard it can be difficult to get the permits required...
  • Yep we are doing an afterparty because we decided for us doing the wedding in Oahu suited better. The venue with no curfew is in Maui.
  • bubsie, where was this venue with no curfew you speak of? I would love to take a look at it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards