Wedding Reception Forum

Reception a year after wedding?

What kind of reception should we have a year after wedding. My husband and I got married quickly and was not able to invite family or friends, except parents. I have a wedding dress that i was not able to wear so i want to wear that. any suggestions?

Re: Reception a year after wedding?

• I really don't think you should have a wedding reception a year after your wedding.

Perhaps you could have a first anniversary party instead. That way you can still celebrate your marriage with friends and family, without calling it a wedding reception a year after the fact. I would skip wedding attire, garter/bouquet tosses, and other wedding-day related activities.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Part of being an adult is living with the consequences of your decisions.  You made a decision to have a quickie wedding.  The consequence of that decision is that you don't get to have the big party now because you want it. 

You can have a party that happens to fall on your anniversary if you want, but do not do anything wedding related.  No tosses, no first dance, no toasts, no cake and absolutely NO WEDDING DRESS.  Sorry, you gave that stuff up when you went to the JP. 

Save the dress for a momentous anniversary.  Everybody makes it to the first year.  While it is a milestone for you, it doesn't mean anything to your friends.  Now, you two make it to 20 years, then you have the vow renewal and have the reception and wear the dress.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • You could do an anniversary party/vow renewal but I wouldn't call it a reception.

And if you do renew your vows, know that some people may think it's a bit early but IMO that's the only way you'll get to wear the dress you already own.  With that though means no other wedding related things.
  • I didn't get to hold a graduation party when I finished school two years ago. Maybe I'll do that now.
  • I say.. make the party what you want it to be.. as long as you aren't gift grabby about it and you can accept that some guests will judge you.

Personally, I would call it a party and have it focused around gathering together with friends and family and less of a reception (I would also have a much smaller guest list and only invite the people I am really close to- ie. not coworkers).  I would cut the wedding attire, WP, WP speeches, first dances, etc.

My friend is doing a reception one year after the fact.  She will have a full ceremony and reception held on the day of her one year anniversary.  I will be a BM and wear the typical dress.  I love my friend and I will do everything she asks of me and I will enjoy the whole process.  The ONLY thing that upsets me about it is missing out on the actual wedding and having it so soon means we didn't get to do any fun build up to the actual wedding.  I would have loved to throw her a better bachelorette party, a shower, gone on dress shopping trips, counted down with her, etc.  I REALLY WISH I could be there for the vows and ring exchange.  I wish I can celebrate with her that night.  It makes me so mad that I can't be there!

To be honest... I am happy that she is breaking all the rules and having a vow renewal & reception 1 year later so at least I get to be a part of that.  I would have been more upset if she got married without us and then that was it.

If she wasn't a close friend- I would likely decline the invite.. especially if it came across as the bride just wants her princess day or the couple was gift grabby.

It is up to you about how you want to handle your party- but just be very cautious not to offend any of your invited guests.
  • My suggestion is to have a first anniversary party.  I agree with vsgal.  For whatever reason, and it really doesn't make a difference to me, you had your wedding a year ago.

So the time to have had a reception was a year ago.  I I think that trying to recreate the moment a year later is just inappropriate.  I know it won't make you happy, but I'd decline an invitation to a "wedding reception" being held a year later.

I would however, attend a first anniversary party.  But if you showed up in a wedding dress, and did wedding reception stuff:  first dance, cake cutting, etc.  I'd be making snarky comments and probably leaving early.  Sorry
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-year-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:e2b1ad6b-b7c8-4ffe-ac7f-09f4bab10709Post:6032233a-1589-465b-abe5-aed5ff9225da">Reception a year after wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What kind of reception should we have a year after wedding. My husband and I got married quickly and was not able to invite family or friends, except parents. I have a wedding dress that i was not able to wear so i want to wear that. any suggestions?
    Posted by capttammy[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • If you want a party, then have one. However, I agree... call it a party, not a reception. Since it's so long after the wedding, you would skip all of the traditional wedding things (cake cutting, first dance, wearing a formal wedding dress, etc.) Also, DO NOT register for gifts, you should not mention gifts or expect them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • your wedding day is done. that's it. no reception a year later. you shold've had it then-you can't have it now.

• I think you can wear whatever you like for your reception/aniversary party!
    Don't let other people deter you from doing what you want to do!

I don't kow what the reasons were that you had to have a quickie wedding but sometimes life doesn't allow us all the time we need to plan our special day.  My Fiance and I are getting married ASAP because of his fathers poor health and how important it is to us that he be able to participate and enjoy our wedding. Our dream wedding was on a beach in Mexico but his father cannot fly due to his illness so we have changed our plans to accomodate.  But if I choose to have my 1 year anniversary on a beach in Mexico and renew my vows I won't let other people's opinions change my plans.

Do what makes you happy!
  • I agree with Jeke that you can do whatever you like.  No one really knows why it is a year later and really it is not their business.  I know a couple that chose to have 2 receptions and one was a year later for her family on the west coast.  it does not matter why she had the second one, it only matters that they wanted to do it and did.

I am also considering it as we moved our wedding out of the state where my friends are and my hubby will be back in Iraq-however the reason does not matter.  I am doing what I want to do and if I decide to wear my gown--I will look oh so good!!!
  • I agree do what you want.... I would nt call it a wedding recepton...Wear you wedding dress if you want.. you bought .. might as well enjoy it and have a great 1st annivsary party!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am also planning a "reception" 5 years later.  I never had the chance to have the big beautiful wedding that most girls dream of.  My husband and I just didn't have the funds.  So we are renewing our vows and celebrating it as if it were our dream wedding, minus the gifts of course.  I think it is important to do whatever you feel right in your heart.  Just because certain circumstances kept you from living your dream the first time around, doesn't mean you have to have that regret for the rest of your lives.  It is always great to celebrate Love. Do what makes you happy.   
  • To vsgal & sparrowsong:
    thanks for nothing, you dont have to be so rude. ever hear of the saying "if you dont have anything nice to say..."

to everyone else: thanks for your reply, I will have a celebration and i will wear my dress. My husband was ill and we didnt know where we were gonna be in a year and were not able to have the wedding we wanted, so we are going to have it now!
  • You should have any type of WEDDING reception that you would like! I disagree with everyone! My daughter got married last year right before her husband was deployed. He is back now and it's time for the wedding reception. Good Luck
  • You should have any type of WEDDING reception that you would like! I disagree with everyone! My daughter got married last year right before her husband was deployed. He is back now and it's time for the wedding reception. Good Luck

Why did you dig up a thread that's nearly FOUR YEARS OLD to tell the people who aren't even on TK anymore that you're planning to ignore etiquette?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards