Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation Wording Question- groom's father deceased

I would like to include "son of Mr. & Mrs. Lastname" on our wedding invitation beneath my fiance's name, but don't quite know how to word it as his father is deceased.  What's proper? I'm at a loss.

Thank you!

Re: Invitation Wording Question- groom's father deceased

• Ditto Squirrly.
  • DD's were worded

Daisy May
    daughter of Ferd and Maud Kilbookie

and

Homer Horatio
    son of Engleburt + and Henrietta Finkler

The + shown above was a small cross on the actual invitation.  It was way to include him without making the wedding a memorial service to him.  It was printed this way on invitations and on the programs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-wording-question-grooms-father-deceased?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e90c293-05e1-4111-9646-a450c4c49f39Post:c9c46347-c00f-4e8d-a0cc-ab57e43bb312">Re: Invitation Wording Question- groom's father deceased</a>:
    [QUOTE]The deceased do not properly belong on an invitation in any capacity.  You can properly honor your FI's late father in the program, but not on the invitation.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

This. The program is the best way to honor him. A deceased person cannot host a wedding.
  • A deceased parent can be mentioned on an invitation.  I believe the rule you are thinking of is that a deceased parent cannot be a named host on an invitation.  Thus, for example, if the parents are alive, the traditional Christian wording of a wedding invitation would be:

Mr. and Mrs. Parents of the Bride
    request the pleasure of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter
    bride’s first name only
    to
    Mr. Groom’s Full Name
    at the place and location
    on the day, date and month and year
    at the time of day.

However, if Mr. Father of the Bride is deceased, it would be incorrect to say:

Mrs. Mother of the Bride and the late Mr. Father of the Bride
    request the pleasure of your presence...

because that would imply that the father was rising from the grave to issue the invitation.  However, it would be permissible to say:

Mr. and Mrs. Parents of the Bride
    request the pleasure of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter
    bride’s first name only
    to
    Mr. Groom’s Full Name
    son of Mrs. Mother of the Groom and the late Mr. Father of the Groom...

In the latter case, the deceased person is named solely in order to clarify who the groom is, not as a host of the wedding.

Similarly, if the couple themselves are hosting the wedding, you could use:

Mr. Bride's Full Name
    daughter of Mrs. Mother of the Bride and the late Mr. Father of the Bride
    and
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    son of Mr. and Mrs. Parents of the Groom...

See this link (among others).
  •  Traditionally, the groom's parents do not belong on the invitation at all.

I totally agree with that.  I'm having major MiL issues and was looking for some backup.

Thanks, Ladies! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards