Snarky Brides

Do you judge this?

Noodle and I have been going back and forth about getting a maid service to come in and clean our house (once it's done).  I will fully admit that we have no children and are not working 80 hours a week.  But goddamnit, I HATE cleaning.  And because Noodle is a super neat freak, it takes us 4 hours to clean our apartment every other Saturday.  Not to mention cleaning the kitchen after dinner each night, etc.  ANYWAYS.  Because our house will be bigger, I don't want to spend over half of my Saturdays cleaning.  So I want to have someone come in twice a month.  Noodle says it's lazy and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do it ourselves. 

Do you judge people who have housecleaners that don't "need" them?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

Re: Do you judge this?

• edited January 2012
    I don't judge that at all.  Why would that be judgworthy?  If I could afford hiring someone to come and clean my house every other week you bet your ass I'd do it.

My mom's had a cleaning lady for years.  She even hires someone to come in the spring and do her windows.
    panther
  • I think that it's a luxury for anyone, and if you can afford it... do it!
  • I don't. I'm considering the same thing once we move into a house.  Maybe it is lazy, whatever, but it saves me from doing something I hate doing.  Makes life happier.  That's the point, no?  I say do it. 

But I hate cleaning with a passion, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I don't judge it at all. If you are able to comfortably afford it, then hell yes I say go for it. Tell noodle you're just doing your part to stimulate the economy by creating a job. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would switch out my bi-weekly massages for the housekeeper so our finances wouldn't really change since they're both the same amount of money. 

Ew gross, I sounded like a real housewife.  What I'm saying is that it would be my monthly indulgence.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• No one "needs" a house cleaner but I think we all have things we don't really "need."  Doesn't mean we shouldn't have them if we want them and can afford them.
    panther
  • I have absolutely no judgement for people who use cleaners. If you can afford it, why not?
    Anniversary
  • I wouldn't judge that at all. If cleaning isn't your forte, you might as well hire someone to do it for you. I pay a guy to come out and mow our lawn twice a month. Sure, I'm fully capable of doing it myself (it's not that big of a yard), but I don't own a lawnmower, I don't know how to operate one, and they kind of intimidate me (deadly blades, plus I'm noise-sensitive, I don't even like the noise of a vacuum). I mean, hey it's your money, do what you want with it.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • No judging. 
    I am considering a housekeeper as well. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:0e6f51f6-06a8-4f8a-bd4e-1b5390d3fe2d">Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Noodle and I have been going back and forth about getting a maid service to come in and clean our house (once it's done).  I will fully admit that we have no children and are not working 80 hours a week.  But goddamnit, I HATE cleaning.  And because Noodle is a super neat freak, it takes us 4 hours to clean our apartment every other Saturday.  Not to mention cleaning the kitchen after dinner each night, etc.  ANYWAYS.  Because our house will be bigger, I don't want to spend over half of my Saturdays cleaning.  So I want to have someone come in twice a month.  Noodle says it's lazy and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do it ourselves.  <strong>Do you judge people who have housecleaners that don't "need" them?</strong>
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Not at all. For me it comes down to how much my free time is worth, and 4 hours on a Saturday is worth a LOT. Do it!
  • I have just decided that when we buy a house we are hiring a house cleaner.  Amen.
    panther
  • I think this is a totally legitimate use of your entertainment/play money and in no way do I  judge it. I'm sure many of us spend money are far more "stupid" shiit. I hate cleaning and the idea of someone to come do it for me makes me happy.
    Lizzie
  • H and I live in an 850 sq ft condo and we have a cleaning lady come in once a month.

It's amazing.

• What's the going rate for a cleaning lady?
    panther
  • We are also considering this too. We have no kids, we are both full time teachers.

But if you can afford it, and thats how you want to spend your money, go for it.

I agree cleaning is just SOOO time consuming and I would rather pay another person to do it for me.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:3b6d78aa-c243-48ad-a689-4326a7153bfa">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's the going rate for a cleaning lady?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

We pay $80/cleaning for once a month.  I think it would be $70/cleaning if we did it twice a month.  We also live in downtown Chicago.

My dad pays $40/week in the suburbs of Cleveland.
  • No judgement here - a bit of jealousy, but no judgement.  And I have no reason to be jealous actually because you're making a trade off just like I would have to but won't.  Besides, I'm one of those people that would clean before the cleaning person got there so what's the point?
  • I don't judge this at all. Do it! Think of all of time and stress you'll save. And you could just ask Noodle to give you massages (hubba hubba).

I'm pretty sure when we put our house back up for sale, I'll be hiring a cleaning person to come in every week. There is nothing I detest more than trying to clean our damn hardwood floors.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:98a26162-7a73-472d-9c00-c567dedd965b">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you judge this? : We pay $80/cleaning for once a month.  I think it would be $70/cleaning if we did it twice a month.  We also live in downtown Chicago. My dad pays $40/week in the suburbs of Cleveland.
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]

Omg that's like, nothing.  So worth it.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:73da8c57-7b09-4ed7-a21f-2f2b77fc17d6">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No judgement here - a bit of jealousy, but no judgement.  And I have no reason to be jealous actually because you're making a trade off just like I would have to but won't.  Besides, I'm one of those people that would clean before the cleaning person got there so what's the point?
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

Haha we always had to "clean" before the cleaning lady got to my parent's house.  But it was mostly like straightening up and de-cluttering to make sure that she had room to do her shiit.  We also had to take our sheets off our bed and take them down to the laundry room.  My mom would wash the sheets and the cleaning lady would make up all the beds.
    panther
  • There's a lot of things we don't NEED but I don't judge people for those, so neither do I for this. If we could afford it, I totally would. I hate cleaning and rarely do it. I tidy up a lot but I don't do big cleans very often. I'm gross.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:3b718f5f-befd-4f4e-99b7-077c21a8d077">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you judge this? : Omg that's like, nothing.  So worth it.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

My whole reasoning behind getting the cleaning lady is because H refused to clean.  Well not really refuse, but he would make excuses like "oh i don't feel well" or "the game is on".

$80/month is worth my sanity!  Ha.
  • Definitely not judgeworthy.  I would do it, if I could justify the money.  I don't mind general cleaning, but I hate cleaning the baseboards, walls, etc.  If I could have somebody come in once a month and do a deep clean on my house, I think it'd be amazing.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:9f9a3d22-f153-49d7-8355-2e69f597e762">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a lot of things we don't NEED but I don't judge people for those, so neither do I for this. If we could afford it, I totally would. I hate cleaning and rarely do it. I tidy up a lot but I don't do big cleans very often. I'm gross.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

I hate cleaning with a passion but I feel so much more obligated to do it now with having a dog in the house.  Motherfucker.  Everything gets so much nastier faster with her around.  I love her, but damn. 
    panther
  • My mom cleans houses on the side and I think she charges $20/hr and usually spends 3-4 hours at each house. Her friends cleans and charges $40/hr but she cleans for people with pets and kids.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:98a26162-7a73-472d-9c00-c567dedd965b">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you judge this? : We pay $80/cleaning for once a month.  I think it would be $70/cleaning if we did it twice a month.  We also live in downtown Chicago. My dad pays $40/week in the suburbs of Cleveland.
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]

I think thats about the same as here in So. CA.
    A cleaning person is also going to do more than the average person would IMO.
    I mean, I cant tell you the last time I got down and scrubbed the floor boards, but someone that you are paying is going to, KWIM?
  • I don't judge that at all.  I used to have a cleaning lady twice a month, and I really miss her.  I felt guilty at first, but then started seeing it simply as money well spent for services I didn't want to do myself.  I don't change the oil in my car myself for the same reason.  If I could comfortably afford it now, I would have a cleaning lady in a heartbeat. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • As soon as we have our house totally unpacked and organized we're hiring a cleaning service.  H doesn't know it yet.  My dad's old house cleaner was amazing.  His new house cleaner is kind of eh and I wish he's get a different one. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_judge-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2fad1a7f-1875-445d-8d34-196baa398ec3Post:2a575bfc-a24c-49e6-b670-d376fb9854ec">Re: Do you judge this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As soon as we have our house totally unpacked and organized we're hiring a cleaning service.  H doesn't know it yet.  My dad's old house cleaner was amazing.  His new house cleaner is kind of eh and I wish he's get a different one. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

They can be hard to find, especially in smaller towns like where I'm from.  My mom has had cleaning ladies for years but she went through quite few of them before finding the best ones ever.  One she had when they were still at the old house, my mom would routinely catch her standing around watching Soap operas.  She didn't last long.

When my parents moved to their new farm they were in the "coverage area" of these two sisters that cleaned houses together and they had the reputation of being like, the Holy Grail of cleaning ladies.  She was on a wait list to get them, lol, and she finally got them.  Sad thing though - one of them had to move away last year because her farm got flooded :( She and her H moved to Colorado so now just the one sister cleans houses.
    panther
  • I only judge it when people judge me for NOT having a house cleaner. That says to me that they think that certain people should clean houses, and other people are too good for it.

Also, I judge people who "hide" when the housekeeper comes - I had a friend in high school whose mother almost passed out because they had a snow day, and "what if the housekeeper saw them?" That was weird too.

But go for it :)
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards