Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Father and Step-Father- Who walks me down the aisle?

I've grown up with divorced parents. My mother was remarried when I was young and I consider my step-father to be a dad to me. But I am also very close with my biological father, and grew up seeing him every weekend. I want my father to walk me down the aisle, but don't want to hurt my step-father's feelings (he's a very emotional man). Any easy way to let him know? What is the ettiquette on this modern phenomenon?
~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father and Step-Father- Who walks me down the aisle?

• I'm walking down with one on each arm.
    :)
  • I'm walking with my mom.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in the same kind of situation. I grew up with my step dad (married my mom when I was 2) and would see my father over holiday breaks or summers. I'm not as close to him, but I am choosing for both to walk me down, or one half-way and then the other. Either way they will both be represented as parents in my wedding. Not sure what to do about my step mom though honestly. She's my father's third wife and they've been married 11 years but I'm not very close to her. I suppose she'll just sit with the other parents.

• On a different, but related note, I've been thinking about the father-daughter and step-father-daughter dances and have come up with an idea I wanted to run by you ladies.

I'm thinking of dancing to "Sweet child 'o mine" with my father (he's very rock'n'roll), and then something more traditional, but not specifically a father-daughter song, like "What a wonderful world", with my step-father, and having my FI dance with my mother during the same song. I thought this would be a nice gesture and allude to our families joining together.

I want my dance with my father to be seperate and more significant, but am very close with my step-father too and want to include him, without putting him at the same level as my father... if that makes sense.

Any thoughts?
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My cousin had both dads walk her down the aisle - one on each arm as was suggested in PP.  Also, I like your idea of doing a dance with both.  I think you have the right idea about involving all the parents and I'm sure they will all appreciate whatever you decide.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards