Registry and Gift Forum

Input on Crate and Barrel Flatware

My fiancee and I went to Crate and Barrel to register yesterday.  We picked out Royce flatware.  It was my favorite out of all of their choices because of the size, weight, and style.  At home I read reviews about rusting and now am considering changing flatware.  But I actually have read a number of reviews for other flatware sets at Crate and Barrel that have mentioned rust.  When I chatted with customer service online, they said that the flatware shouldn't touch other metals, may react to acidic foods and certain detergents, and needs polishing.   Funny how it doesn't mention any of this extra care in the description online. 

If you have Crate and Barrel flatware (especially recently purchased), please let me know what you think of it.  I'd love some input!

Re: Input on Crate and Barrel Flatware

• I think those are general recommendations for all stainless. 
    My daughter bought American-made flatware and this is what was from their website:
    • We recommend that you hand-wash your new stainless flatware before your first use.
    • Rinse foods from flatware, especially those with high salt content like butter.
    • Avoid soaking stainless flatware in water for a prolonged period of time or overnight.
    • Keep your knives separated in their own basket, with blades pointed down.
    • Try using less detergent, and avoid ones with lemon or chlorides if possible.
    • Use a silver polish, stainless steel polish, or Bar Keeper's Friend to remove spots.
    • Always wash gold plated stainless steel separately. The ideal method for washing gold and/or frosted stainless flatware is by hand.

With better stainless, it's possible that you will see orange discolored spots after use. This discoloration can be caused by ingredients found in tea, coffee, salad dressing, vinegar, and salt. Hard water and foods with a high salt content (such as butter) can cause these spots to appear during the hot dry cycle in your dishwasher. Minerals in the water will also stick to metal items, and at high temperatures can cause the orange spots. Most often, you will see these spots on the knife blades, since many of the finer stainless steel patterns use a higher carbon content steel alloy (which gives you a sharper blade). The down side to high performance blades is that they tend to attract spots easier.

If stubborn stains or rust spots occur, you can remove them using a non-abrasive stainless or metal polish found in most grocery and hardware stores

• Thank you for your reply! That is definitely helpful information. Right now I'm just using my moms old silverware, so i haven't given a second thought about care. Where is your daughter's flatware from? I really like the idea of buying American made.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_input-on-crate-and-barrel-flatware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:06e89e5b-e9e5-46b4-b6c4-b34801b9c6b4Post:b690891b-2eb1-4d7a-9ecf-abb6279931dc">Re:Input on Crate and Barrel Flatware</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your reply! That is definitely helpful information. Right now I'm just using my moms old silverware, so i haven't given a second thought about care. Where is your daughter's flatware from? I really like the idea of buying American made.
    Posted by drumstheword[/QUOTE]

<a href="https://www.libertytabletop.com/index.asp" rel="nofollow">https://www.libertytabletop.com/index.asp</a>
  • Yes the trick to flatware is rinsing it before putting it in the dishwasher and using a non-citrus detergent.  That's really all there is to it.  I think a lot of people are just lazy and don't rinse anything before putting it in the dishwasher (I know my roommate in law school did this and FI has a tendency to do this).  It's really user error.  My parents have had the same stainless flatware for years, and because they rinse everything before putting it in the dishwasher they only replace it when it's gotten really scratched (probably every 10 years or so). 

Also make sure to get something that's 18/10 instead of 18/0.  18/10 is more rust-resistant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I registered for Crate and Barrel flatware as well.  My sister has had her set for over 10 years and it looks perfect.  I agree with pp that you should look for 18/10, that's the advice I got at BBB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards