Michigan-Northern

Honeymoon in Northern Michigan

Hi all, I hope some of you locals can help me. I'm from Northwestern Pennsylvania, and FI and I want to take our honeymoon somewhere close, and we immediately thought of Michigan because we've heard how beautiful it is in August.

We love the outdoors, and would love to get a nice, modern cabin to spend a couple of nights in. I've gotten some information about Thunder Bay Resort with the Elk watching, but I'm not sure about it.

Any suggestions??

Re: Honeymoon in Northern Michigan

• Mackinac Island would be great!  Maybe a stop at Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Villiage on the way up or way back.
  • There are all sorts of beautiful places to stay in Northern Michigan. What are you interested in doing? Relaxing? Boating? Biking? Check out vrbo.com for houses and cabins to rent in St. Ignace, Mackinaw City (I'm getting married at the lighthouse on Lake Huron there!), Brimley (I know of one specifically that is on the shore of Lake Superior). The Paradise area is lovely. Mackinac Island is BEAUTIFUL but staying on the island that time of year can be expensive. It might be better to stay in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City and take the ferry over for the day.

What else do you want to know? What areas are you interested in? What's your budget like?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Proposal Site: 12/29/10 United States Capitol Building Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    If the outdoors is your thing, I'd recommend checking out Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. You'll love it, and there are lots of cabins (of all kinds) to be had up there. But be sure to rent early!
  • I'm a bit late to the posts here, but we stayed at this campsite a couple of years ago and it's wonderful. Great cabins, ask for a Lake Huron view. You can see the Mackinac Bridge from the cabin.

They have kitchens, but you need to bring your own bedding (I'm assuming you are driving)

http://www.campmackinaw.com/mackinaw_area_camping.htm?gclid=CIC7ptnh0rACFQrf4Aodbi1b0w

It's a fairly short drive to the ferries that take you to Mackinac Island. The island is lovely, no cars, just bikes and horses, but one day there is probably enough to see what you want to see. You can rent bikes and ride around the island to see the homes & scenery. If you like history, you can take a tour of Camp Mackinaw, which was used during the War of 1812.

With a car you can drive to Traverse City, which has winery tours and good restaurants. Petoskey is a cute little town with a Main St.

When we stayed at the campground above, we took a day trip up to Taquomenon Falls and Whitefish Point in the UP (upper peninsula). The falls are really pretty, and Whitefish Point is on Lake Superior, they have things about the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Lots of greenery in the UP, not activities unless you want to walk trails or see nature up close.
  • Mackinaw Island is always fun & beautiful for anyone! Ferry ride, rent a bike and tour the island, go to all the cutesy shops.

Traverse City is great too - lots of restaurants, downtown is great, bike trails, go wine tasting or just hang out at the beach or go visit the Sleeping Bear Dunes! Or head over and tube/kayak down the Platte River. I reccomend Timber Ridge Resort - they have cute little cabins you can rent. Hang out have a BBQ, only a few minutes away from all the fun stuff of TC.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards