Just Engaged and Proposals

Aww So Its Official

::Backstory::
Fi and I had already told everyone we were planning on getting married in May. We had been shopping around to get prices to see if we could afford to get married any time soon. We decided to book some vendors while we were out. Well, someone overheard us booking the DJ at a public place and blabbed to FI's sister who immediately told EVERYONE. All of FI's family, texted his friends, mutual friends of hers and mine, and anyone else she could tell. So everyone started questioning us and we just admitted it and changed our status on Facebook so people did not think we were hiding information from anyone or playing favorites. He hadnt given me the ring yet and I just figured he would give it to me when he was ready. He was really disappointed that us getting engaged really blow up in our faces and a lot of people were hurt over what his sister did.

Last night he took me out to dinner and to cruise the rivers. It was really sweet and fun plus dinner was awesome. After we got off the boat, he wanted to walk up to this outdoor plaza where they were having a water and lights show. We watched it for a bit. And he took me around back to where there was a monument of the first blast furnace in the city. He starting saying about how he was unsure what he had to offer me and how much he loved me then he pulled out the ring and got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I hugged him and kissed him and told him yes. It was hard to fight the tears because I was so happy. It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. Im so happy and cant stop smiling. He set up this big surprise for me all by himself and we had so much fun. The night could not have ended better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Aww So Its Official

• Congratulations! 

Just to let you know we were engaged before I got my ring too :). He gave me a very sweet proposal after the ring came in just the same.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Congratulations!!!!!

Awesome story...one you will tell your children some day I'm sure.

My fiance and I are also engaged and I don't have a ring yet...no one knows (yet)...there is a lot of tension between our families since he and I aren't exactly new at this (he's been engaged twice before and I've been engaged 3 times (once before to him)...any way - long story short, we found our way back to each other and are making it official in May 2014.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Congratulations, what a nice story. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_aww-so-its-official?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:f4d1338c-52be-454e-b3f2-539582ce7639Post:e9a21402-3c1a-430a-ac0d-9bc0dec934e0">Aww So Its Official</a>:
    [QUOTE]::Backstory:: Fi and I had already told everyone we were planning on getting married in May. We had been shopping around to get prices to see if we could afford to get married any time soon.<strong> We decided to book some vendors while we were out. Well, someone overheard us booking the DJ at a public place and blabbed to FI's sister who immediately told EVERYONE. All of FI's family, texted his friends, mutual friends of hers and mine, and anyone else she could tell. So everyone started questioning us and we just admitted it and changed our status on Facebook so people did not think we were hiding information from anyone or playing favorites. He hadnt given me the ring yet and I just figured he would give it to me when he was ready. He was really disappointed that us getting engaged really blow up in our faces and a lot of people were hurt over what his sister did.</strong> Last night he took me out to dinner and to cruise the rivers. It was really sweet and fun plus dinner was awesome. After we got off the boat, he wanted to walk up to this outdoor plaza where they were having a water and lights show. We watched it for a bit. And he took me around back to where there was a monument of the first blast furnace in the city. He starting saying about how he was unsure what he had to offer me and how much he loved me then he pulled out the ring and got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I hugged him and kissed him and told him yes. It was hard to fight the tears because I was so happy. It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. Im so happy and cant stop smiling. He set up this big surprise for me all by himself and we had so much fun. The night could not have ended better.
    Posted by daffydillie[/QUOTE]

For any lurkers who might be reading this, the bolded part is a really good reason not to do any formal wedding planning before you're [officially] engaged and have announced it to your families.

OP, I'm glad things are working out for you guys.
  • To be fair, we were talking to the DJ about a party we were hosting later in the summer and asked about his reception pricing. His sister ended up looking like a moron after everyone came over to our party and saw the DJ and had realised what had happened. ::shrugs::

People need to do what they feel is right. We decided we wanted to see what we could afford to do before we made any final decisions while we were planning a party. Some people shop for rings together and some dont. There are million things that go into wedding planning/engagements that everyone and someone is going to be hurt about. There were people hurt that FI did not consult him on the selection of a wedding ring, or how he was going to propose to me. At the end of the day, its what you feel is right.

But thank you for trying to use my engagement as a negative example of what not to do. Everything turned out great, his sister looks like the drama llama she is, and we have eliminated the drama long before our wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_aww-so-its-official?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:f4d1338c-52be-454e-b3f2-539582ce7639Post:e447894e-cc03-402c-8214-881a10669b77">Re: Aww So Its Official</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be fair, we were talking to the DJ about a party we were hosting later in the summer and asked about his reception pricing. His sister ended up looking like a moron after everyone came over to our party and saw the DJ and had realised what had happened. ::shrugs:: People need to do what they feel is right. We decided we wanted to see what we could afford to do before we made any final decisions while we were planning a party. Some people shop for rings together and some dont. There are million things that go into wedding planning/engagements that everyone and someone is going to be hurt about. There were people hurt that FI did not consult him on the selection of a wedding ring, or how he was going to propose to me. At the end of the day, its what you feel is right. <strong>But thank you for trying to use my engagement as a negative example of what not to do.</strong> Everything turned out great, his sister looks like the drama llama she is, and we have eliminated the drama long before our wedding.
    Posted by daffydillie[/QUOTE]

You're awesome. And right. Everyone's story is different and there's no absolute formula you can follow to avoid situations that aren't ideal. Your story sounds somewhat similar to mine. My guy bought my ring and it hasn't arrived yet. I'm not even certain when he is going to do the proposal. But we've had many conversations about things and recently decided to start booking venues so we don't miss out what the ceremony spot we really want. He hasn't asked "officially" and still wants it to be a surprise, but can't stop telling his family that he bought a ring and inviting them to our wedding in May 2013. He's excited, to say the least. We're engaged for all intents and purposes, but our story looks a little different than some, which is fine by me. All that matters to me is we love each other, we're booking a ceremony spot that has meant so much to me since childhood, and I'll be marrying the most AMAZING man in May 2013! Congrats to you, girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards