Hawaii

Am I Weird??

Hi knotties!

I went wedding dress shopping for the first time over the past two weeks (YAY!), it was so much fun and I went to a couple of places, so have tried on lots of dresses!
I really liked two of them and one had both parents crying BUT I didn't get 'that feeling' that people talk about.  I didn't get emotional or anything...is that normal?
Did everyone have that moment, with tears and the whole bit when you found your dresses??
I think say yes to the dress might have ruined me!

Please share your experiences! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Am I Weird??

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I never got that feeling, even after my dress came in.  I tried it on 4 times before I bought it, and went to every store in the city over 8 days and tried over 100 dresses on.  It almost killed me.  ;)  I still wouldn't change my dress though and love it.  Just no emotion.  For me, it's still just a dress I suppose.  If you like the dress(es) and feel good in it, go for it

• edited December 2011
    I never got that feeling either.  My very first bridal consultant tried to make me feel like a freak because I didn't choose one of my first 7 dresses, which apparently 95% of the girls she sees falls in love with the first 7, and most the first 1.  She...sucked.  :P

Another one of the bridal consultants later told me that most of us don't have that OMG moment with tears and hysterics and the whole 9 yards.  Especially if you're logical, not typically emotional, and frankly grounded in the practical realities of life, you just don't get as worked up over a dress.  I also tried on about 100 and ended up picking a dress out of a catalog (no joke).  The first time I got teary was at my final fitting, 5 days before the wedding, when the dress fit like a glove and the jewelry & veil were all on. 

I think Say Yes to the Dress, bridal magazines, movies, etc have created a very unrealistic expectation about the entire wedding experience.  This not only covers wedding gown hysterics, but also the ZOMG my bestest friend is coming to every tasting with me, and ZOMG we need a week in Cancun for my bachelorette, etc.  In reality, it's not really like that for the majority!

Don't stress!  Just find one you like and that flatters you.  You can hardly go wrong with that.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't either!!!

But I am also not super emotional, I am pretty level headed, and price concious. I knew going in I probably wouldn't have that AH HAH OMG moment. I figured it would be a calm and collected choice - which it was. I did find my dress on the first outing, but the price also played a big role in it! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's kind of ridiculous that as girls we are engrained to think that we can't wear a wedding dress unless we start crying about it.  I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED my dress and never once did it make me emotional or cry.  I mean, it's just a dress after all!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!!!!!!

Feeling much better now.  I think I might just be one of those people who needs to try on every dress in the state before I make my decision! It will definitely be a more logical decision, I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!

Thanks a million! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't have that emotional moment either!  In fact, I was getting quite annoyed with everyone who kept asking "Is this the one?  Are you going to say yes to the dress?"  You are definitely not the only one! :) 
  • edited December 2011
    I don't believe there's only one person for everyone (how sad would that be?), so I really don't believe there's only one dress. =)
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made fun on that moment and how stupid it was. But, then I had it. I don't think it was the dress though. I think it was having my best friend there. Sharing the moment with her meant a lot to me.
  • memegracememegrace member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my moment came when I found out it was 20% off!!  ...SOLD!!  I had been to one other store prior.  That was last Jan~went and picked it up last month and phew...still love it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards