Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Buttercream or Fondant?

2»

Re: Buttercream or Fondant?

• edited December 2011
    Buttercream will melt so quickly - so if your cake is sitting out for 8 hours don't expect your cake to look nice at the end of the day. Also - I wouldn't put it next to a window on a sunny day either. Fondant is generally used for all wedding cakes becuase it holds the cake in place for a lot longer than Buttercream cakes can and it looks prettier - you can be more elaborate with Fondant. Fondant however doesn't taste that great. I would talk to your baker and ask what options you have before you commit to either one style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm curious why a few people know what paste tastes like?!  lol :)

p.s.-- Fondant generally holds up better in the heat (important for us South Florida brides!!)

• alyzzle11alyzzle11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Being someone who actually does make wedding cakes, I would say it would depend on what you want to achieve with your cake.  Some looks are much more difficult to create with buttercream than fondant, and if they are possible they are usually much more labor intensive which will add to your cost.  Not all fondant's taste bad, but that depends on the baker.  There is also something called a buttercream fondant which is very good actually and tastes very similar to the buttercream frosting, the only drawback is how shiny it is.  I say, talk to your baker about what you want, and what he (or she) could do with just the buttercream, taste the fondant they would have and go from there!

• edited December 2011
    Buttercream darlin'

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mine will also be buttercream but also have very minimal fondant as the ribbon on the bottom of each tier (instead of real ribbon) & some on the center ribbon.  I wanted all the ribbon to be done in buttercream but because the cake is white & the ribbons are navy was told the navy would bleed into the rest so had to use fondant.
  • edited December 2011
    I am going with buttercream, mainly because of cost.  Maybe I am weird but I like the taste of fondant... maybe I just had a "good" fondant.
    Photobucket
  • whirlybird27whirlybird27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't know that you could only have buttercream if you wanted a smooth white cake...wonder why the buttercream one I was looking at was blue! ;)

I kid...but seriously unless the fondant is amazing go for buttercream. If you want color you can have it with buttercream too...not just a white or light colored cake. I have heard many complaints at weddings when there was fondant.  Sure people can take it off but why pay for something no one is going to eat! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    As others have mentioned, there are some REALLY yummy types of fondant out there as well as some REALLY lousy ones, the same holds true for buttercream...  Each baker is different and you've got to taste the product that they're using, nothing more nothing less. 
  • edited December 2011
    Not all fondant is created equal.  Some tastes great, some isn't even food.

Remember this, a slice of cake is 1" x 2" x 4".  Only 2" (the top part) will have fondant (unless the slice is an outside slice but there are not many of those).  So in reality there is only a tiny amount of fondant on each piece.  I don't know why people act like peeling off the fondant is this time consuming, difficult process. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards