Ohio-Toledo

Anyone used DB for alterations?

If so, what was your experience like?

My mom thinks we should just go to David's for the alterations, but I'm leaning toward using Pam Thomas.  Any advice?  I know this should not be that hard!

Re: Anyone used DB for alterations?

• edited December 2011
    I did, for my wedding in November 2008.  My sister also had her bridesmaid dress altered there.  I believe the seamstress who did both of our dresses was named Marguerite.  She did an amazing job on both dresses.  I had a really complicated, beaded lace hem that had to be removed, the dress shortened, and the hem re-attached.  I also had to have the bodice of my dress let out at the seams.  I was worried because there were multiple layers of tulle, and the bodice was shirred.  When I went to my fitting after alterations, I literally could not tell the bodice had been altered.  It was amazing.  My sister's dress had to be hemmed and taken in at the waist.  It looked great, and fit like a glove.  I also had my train bustled, and it was easy for my BMs and mom to do and it held all night.

I was originally worried because I hadn't heard the greatest things about DB nationally when it came to alterations.  Since my hem was so complicated and the seamstress at DB guaranteed that they would be able to alter it without a problem, I decided to go ahead and get it done there.

I have pictures of the dresses in my planning bio and my married bio (accessible on the first page of my planning bio).
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I purchased my dress from DB and had a wonderful experience with that process.  However, I did not have my alterations done there.  They were much more expensive than other small shops in the area and I just felt like they got a bonus if they could get me in and out as quick as possible.  They didn't want to listen to what I said at all.  I had wanted a complicated bustle because I had a sash with beading detail all the way down into my train, and I was told that my suggested way wasn't the way they did it.  I ended up going through Elegant Alterations in Holland and had a great experience.  Way less expensive, and I had everything changed, including the bustle, exactly the way I wanted.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    David's ordered my MOH's dress too big for her when she got married, then charged her $200 to alter it.  It was literally 6" too big around on her.  So no, I would never go there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I was actually going to have Pam Thomas make my dress before I ended up falling in love with one I tried on elsewhere. She does amazing work and when I met with her to discuss my dress, she was just the nicest lady ever! I plan on asking her to do the alterations needed on my dress and maybe even making my veil. She made the veil for a girl I know and it was gorgeous!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards