Snarky Brides

Healthcare Mandate

I'm glued to SCOTUSBlog waiting for the decision.  It should be announced around approximately 10:15.  They are updating live here (clicky). 

What do you think will happen?

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

Re: Healthcare Mandate

• I think since its unconstitutional, it will be struck down.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I've been watching, too.

I'm hoping that they overturn the individual mandate. I would be ok if they left in no lifetime max, no pre-existing conditions, and I'm on the fence about staying on parents insurance until 26 but since they've already implemented that, I'm thinking they won't now kick those folks off. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the mandate will be struck down, too.  I am excited to read the decision.

• My parents left for vacation this morning and they don't have fancy smart phones. I stopped by their house on my way home last night and my Dad was instructing my mom that they would not be listening to cd's or ipods on the drive until after they heard the decision on the radio. lol

I love how much people are involved in this. It makes me happy to see that so many people actually do care what's going on around us. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a total Con Law nerd, and so is BF, so I'm excited to see him tonight to discuss the decision.  I'm looking forward to discussing with my family, too.  It's neat to be able to discuss this stuff with people who are ordinarily not interested in it at all.

The other decisions that are being handed down today are interesting, too.

• Every Thursday we have dinner with a group of friends who are big into politics, so I'm sure we will have an interesting time tonight, regardless of the decision.

Personally, I'd like to see the individual mandate be overturned. It's too much "the govt telling me what I can or can't do with my body" for me to be ok with it. I get why they think it's a good idea, the thought that if everyone is covered, then costs will go down, but you're still going to have people who don't pay bills or have shitt coverage that doesn't do squat for them. Plus if everyone has to have insurance, I can just imagine all of the fraud that's going to occur.
  • I'm hoping the mandate will hold. People forget that they're already paying for healthcare, because when people don't have insurance, they go to the ER for everything, which drives up everyone's health care. As someone who has a lot of serious medical issues, I'm pleased with the bill, but didn't think it went quite far enough. I hate how much more of a say my insurance has about my treatment than my Dr. does. Yell
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:128bf1f4-9960-415d-a1d4-da2c64d80f18">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a total Con Law nerd, and so is BF, so I'm excited to see him tonight to discuss the decision.  I'm looking forward to discussing with my family, too.  It's neat to be able to discuss this stuff with people who are ordinarily not interested in it at all. <strong>The other decisions that are being handed down today are interesting, too.</strong>
    Posted by Smash Adams[/QUOTE]

<div>I've been thinking this as well.  If the health care stuff wasn't going on, I think these other two issues would probably be pretty big ones on everyone's minds. </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I fortunately had long term disability insurance as well. If any of your employers offer this, and you DON'T have it, make sure you sign up for it ASAP. Glad I listened to my dad on this when I first started working. I thought of the "hit by a bus" scenario- not 2 autoimmune diseases by 30. You just never know!

I'm just glad my insurance, which I've had constantly and paid for, can't decide to drop me now, it's bad enough they forced me onto high dose steroids which caused me permanant damage, and fight me on every hospital stay...Yell
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:4fc3d2c0-e68a-4800-8d9c-61ff937b24f0">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking about the pre-existing conditions.  I get that it would suck to be diagnosed with a serious disease and not have insurance.  But that's also the point of insurance - you get it and hope you never have to use it.  So I pay premiums for 25 years and then get sick and I've got insurance to help out.  I've paid for that.  I dunno.   Our whole system is just effed.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]
    This is how I feel about it.  I realize that my POV is biased, however, because my sister's illness has resulted in her being denied coverage multiple times.  Her medications, with insurance, cost about $140 a month.  I worry about what will happen if she ever completely loses her insurance.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:3b31b9d7-c48a-4cb8-9983-1cd8d37f4086">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : This is how I feel about it.  I realize that my POV is biased, however, because my sister's illness has resulted in her being denied coverage multiple times.  Her medications, with insurance, cost about $140 a month.  I worry about what will happen if she ever completely loses her insurance.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>I shudder to think what H's medications would cost if he ever lost coverage.  I'm talking upwards of $10,000 a month.  That's freaking scary to think about it. </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:cf7768cc-4e2c-4775-8565-2e03339834c9">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : I shudder to think what H's medications would cost if he ever lost coverage.  I'm talking upwards of $10,000 a month.  That's freaking scary to think about it. 
    Posted by shaydenise[/QUOTE]

Mine are in that range, too (Humira). It's terrifying.
  • I'm also very interested in the Fast & Furious operation and if Holder will be held in contempt of Congress. I think he should be, but I'm biased because I think he's twatish anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:cf7768cc-4e2c-4775-8565-2e03339834c9">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : I shudder to think what H's medications would cost if he ever lost coverage.  I'm talking upwards of $10,000 a month.  That's freaking scary to think about it. 
    Posted by shaydenise[/QUOTE]
    It is a scary thing.  She had a weird coverage a few years ago where they had a $2,000 deductible for her doctor's visits and medications.  As in, she had to hit $2,000 with no coverage before they would pay anything.  She reached the deductible in six weeks.  It freaks me out.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:4fc3d2c0-e68a-4800-8d9c-61ff937b24f0">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking about the pre-existing conditions.  I get that it would suck to be diagnosed with a serious disease and not have insurance.  But that's also the point of insurance - you get it and hope you never have to use it.  So I pay premiums for 25 years and then get sick and I've got insurance to help out.  I've paid for that.  I dunno.   Our whole system is just effed.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Yea but sometimes people lose insurance due to jobs etc. If they get sick in that time they can't go get it in many cases. That is HORRIBLE.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:b18cf661-127e-4049-985d-71b6d46f510f">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also very interested in the Fast & Furious operation and if Holder will be held in contempt of Congress. I think he should be, but I'm biased because I think he's twatish anyway.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, this is a big one for me, too. I know a lot of people don't care for Ann Coulter, but she had a pretty good post about it last night on her website. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've almost always had insurance, but if I lost it now I wouldn't be able to afford it. Being automatically covered was a big reason why I got my job and stay with it now. I can't afford it independently due to pre-existing conditions.

Trying to find coverage before this job was miserable. So many of the agents I talked to treated me like I was some horrible person who went out and got sick on purpose or because I'm just irresponsible so I deserved to pay out the ass. I don't ever want to go through that again.
  • I just saw they threw out it being a crime to lie about military honors. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Smash AdamsSmash Adams member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    CNN's saying the individual mandate was killed.

Edit:  Scotusblog is saying it survives as a tax!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:f6345b77-0b89-4315-a305-acdd79f50a63">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]CNN's saying the individual mandate was killed. Edit:  Scotusblog is saying it survives as a tax!
    Posted by Smash Adams[/QUOTE]

<div>SCOTUSblog is saying something different.  I need to just look at one source instead of having like seven different ones up..</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • CNN's changed their headline now... I'd be more inclined to go with SB.  They're reading the opinion.

• I was wondering if it would get through as a tax!!! Makes a bit of sense

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:1bf9dde4-f344-42d5-b0d9-83f60740f685">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : Yes, I get that.  But you don't have to get insurance just through your employer.  I was thinking about it like this:  I pay insurance for years, get sick, I have coverage - so it's been like a medical savings account, if you will. <strong> Same person decides not to carry insurance, gets sick, and then they decide that they need insurance coverage and should get the same coverage that I've been paying for?  Doesn't make sense.</strong>  And if you get a major illness, wouldn't medicaid kick in at some point? On the other hand, I totally get what Shay & Bay are saying.  My dad takes about 24 pills every day from his lung transplant.  Without medicare, I can't imagine what the bills would be.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

That, from what I understood, was really the point behind the individual mandate. If everyone is forced to pay for insurance all the time - not just when they anticipate needing it, in theory it lowers costs for everyone. If people only elect to purchase insurance when they feel they are going to need it, the insurance companies end up paying out more than they take in. You can argue all you want about the profits insurance companies make, but at the end of the day, they are businesses and have shareholders who expect them to be profitable, employees who need to be paid, and customers who need to have access to coverage at reasonable rates.

I do not think that the current plan went about it in the right way and I really hope that if it is struck down, a more useful solution is created. Something needs to be done, but my concern is that this gets tossed out, and we're right back at where we started and it's years before another attempt is made to fix the system. It really does require a drastic change to the ENTIRE system, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • From SCOTUSBlog:  "The bottom line: the entire ACA is upheld, with the exception that the federal government's power to terminate states' Medicaid funds is narrowly read."

• The blog says it's been upheld as constitutional, CNN is saying it's been struck down as unconstitutional.  I'm confused.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • CNN is wrong, adamar.

• From Yahoo Finance -

Q: What happens if the court strikes down the requirement that everyone must have insurance, but leaves the rest of the Affordable Care Act in place?

A: People would have no obligation to carry insurance, but insurers would remain bound by the law to accept applicants regardless of medical condition and limit what they charge their oldest and sickest customers.

Studies suggest premiums in the individual health insurance market would jump by 10 percent to 30 percent.

Experts debate whether or not that would trigger the collapse of the market for individuals and small businesses, or just make coverage even harder to afford than it is now. In any event, there would be risks to the health care system. Fewer people would sign up for coverage.

The insurance mandate was primarily a means to an end, a way to create a big pool of customers and allow premiums to remain affordable. Other forms of arm-twisting could be found, including limited enrollment periods and penalties for late sign-up, but such approaches probably would require congressional cooperation.

Unless there's a political deal to fix it, the complicated legislation would get more difficult to carry out. Congressional Republicans say they will keep pushing for repeal.

Without the mandate, millions of uninsured low-income people still would get coverage through the law's Medicaid expansion. The problem would be the 10 million to 15 million middle class people expected to gain private insurance under the law. They would be eligible for federal subsidies, but premiums would get more expensive.

Taxes, Medicare cuts and penalties on employers not offering coverage would stay in place.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well then they need to get their shiiit straight.  That's got to be pretty embarrassing to incorrectly report something this big.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:7ebcdf08-5ee7-4ff6-8a2f-a82cb7c93955">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well then they need to get their shiiit straight.  That's got to be pretty embarrassing to incorrectly report something this big.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

<div>Truth.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My posts are slow, and basically irrelevant now. Looks like everything stands.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards