Honeymoon Discussions

Wailea vs. Kanapaali in Maui

I'm beginning to do research for our June 2011 honeymoon to Hawaii.  I've heard mixed reviews at to whether to stay in Wailea vs. Kanapaali.  What resorts do you recommend? We do not want to stay in a condo.  We'd like to stay at an upscale resort with all the amenities but we'd like some kind of nightlife close by.

Re: Wailea vs. Kanapaali in Maui

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2010
    There's not a ton of nightlife anywhere really.

Wailea is the one area we did not visit.  It has the Four Seasons, the Marriott and the Grand Wailea.  Kanapaali has the Sheraon/Hyatt/Westin on a busy resort strip.  It's a beautiful beach and has alot of shopping, restaurants, etc.  It's very popular but is also very popular with families and kids which is why we avoided it. 

We stayed in Kapalua at the Ritz-Carlton.  It is very private and secluded and we loved it.  I have pics in my bio.
  • We stayed in Kanapaali at the Westin this past May.  It was nice to have the other hotels in walking distance. There is a path on the beach that connects them and there is the whalers village that has nice shopping and restaurants in between the Westin and The Sheraton.  There were a lot of families but they weren't overwhelming. 

We decided against the Ritz Carlton because we had heard the walk from the hotel to the beach was really far. 
  • It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach.  It's a nice walk and we didn't mind it at all.
  • We stayed in Kaanapali and it might be more of what you are looking for, as lovbulldogs said, there is a beach walk that connects about 8 hotels/resorts and in the middle is Whaler's Village which has shops and some restaurants (all the resorts have restaurants too). Plus it is about a 5 minute drive to Lanhaina which is a cute town with more shops and restaurants!

I think the Westin or Hyatt might be the 'upscale' hotels you are looking for.

GL!
  • We also stayed in Kanapaali and I thought there was a lot to do.  Lahaina is very nearby and they have a ton to do as well.  However, we went to restaurants in kapalua (which wasn't too far from Kanapaali) and thought it was gorgeous there.  I would think it's quieter and mroe romantic as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you so much for all the recommendations!  I'm sure anywhere we stay will be very nice!  I'm going to consider all of these suggestions.  Thanks!!
  • We stayed in Kapalua and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Prettiest area we visited that had lodging, compared to Kaanapali/Lahaina. Nice and private and quiet, gorgous views, quick access to several beaches, and no screaming kids or rowdy families or trashy touristy stuff. But a quick drive to get to Lahaina and all of that "action"

We stayed in a condo (Kapalua Villas), but the Ritz is on the same property and so we were able to use the pools, beach, etc there. It was beautiful, and the walk from the hotel to the beack, like stephie said, was only about 5 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards