Canada

Ladies...Share your Dress Shopping Experience and Pics here!!

Hi everyone, I am really excited about my final decision on a gown and I thought it would be interesting for us to share our stories and post our pictures. 

I am a first time but older bride and I was not really interested in something strapless.  I dropped in to a bridal shop to see what I was in for and the consultant showed me some of the options and asked me some questions about what I wanted on my special day.  She gave me a brial magazine to look through and the information to her website.  I was able to check some of the manufacturers online and found a designer that offered dresses that were NOT strapless.  I went back to the consultant with my pictures and she pulled out a dress from the same designer, bonny, with the same style but strapless for me to try on before making my final decision....I chose ivory for the color and here it is!! 

Re: Ladies...Share your Dress Shopping Experience and Pics here!!

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went shopping with my mom and MOH and ended up getting the first dress I tried on.  I tried on about 10 after that - mom and MOH kept making me try on all these dresses I thought would be crazy but were actually very nice.  In the end, I really loved the first one.  It is a Pronovias dress, and I got it at Becker's on Danforth.  No tears or extreme emotions - that's not me - but I was very happy!

Here is me on my dress the day I bought it:

And here it is on my wedding day:

Just a note that a lot of designers or seamstresses will also add straps or cap sleeves to a dress that is strapless - in case you find the body of a strapless dress you love!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First, I went with my husband (then-FI of course!) and his best friend who is kind of a fashionista. I was excited about my first shopping trip and it was fun, but I found myself feeling nervous about modeling dresses for someone who had so much feedback (the fashionista). "This one feels too prom-y," "This shape isn't great," "This one's OK but way glittery." etc. That was also a pricier store where the consultant brought dresses into the room for me, and I didn't feel like she really got me. (I guess I expected the SYTTD experience where the consultant would just find me the PERFECT dress!)

My second trip, I went just with DH. He only gave me short, sweet answers - "Looks good," or "Eh, no." But he was bang on every time.

My third trip, I went with my BM who was the opposite from the first friend - she wasn't much of a fashion buff and although she had some opinions, I realized that she was nervous about making me feel bad. So I felt like her feedback wasn't genuine.

Anyway, my fourth trip I brought DH again and found The One. I can't say that either of gushed over the dress but his approval combined with me feeling great in the dress confirmed that it was indeed The One.

I didn't get a chance to go with my MOH or my mom, which I do feel kind of bad about in the end... but there was a discount on it that day so I didn't want to wait.

Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I went with my mom, MOH, and my sister (a BM).  They were so helpful to bring along, as they are so honest, but they always let me talk first, which was great.  First store we went to, after trying on a couple dresses, tried a dress on that almost made MOH cry.  It was a pretty sweet dress, and probably would have went back to try it on had "the dress" hadn't come later...(possible foreshadowing..?haha!)
    Made it to the second store..at this point I stood in the changing area as mom, MOH, and sis kept pulling dresses and giving them to my salesperson.  It got to the point where they didn't even know who picked each one..haha!  So during all this, I put on a dress that I'm instantly in love with.  There was no wearing it around for a few minutes having it grow on me, I loved it.  But, I like to give things a chance, so tried a couple more on after that.  Of course I kept thinking about that dress, so they gave me a veil to sample, and once that was on I knew I was going to get married in that dress!
    Took a coffee break to talk, went to one more store, but my heart was absolutely not in it.  Tried on one dress there that I knew had I tried it on first, probably would have loved it too..but it couldn't beat the dress from the second store!
    Gave myself a couple weeks off, even went to another store with MOH to try a couple on because they were having a sale, still couldn't do it, felt like I was cheating on "the" dress..so a week later I went back with mom, MOH, sis, another bridesmaid, and my dad...and placed the order!
    Share this computer with FI..so I can't save any pics on here in case he snoops, but here's the link to the picture:
    http://sophiatolli.com/item/?i=Y21058&collection=Sophia Tolli - Bridal
    Yay!
    Congrats to you girls!!
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies those dresses are all BEAUTIFUL!

I went shopping 4 times.  It was crazy.  The first time I found some I liked, with mom, but nothing spectacular.  The second, with mom and sis, nothing at all.  The third I went with my aunt and cousin when I was visiting them.  I found one that *might* be the one.  But I wanted to make sure.  So I went for one final trip...We were there for 2.5 hours!! HOLY HELL! Trying on dresses is tiring, and fun, and sweaty, and hot, and exciting and frustrating!And then I saw it.  A dress that I never thought I'd like.  It was a dress that had pick-ups...which until now I thought would look AWFUL on me.  Then my consultant told me to try it.  I didn't know if it would work but it was the last dress she had in the room (after 2.5 hours!) so I said yes.  It was plain so she added a really nice red sash and...TADA!! This is the dress.  I knew the minute I walked out of the room.  It wasn't too fancy, it wasn't glittery, it was fun, it moved and swung around and it was different from anything I'd ever worn.  It made me smile, in fact my sister said it made my eyes light up (although in the pic I think I look like I'm ready to die from exhaustion!).  I loved it.  Mom immediately started crying (good sign!) and her BFF pulled out her tissue too.  It's wonderful.  It's comfortable.  It's fun and different and I LOVE it.  Oh, and it was only HALF OF MY BUDGET! 

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Best experience EVAR.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • kristalmscottkristalmscott member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was a last minute decision to go to this Gala Expo, where the set-up was much like Filene's basement but on a much smaller scale (just a small city). A co-worker of mine told me about it and a couple days before the gala another friend and I decided we should go (she's engaged as well). My mother came with us as helped us both in finding dresses to try on, etc.  It was actually the first dress I tried on, but of course I tried on others, about 5 or so, but came back to the first one.  I actually pictured getting a chiffon dress because I loved the soft flowy look of them, but in the end I went with the lace dress. It was a fun experience, but I wish that my MOH could have been there (also, sometimes I second guess myself and think that maybe I should have gone to more than one place...but oh well!)

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Everything but the Dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    56 image 39 image 4 image 11 image
  • edited December 2011
    I started shopping early because I'm usually picky, and I figured it would take a long time. I went the first time with my mom, magazine tearouts in hand. We found three that I liked, but one stuck in my head. So, I took my MOH out with me a second day to see the dresses without telling her which I liked best, and before she even agreed with me, I had made up my mind. I was shocked at how quickly I found the dress. There were no tears, it just felt right. Then, when I tried it on with a veil, I had my moment. To top it all off, I was able to get the dress (Maggie Sottero's Harlow) at a sample sale and saved 50%!! I love my dress, but sometimes when I drive by bridal stores, I get a little sad that the experience went by so quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I haven't went dress shopping yet, i'm kinda afraid to go. i think i'll cry on every dress i try on....i get real emotional about this for some reason..lol...Anyways, i have my eyes on this dress made by Lazaro, i'm just in love with it, but its in toronto..its he closest dealer that has Lazaro in Canada.Hopefully it wont be discontinued.
  • edited December 2011
    Nemo--I thought I would cry too...but I ended up having way too much fun to think about it!
    That's a beautiful dress you like.  Just remember when you actually do go dress shopping to keep an open mind..most people I talk to ended up with a completely different dress than what they thought they were going to get! (As for me..I had no idea what I wanted! But am happy I got what I did!)
  • edited December 2011
    This is question to anyone... Do u need to make a appt to go into a bridal shop? I  thought they were walk ins, i wanna just walk in and get an idea of prices...

I will keep an open mind, if i could i'd go see Randy from SYTTD  and let him pick one but dont have a passport yet....LOL...I know i dont want princess, i dont like poof and i dont want to look like a barbie cake!!!! And i know the dresses dont look the same on the hanger as on me...Thank you
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't have to make any appointments.  I think it depends where you are..how busy each place is and such.  But no appointments here (Saskatoon)!

Haha...getting Randy's opnion would be PRETTY sweet!
  • edited December 2011
    I made appointments when I went. But it depends on the store, your location, and the day of the week. Some days I was glad I made an appointment - it meant somebody was available, and there was a changing room. Other days I wouldn't have needed one at all. I suggest calling ahead to see what the store policies are.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I suggest you just give the bridal shop a call to see what they prefer.  In my area I went during the weekdays so I had no issues but on the weekend I went in to give my deposit I did have to wait a little while.  Good luck, have fun and remember to have an open mind and a bottle of water!!

Also, I would also love to have Randy's opinion on a dress...I find him so entertaining on Say Yes to the Dress!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards