Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Ceremony music: piano or string trio

Hi Everyone,

I am torn between choosing a single pianist for our ceremony or choosing a string trio. I originally wanted a string trio but that would cost $600 more than a pianist because we have to pay per musician per hour. Have you looked into both options? Have you been to a wedding that has a piano? My wedding is outdoors so I want to keep that in mind when deciding also.

Whatever we decide we will also use for the cocktail hour music.

Please help!

Thanks!

Re: Ceremony music: piano or string trio

• Options
    More musicians = more money.  If a string trio is in your budget and that's what you want, then I think that's what you should book. It's a wonderful sound for a wedding.

Keep in mind with an outdoor ceremony a pianist will have to bring a keyboard and amplifier, which will then have to be moved indoors for your cocktail hour if the venue does not have a piano.  Most pianists have decent keyboards but they won't sound exactly like an acoustic piano.  

The location of your ceremony and reception and the unique needs of the musicians is something you should discuss with potential musicians before you book them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    <div>This was really helpful. Thank you!</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_ceremony-music-piano-or-string-trio?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:48d7b471-2b36-420d-b2f5-909a909c4aa5Post:67aa91e2-d85f-4a19-9113-a678a2d49d06">Re: Ceremony music: piano or string trio</a>:
    [QUOTE]More musicians = more money.  If a string trio is in your budget and that's what you want, then I think that's what you should book. It's a wonderful sound for a wedding. Keep in mind with an outdoor ceremony a pianist will have to bring a keyboard and amplifier, which will then have to be moved indoors for your cocktail hour if the venue does not have a piano.  Most pianists have decent keyboards but they won't sound exactly like an acoustic piano.   The location of your ceremony and reception and the unique needs of the musicians is something you should discuss with potential musicians before you book them.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    i agree wtih the above.  strings may be heard better if it's windy (since they're typically a 'sharper' sound), though a solo piano is one of my favorite things.  some of the nicer keyboards do sound fairly close... but i agree - unless the venue is equipped for it, you probably will have a keyboard instead of piano.  pianos tend to be easier as background music during cocktail hour though.

FWIW - we did solo piano for our church wedding and it truly was gorgeous and everything i hoped it would be.

go with your gut! whatever you really want --- do it.  in the grand scheme of wedding planning... $600 isn't the end of the world if the music is that important to you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards