Registry and Gift Forum

opening gifts at the reception?

I was wondering what you all think of opening gifts at the reception. My fiance says he's seen quite a few of the couples' weddings he's been to have done this. On the other hand, my mom and I have never seen it done. We will most likely not be having a gift opening or a brunch after the wedding, so we were attempting to find how we can fit it in otherwise.
Your opinions are appreciated! Thank you!

Re: opening gifts at the reception?

• edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_opening-gifts-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e0871e53-2168-4960-bde2-d0731d7bace5Post:6a356604-6357-421a-ad9e-47e8bcfd8ac5">opening gifts at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering what you all think of opening gifts at the reception. My fiance says he's seen quite a few of the couples' weddings he's been to have done this. On the other hand, my mom and I have never seen it done. We will most likely not be having a gift opening or a brunch after the wedding, so we were attempting to find how we can fit it in otherwise. Your opinions are appreciated! Thank you!
    Posted by Madison Speers[/QUOTE]

<div>I wouldn't. That's what Bridal Showers are for. Can't you guys wait to open the present after the wedding is over? Why would you want to spend time with the presents instead of your guests at the reception?</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with you and your mother.  I've never seen it done either!  At least the way my day went, it would not have been practical AT ALL to try opening gifts at the reception.  Too many other things to do and people to acknowledge!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I've never seen it done, either.  I think it's a bad idea - like PP said, why would you want to waste time doing that when you could be socializing, dancing, and generally enjoying your reception?  Personally, I feel like watching people open gifts is incredibly boring.  Plus, most of our gifts were cards filled with checks, which would be really weird to open in front of a crowd.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have never been to a wedding where gifts are opened at the reception. I think it would be very awkward.  
  • I think that it would be awkward for you!  I hate opening gifts when all eyes are on me.  Geez, I wonder how it'll be at my bridal shower.....
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    Definitely not.  Many people give cash as a wedding gift, and others will ship a gift to your home, so you may not have that many things to open.  Also, gift-giving is not required at weddings, so I think that opening everything at the reception would highlight those that didn't give and make them feel bad about something that they really shouldn't feel bad about.
  • I'm with you and mom. Don't do it.  I've never seen it done because no one brings boxed gifts to weddings around here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That used to happen in the 60s.  People would actually make home movies of couples opening gifts and then show the movie at family dinners - no lie, happened to us at aunt's house.

I haven't seen it done since then.  People don't want to sit through that at a reception. If you want to invite your parents, grandparents to watch you open gifts the next day or when you get home from your honeymoon, that's one thing but not at the reception. 

Would YOU want to go to a wedding and then sit through that?
  • I have never been to a reception where the couple opened gifts & quite frankly I wouldnt want to go to one. I would be bored out of my mind if I had to sit there and watch it. I also find it rude that the couple would be making it public who gave what, who gave more than who & who wasnt able to give/didnt give. I would much rather do that at home with my husband.

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've never seen this before.

99% of our wedding gifts were shipped to our home in England, and only one person brought a physical gift to our reception (it was a family heirloom, so she wanted to make sure we got it okay).   I've always heard it's generally better to ship gifts to the couple's home so nobody has to worry about transporting gifts to/from the wedding or worry about security issues at the venue (sometimes gifts get stolen, sad but true).

If I was at a wedding reception and the B&G started opening gifts in front of everyone,I would probably leave...it's boring, and I would have already had the gift shipped to their home, so I wouldn't get to see them open my gift anyway...

DSC_9275
  • I have never seen that done, either.

In addition to the other remarks, openning the gifts will make it harder to move them back to your home. You'll also increase the chances of seperating the gifts from their cards.

• I saw this done the morning after the reception, at the hotel where everyone was staying.  Some other attendees and I just noticed it in passing on the way back from breakfast, and we all kind of rolled our eyes.  The groom was known for being a huge showoff in just about everything he did, so it wasn't much of a surprise that they were opening gifts in front of a bunch of people. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_opening-gifts-at-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e0871e53-2168-4960-bde2-d0731d7bace5Post:6a356604-6357-421a-ad9e-47e8bcfd8ac5">opening gifts at the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering what you all think of opening gifts at the reception. My fiance says he's seen quite a few of the couples' weddings he's been to have done this. On the other hand, my mom and I have never seen it done. We will most likely not be having a gift opening or a brunch after the wedding, so we were attempting to find how we can fit it in otherwise. Your opinions are appreciated! Thank you!
    Posted by Madison Speers[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I would advise against it. My future in-laws did it at their wedding and said it was a HUGE mistake and they very much regretted it. They said it was so long and drawn out and awkward and they would have much rather spent that time enjoying the company of their guests. I also agree that it may highlight those who were not able to bring something or have already sent it or brought cash. You certainly don't want your guests to feel bad on your special day. I say wait and do it on your own time, some of people would probably end up leaving if you were to do that. </div>
  • A friend of mine had her bridal party + a few close friends back to their house to watch them open gifts.  The experience, while I think fun for them (she didn't have a shower), sucked for me as a guest.  Her mom helped take notes of what people gave them and the bride and groom commented on the value of gifts/checks.  It was really awkward when "Oh!  Betty got us towels..." was followed by "OMG MY STAND MIXER!!!  THANK YOU JACKIE!" and Betty and Jackie were sitting right next to eachother.  I was embarissed for the couple and just wanted to leave, but I had to wait until my gift was opened....last.  It added HOURS to the day (it was a morning wedding).  Please, skip this and open your wedding gifts privately!

*names changed
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I've seen gifts opened with immediate family during a morning after brunch, but never gifts opened at the reception itself. I definitely wouldn't do it.
    Lizzie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards