Second Weddings

Shopping for dress with fiance?

What do you think? We're going to see each other before because we're doing a lot of the formal pics before the wedding.  He's available to go with me in the morning during the week next week, so what do you think?  In a way I'd prefer a girlfriend because I like their input...  But I think it might be fun to take my fiance, too.  I guess I could try it one day and see how it goes.

Re: Shopping for dress with fiance?

• melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I picked out mine together.  It's a special order, so he won't see me IN it until I walk down the aisle, but I certainly wanted to know he didn't detest the style/design before spending that much on a dress that, ultimately, is to spend one day in, celebrating becoming his wife.

Plus, I know he'd be more honest with me about what would be flattering to/on me than any of my female friends. 
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    My FI will be coming with me to shop for my dress. He said if he's paying for the wedding he wants to have his say in what I'm wearing :)
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like it would be fun (more for me than for him, though!).  I'm so all-over-the-page with what I want.  When I settle in on what I want, I'm sure he wouldn't mind coming along!
  • edited December 2011
    I really wanted my Fiance to like my gown. So I showed him pics and got an idea of what he liked. When I found "the one" I had many pics taken of me in the gown and I sent them to him to see them. He loves the gown. Am I worried he saw me in it already? No way because he wont' remember when it gets to the day.
    So I think it's ok for you to take him with you to get his imput.

What upset me is I showed FI a pic of my bouquet and he looked at it and stated emphatically ITS UGLY. It has color and he thought I would carry white flowers.
    Of course he is fine with whatever I carry. He's going to lose out on this one because there is nothing ugly about this gorgeous orchid bouquet:
  • edited December 2011
    I agree if you want to take him and he wants to go then go for it! My DH didn't want to see me at all in any dress that would look like my dress. He didn't want to know the design he wanted it to be a total suprise. So he didn't until we walked down the aisle.

I can't stress enough it is your day if it is what you want then you should do it period! Don't let what others sway you people get wierd with weddings. Do what makes you happy!
  • 336339336339 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is such a cute post! :-)
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In both of my weddings, I've taken my FI dress shopping with me.  The second time, it was kind of a necessity, since my now wife and I were trying to coordinate dresses.  However, even for the first wedding, I wanted to make sure that what I wore would be something he liked.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see anything wrong with it. But you really can't expect our fiances to be experts when it comes to dresses. Most of them don't really care anyway. :) They always seem to think that we're beautiful no matter what we're wearing on the wedding day.
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine came with me--I didn't expect him to be a dress expert, but to give me an opinion of what HE liked me in.  It worked perfectly, because up to that point, I'd tried on over 100 dresses and couldn't find any that I loved.  He loved the one I ended up buying and wearing.
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with the rest of the board....my FI was worried about me choosing something he liked rather than something I liked, but, as I told him, I want his jaw to hit the ground when he sees me in my wedding dress. So it needs to be what works for both of us. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I plan to take my fiance.  He has fabulous taste when it comes to clothes.  Seriously.  He is better than going with my girlfriends :) 
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_shopping-dress-fiance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:c17d48f5-e6d5-4a2e-a785-778f45963f99Post:d7ccfe32-ba11-48ab-bdd7-ad56b4c1c366">Re: Shopping for dress with fiance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm with the rest of the board....my FI was worried about me choosing something he liked rather than something I liked, but, as I told him, I want his jaw to hit the ground when he sees me in my wedding dress. So it needs to be what works for both of us. :)
    Posted by scoop69[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure my wife decided on her gown when she tried one on, and I gave an audible gasp on seeing her.  She liked it, too, but I think my reaction was what decided her.
  • AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2d - i saw an episode of 'say yes to the dress' that featured two women - and the described the challenge of finding coordinating dresses that fit the bodies and personalities of each of the brides. complex!  your posts make it sound easy. :)
  • embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_shopping-dress-fiance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:c17d48f5-e6d5-4a2e-a785-778f45963f99Post:eda73c90-e65e-485b-b188-da40819d71a5">Re: Shopping for dress with fiance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I plan to take my fiance.  He has fabulous taste when it comes to clothes.  Seriously.  He is better than going with my girlfriends :) 
    Posted by LilyTucker2011[/QUOTE]

Same here!

I didn't take my fiance with me, because I wasn't planning on dress shopping on the day I bought my dress (I was actually going dress shopping with my aunt, whose wedding is 10 days before mine!).  However, when I tried it on, I took a bunch of pictures and texted them to FH.  I truly value his opinion when it comes to clothes -- not only do I know he'll be honest about how something looks, I wanted to make sure he LOVED the dress as much as I did.

The girls in the bridal shop, including my aunt, were absolutely horrified that FH was one of the first people to see the dress (and I even tried it on for him when I got home that night!), but it was really important to me to get his input. :)  Besides, we're not doing a single traditional thing in this wedding... why should this part be any different?
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_shopping-dress-fiance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:c17d48f5-e6d5-4a2e-a785-778f45963f99Post:8a863bb4-8d50-49e9-8798-bacf9f1efb32">Re: Shopping for dress with fiance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]2d - i saw an episode of 'say yes to the dress' that featured two women - and the described the challenge of finding coordinating dresses that fit the bodies and personalities of each of the brides. complex!  your posts make it sound easy. :)
    Posted by AdelphiTN[/QUOTE]It was easy for us, only because we found a bridal shop that <em>made</em> it easy.  When  we came in, we thought that we'd never be able to match two wedding dresses for two women of such different sizes and shapes.  I am 5'10", she is 5'1".  I am size 16, she is size 10.  She is so top-heavy that she was not willing to consider a strapless.  I am so bottom-heavy that I wanted anything that would draw the eye upward.  Plus, because we needed two dresses, we didn't want to spend more than $500 on each.

I was thinking maybe I should get an evening gown or MOB dress so that they would not look like we had <em>tried</em> to match them.  The consultant picked out a dress that looked absolutely gorgeous on NotFroofy.  She also picked out a MOB dress for me.  However, when I saw NotFroofy in her dress, I knew that if I wore <em>any</em> MOB dress, I would look like I had straggled in from the wrong wedding next to her.  So I asked about a wedding dress for me.  The one the consultant brought out was a different designer, was strapless, and was my size.  However, both dresses had really clean, simple lines.  In both, the major design was the embroidery.  So they really looked like they were meant to go together.

This bridal consultant had never dealt with a same-sex couple before.  However, she had a great eye, and she worked similar magic with our veils.  Ironically, I ended up with a David's Bridal dress, even though I had had a completely unsatisfactory experience at David's Bridal itself.  It was her skill that made the sales.
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've debated about this too, but decided that I want to suprise him.  Plus, he would tell me I looked great in any & wouldn't be any help!  LOL  But, I am nervous cause I want his jaw to hit the floor when he sees me.  Definately want the "wow factor" from him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • divinecomedydivinecomedy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I were just talking about this last night! As I said to him, he's my best friend and it matters more to me what he thinks of the dress than anyone else. So I asked him to come along with me, and we're both really excited about it. :)
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't thrilled about taking the FI with me to look at gowns, and the first three boutiques I went to I went alone.  One of the boutiques the owner was rude (no sale for her. Another she was too pushy and in a hurry to sell me her floor sample (she had only seen it on me, and it was the ONE in her mind). The third one wasn't in my price range but I did try on a few samples that weren't my style and got bit by a spider! 

Still hunting, was on an outing just the FI and I, and I wanted to know where this one boutique was.  Needless to say he saw me in a total of 5 dresses, and there were two that he really liked. Here's the catch, when we got home he told me that he wants the dress to be a total surprise on that day.  At least I know what styles he likes best on me and why and that should be a help.

So it's up to you and your FI.  My FI is my bestfriend and normally who I want to share everything with - except he's decided that all he wants to know about the dress before our day is when my fittings are.
  • debnchrisdebnchris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is funny I took my FI with me dress shopping and he ran out like a little kid! I was a VERY small shop so I can totally understand but it was pretty funny. I'm on my own from this point on!
  • aufschreiaufschrei member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's 2nd time around for both me and my FI, so we threw tradition WAAAAAYYY aside.  We were both online and just started pointing to the dresses we both liked.  We found one we were crazy about and ordered it.  He even saw me in it when I tried it on. We even stumbled upon the perfect shoes to match my dress.  On the other foot...I helped him pick out his suit.  I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiancee is SO not into shopping, so I knew he wouldnt go with me! So what I did was send an email with links to about 10 different dresses (I 'stole' this idea from Say Yes to the Dress) and askied him to point out 2 or 3 faves, and tell me whichever ones he hated! Well I was on the fence, I liked 2 of them equally...one of my faves was his fave, and one of my faves he hated! So I will be wearing his favorite!! Plus, I love him dearly but I am pretty sure he will forget what it looked like by then, so it will still be like a surprise for him!
  • c_tina05c_tina05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for posting your stories about dress shopping with your fiances! I've gone dress shopping once already with my entourage of mothers, sisters and bridesmaids and I'm now at it again (because of a few pricing surprises--darnit). The first time was thoroughly overwhelming, to say the least, and I kept thinking to myself the whole day that all I really wanted was to hear what my fiance had to say! I've been debating back and forth about taking him with me for the next dress-shopping adventure and thanks to the stories I've read here, I've decided to ask him along. We've lived together for 3 years, do everythig together, and I consider him my best friend. His opinion is the one I value most.

Thanks for helping me decide :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards