Louisiana-New Orleans

DJ suggestions

I need help deciding on a DJ. Our wedding is next April at the Bourbn Orleans, and I am an OTT bride.  I know that bands are typically the way to go down there, but we simply cannot afford one.  The music is a high priority for me and want some level of control as far as what gets played that night.  Can anyone make any suggestions for me please?  I've been to too many weddings where the music was horrible and I've always told myself I wouldn't let that happen at my wedding.  Thanks!

Re: DJ suggestions

• edited December 2011
    Complete music out of baton rouge has a great reputation. A lot of brides in BR favor DJ's over bands so their DJ's really have their stuff together. Complete music has contracts with venues in BR so that alone says a lot.
  • edited December 2011
    We used David Storm with Omega Sound & Entertainment and he was awesome! He played great music that my husband and I had a hand in selecting and even sang and danced with us. I've been to weddings with bands, I think mine was way more fun...but that's probably because it was mine...lol. Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011

I am using Decades Music - Rick is the owner. They also are highly recommended by many hotels in the French Quarter.

• edited December 2011
    My wedding planner is recommending Decades as well.  Has anyone had any experiences with them? good or bad?
  • edited December 2011
    We were going with Decades until recently, as in today!  We canceled our Level 2 with them because I had read numerous bad reviews on the Level 2.  We tried to get a Level 1 but they were booked.  Rick seems nice, but he tried to blame me for the confusion by saying I don't know what I want, when in fact I do.  We are probably going with a DJ that my family knows and is fairly priced.  I have heard that Omega and Oo La La Dj's are good as well.  Good luck!
  • katiekatzkatiekatz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are using Omega as well. They have been great to work with so far and have really good reviews from what I could find. I thought they were priced reasonably too!

• BrandybrennaBrandybrenna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Aaron Lane
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using DJ David Storm with Omega as well. He did my sister's wedding. He was very nice on the phone and answered all of my questions. It was a little hard to get in touch with him, but he said they were very busy with graduations and proms.

He was about $500 for 3 hours with franch quarter parking, about $800 if you want uplights.

He said they play 95% percent of what you request and suppliment the rest accordingly. If you want no requests they will do it. There will also be lists that you can make of "must" and "no" played songs.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• DenyseSDenyseS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going with Ron Folse.  Don't really know much about him except my friend went to a wedding he was at and suggested him and he was afforable.  380.00 and and 80.00 deposit for up to 4 hours.  He was extremly quick relpying to my emails and questions and very nice. I decided on him b/c he has small equipment to fit small venues although I am pretty sure that is common in NOLA. 

I am also getting married at the bourbon orleans in the st. ann's cottage next march.  Have you set up your room block yet?  I was a little surprised there did not seem to be any discount for blocking a group of 20 versus rates people can find on thier own.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  Looks like I have research to do! 

DenyseS:  I was really surprized at the rates not being discounted as well, but I'm finding that elsewhere too.  I guess it just guaratees that your guests will have a place to sleep.

I love the St. Anne Cottage! It's sooo cute, I'm really excited about using it for my wedding.  Can I ask you a few questions? 
    What time is your reception starting? 
    Have you seen the room at night?
    Does it need extra lights? 
    How many people are you inviting?
    Are you having a cocktail or sit-down dinner?
    Are you using their chairs or renting?

Sorry for bombarding you, I've only seen the room in person during the day, and being out of town, I might not get to see it again until we get married.

Thanks!
  • DenyseSDenyseS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_dj-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:6f4c2dbc-6ac1-46f3-8eee-8c9c7e6041ccPost:e3e6a05a-aa13-4226-b250-a1d6c34e642c">Re: DJ suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  Looks like I have research to do!  DenyseS:  I was really surprized at the rates not being discounted as well, but I'm finding that elsewhere too.  I guess it just guaratees that your guests will have a place to sleep. I love the St. Anne Cottage! It's sooo cute, I'm really excited about using it for my wedding.  Can I ask you a few questions?  What time is your reception starting?  Have you seen the room at night? Does it need extra lights?  How many people are you inviting? Are you having a cocktail or sit-down dinner? Are you using their chairs or renting? Sorry for bombarding you, I've only seen the room in person during the day, and being out of town, I might not get to see it again until we get married. Thanks!
    Posted by jlearish[/QUOTE]

Our reception is at 6:30 following a 6 pm ceremony. We are doing the French quarter fairy tale reception package.

I've seen it when it was almost nighttime when they were setting up for a wedding it was beautiful.  I would probably add some extra candles and christmas lights in the trees etc in the courtyard.

I haven't really decided about the chairs but if I use thier I will get the chair covers the hotel can provide. they are 3.00 each.  We are inviting 50.  An NP about bombarding me.  I only live 45 min from there and will be getting out that way pretty often if there is anything you ever want to know.
  • edited December 2011
    I highly recommend David with Omega Sound and Entertainment. He was GREAT! I had some odd requests for our ceremony and he totally delivered. You get your own event planning page online when you book him and can decide what songs are played pretty much whenever. He was super nice and kept the party going when it started to die down a little bit, also played the perfect assortment of music for our different guests.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards