Getting in Shape

Recipes

I feel like we eat the same things over and over and basically I'm sick of it! I told FI I wanted to introduce a new dish each weekend. I got a few ideas from pinterest but wondered if any of you wanted to share?!

Re: Recipes

• I feel like we should have a sticky with just tried and tested recipes, maybe make sure to add a nutritional breakdown with them ( super easy to figure out if you pop all the ingredients into a recipe calculator) Any one else game for that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_recipes-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:3c93627f-dcfd-46ce-896d-6978d1b255ffPost:afe99590-5bc6-4b7f-9e9f-7cc65df704cb">Re: Recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like we should have a sticky with just tried and tested recipes, maybe make sure to add a nutritional breakdown with them ( super easy to figure out if you pop all the ingredients into a recipe calculator) Any one else game for that?
    Posted by souptin[/QUOTE]

Great idea!
  • Like the idea. Also would love to know where you can find a recipe calculator. I put it into my fitday.com account and find the calories, but don't know if there are specific calculators...
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • souptinsouptin member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Thanks Kwith!!
    to answer the recipe calculator question, I use the one on sparkpeople.

my first contribution is Spaghetti Squash with olives and feta:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/
    its super low in calories (under 200) super high in nutrition and deeeelllish! :

I fix it up by adding in some boneless skinless chicken and I always add extra veggies (broccoli, zucchini, spinach ect)  and lots of extra  olives which does affect the calorie count but with a dish this low already I feel I have room to play.

Oh and we roasted the seeds that we cleaned out  so we had an extra treat :)

Nutrition if made just to the recipe specks:

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 147

• Total Fat: 9.8g
    • Cholesterol: 17mg
    • Sodium: 269mg
    • Total Carbs: 12.8g
    •     Dietary Fiber: 1g
    • Protein: 4.1g
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sarah5200Sarah5200 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    We had spaghetti squash lasagna last night, mmmm mmm good!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 lasagna • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 7 pts
    Calories: 291.0 • Fat: 13.7 g • Protein: 19.6 g • Carb: 21.0 g • Fiber: 2.7 g
    Sodium: 358.3 mg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honey, I Shrunk My Thighs is a honey garlic marinated chicken thigh, and it is like crack it's so delicious.

12 bone-in chicken thighs, skinless (I have also used boneless, cooks faster)
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    2 tsp grated gingerroot
    1/2 tsp each ground curry and coriander
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients in a ziploc and marinade in fridge 4 hours to overnight. Grill until fully cooked. You can use the marinade as a sauce too, but be sure to bring it to a rolling boil for a few minutes to kill any bacteria from the raw chicken. Delish!

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 2 thighs Calories: 294.0 • Fat: 7 g (2g saturated) • Protein: 34g • Carb: 19.0 g • Fiber: 0 g
    Sodium: 445 mg
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't have it as well broken down as Souptin and Sarah5200, but I thought I would get it out there so there are more recipes added to the list that are good for you and good tasting...

Recipe is stir-fry with brown rice.

So, I cook brown rice and while that is going cut up all the veggies and separate them in two bowls. Those that need to cook longer and those that cook shorter. Then in a wok or just a large fying pan I add garlic and with like a teaspon of olive oil. I add about 1/2 cup chicken breast diced. Cook that until seared on outside. Then I add veggies. First the ones that need longer to cook like carrots, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts. I then add green or red bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms. Sometimes spinach (basically whatever attracted me at the store). I add a dash of red pepper seeds, a dash of sesame oil, and a dash of soy sauce for taste. Once looks cooked place on top of brown rice for serving.
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is one my my favorite ways to cook salmon- I'm not the biggest fan of salmon, but it's so good for you, and FI loves it.

It's from CookingLight.com

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
    • Calories: 378
    • Calories from fat: 33%
    • Fat: 13.9g
    • Saturated fat: 3.2g
    • Monounsaturated fat: 5.9g
    • Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
    • Protein: 38.8g
    • Carbohydrate: 22.6g
    • Fiber: 1.9g
    • Cholesterol: 87mg
    • Iron: 1.1mg
    • Sodium: 589mg
    • Calcium: 43mg
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Last nights dinner:

Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup with Shrimp
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 cup ea chopped onions, chopped red bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    2 tsp minced garlic
    4 cups cubed, peeled sweet potatoes
    1 tbsp grated ginger root
    3/4 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, and curry powder
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    2 cups chicken broth( I used homemade)
    1 can light coconut milk
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    3 tbsp each chopped fresh cilantro and chopped fresh basil leaves
    2 tbsp light peanut butter
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1 lb cooked medium shrimp, tails removed (thaw first if using frozen)

-heat olive oil in a large, non-stick soup pot over medium heat. And onions, red pepper, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 4 min.

-Stir in sweet potatoes, ginger root, cumin, coriander, curry powder, and cinnamon. Cook and stir 30 more seconds. Add broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 10 min, just until sweet potatoes are tender.

-Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return pureed soup to pot with remaining soup. Stir in cilantro, basil, peanut butter, brown sugar and lime juice. Mix well. Add shrimp and heat for about 2 min until shrimp is hot.

Makes 6 servings (About a generous 1.5 cups each) : 239 cal, 8.2g fat, 4.6 g saturated fat, 19 g protein, 24 g carb, 3 g fiber, 120mg cholesterol, 501 mg sodium.

***after I took out the 1/2 of soup to blend, I mashed the rest of the soup with a potato masher to have smaller chunks instead of big lumpy veggie pieces, I also doubled all the spices in this recipe and added in some sirachi hot sauce for a kick.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I make these quinoa-stuffed bell peppers once a month!  One thing you can do is make multiple batches of the filling, then just freeze it until you're ready to use it.  I freeze it in 2 serving packages, so if it is just me, or just me and FI I only have to use one pepper and defrost one package.
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/quinoa-stuffed-peppers-2/
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
    • 2 Tbs. olive oil
    • 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (½ cup)
    • 1 Tbs. ground cumin
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
    • 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    • 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
    • 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
    • ¾ cup quinoa
    • 3 large carrots, grated (1½ cups)
    • 1½ cups grated reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese, divided
    • 4 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed

1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.

2. Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.

4. Fill each bell pepper half with heaping ¾-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 Tbs. remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving. 

Per Stuffed pepper:

• Calories: 279
    • Protein: 14 g
    • Total Fat: 10 g
    • Saturated Fat: 3 g
    • Carbohydrates: 36 g
    • Cholesterol: 15 mg
    • Sodium: 518 mg
    • Fiber: 10 g
    • Sugar: 9 g
  • That looks delicious! making that for sure when we get back from HM!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards