Snarky Brides
Options

Can we talk about taxes?

Do you pay someone to do yours? Do it yourself? Use an online program?

I've always done ours myself just using the cheapo version of Turbo Tax. (I can get a discount, too, since I'm a state employee.)  But I'm worried this year with the house and my new retirement stuff.  Think I can still do it?

Re: Can we talk about taxes?

• Options
    We pay an accountant.

I dont see why you still cant do your own.  I know plenty of people who do.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I've always used Turbo Tax.  H has always gotten his done.  So we're just getting ours done.

Next year we'll for SURE get ours done.  With all the things I can deduct from work, and the new house and stuff, I'm not taking a chance of screwing it up. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In related news. I always hate doing my taxes. It's just a painful reminder of how little I make and how much the government takes. 
  • Options
    I think I might go through Turbo tax and see what it says and go from there? The business school here does them for free, but we're just BARELY above their income threshold.  (Must be some law about it?)  So that was a bummer.
  • Options
    I have an accountant in the family! He gives me a good deal and I totally trust him.
  • Options
    I've always done mine.  I usually upgrade to one of the super deluxe versions on one site, run my numbers to make sure I'm not missing any deductions and then file with the free version on another site (since you don't actually pay until you file.)
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do mine on Tax Act online.  Next year, we will definitely be getting them done since we will be filing jointly.  

knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Options
    I always have my mom do mine, but I think this year's might be complicated, so I don't know.

Tide, your kiddos are adorable in your new pic.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Options
    I've used TaxACT.  It's pretty easy to follow.  One year, I did my taxes through that and TurboTax up till the point where I had  to submit, and I got a bigger refund through TaxACT, so I just go with that one.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thank you, Smash!
  • Options
    cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    Random question, if anyone knows.

My retirement funds are now through a 401(a).  I had some gains on the stocks and stuff, but the online account is telling me I have no tax forms available, because I did not make any taxable withdrawals.

Sound right? I figured I still had to pay taxes, but maybe not since it's in a retirement fund still? (or something to do with the fact that it's sponsored by a non-profit employer?)
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    My H ran ours on TurboTax, H&R Block, and Tax Slayer to make sure he was doing everything right and getting consistent numbers then actually paid Tax Slayer to file. That was for federal anyway, DC is still in the stone ages and you have to actually file with a piece of paper.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-taxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1612bb3d-2177-4f3d-aa24-851030c8d069Post:6bc707a7-94d1-4c6c-b997-2a248411d300">Re: Can we talk about taxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My H ran ours on TurboTax, H&R Block, and Tax Slayer to make sure he was doing everything right and getting consistent numbers then actually paid Tax Slayer to file. That was for federal anyway, <strong>DC is still in the stone ages and you have to actually file with a piece of paper.</strong>
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

<div>I find this highly ironic. </div>
  • Options
    That sounds right to me Steph (the part about not taking any money out) although I'm not an expert by any means.
  • Options
    I do mine myself.  I have the last 2 years.  I went to H and R block a few years ago and I then I realized I could do them myself and get the same result. 
    Question, Do you have to file jointly the year you get married or can you still file separate?
    Also, Congrats Steph, that is so exciting!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-taxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1612bb3d-2177-4f3d-aa24-851030c8d069Post:e7f121d7-8090-4a1c-a26a-21928c65e96f">Re: Can we talk about taxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Random question, if anyone knows. My retirement funds are now through a 401(a).  I had some gains on the stocks and stuff, but the online account is telling me I have no tax forms available, because I did not make any taxable withdrawals. Sound right? I figured I still had to pay taxes, but maybe not since it's in a retirement fund still? (or something to do with the fact that it's sponsored by a non-profit employer?)
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

I don't think you pay taxes on retirement income until you actually withdraw the money.  I took out a loan last year, and that's only taxable if I don't pay it back.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-taxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1612bb3d-2177-4f3d-aa24-851030c8d069Post:0bc33af8-7bc0-4efd-b7ca-63e471171ca7">Re: Can we talk about taxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about taxes? : I find this highly ironic. 

I know. Thankfully since we moved we will never have to pay another dime to that piece of shiit city ever again. I will never move back to the district.
  • Options
    Stef- i dont know anything about 401K's.  We dont have those.  But they should send you a form if you need to file right?
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Also, check with your state comptroller's office to see if you can file your state taxes online directly with them.  In MD you can, so I file my fed taxes through an online tax service, and then file my MD taxes on their website rather than pay money for the tax service to do my state taxes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-taxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1612bb3d-2177-4f3d-aa24-851030c8d069Post:3f08e1a3-60a5-4ccc-82e2-a9eb4760b16f">Re: Can we talk about taxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's TaxACT?

<div>It's another on-line tax filing system.  My taxes are pretty simple, but it seems like it does a good job of asking questions to make sure you get all the deductions you can.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Steph, is it a 401, or a 403(b)?

I've never had to pay taxes on my 403(b)

• Options
    haha anna. Tell me how you really feel? ;)

My taxes used to be a pain when I 'lived' in WI, but worked in both MN and WI. (When I was a college student at MN.) So if I can do that, hopefully I can figure this out. eek. I never thought to plug it into different websites. duh. 

Jamie- we did it Married Filing Jointly last year (we were only married for a month and a half in 2010.)  We plugged it in both ways and it was a little bit higher refund that way. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-taxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1612bb3d-2177-4f3d-aa24-851030c8d069Post:76a354e7-f60c-4201-af72-44cb005d880d">Re: Can we talk about taxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha anna. Tell me how you really feel? ;) <strong>My taxes used to be a pain when I 'lived' in WI, but worked in both MN and WI. (When I was a college student at MN.)</strong> So if I can do that, hopefully I can figure this out. eek. I never thought to plug it into different websites. duh.  Jamie- we did it Married Filing Jointly last year (we were only married for a month and a half in 2010.)  We plugged it in both ways and it was a little bit higher refund that way. 

MY GOD YES.

Even with WI taxes coming out of my MN checks (thank god for that option).  Still a PITA.

• Options
    Blue/J- it's a 401(a) actually.  My old retirement stuff is chilling out in another 403(b) kind of account (but not really.)  It's in the Minnesota State Retirement System (the big pot that all cops, firefighters, teachers and state employees use.)  Earning like 0.5% interest.  BUT the damn MSRS won't send me the fucking form I need to transfer it to my new one (which earned like 8% in the last 6 months.) That's another gripe though. 

• Options
    I'm having a bitch of a time getting my forms to roll my 403(b) over too.  It was reallypissing me off until I just stopped caring. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-taxes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1612bb3d-2177-4f3d-aa24-851030c8d069Post:76a354e7-f60c-4201-af72-44cb005d880d">Re: Can we talk about taxes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha anna. Tell me how you really feel? ;) My taxes used to be a pain when I 'lived' in WI, but worked in both MN and WI. (When I was a college student at MN.) So if I can do that, hopefully I can figure this out. eek. I never thought to plug it into different websites. duh.  Jamie- we did it Married Filing Jointly last year (we were only married for a month and a half in 2010.)  We plugged it in both ways and it was a little bit higher refund that way. 
    Oh ok thanks, I am going to try both ways.  Also do you file under your married name of maiden if you made money under both?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess that is one thing they do well here, it's really easy to live in one state and work in the other. That hasn't been a big deal at all. I'm sure DC would make it difficult if they could though.

Jaime, you can file Married Filing Separately but not single for the year you get married. Otherwise we would have filed single, that would have gotten us another $2500 deduction for student loan interest. I really hate taxes.
  • Options
    Jaime, I didn't do our taxes, but I'd try married first. You give your SSN anyway so I doubt the name matters that much, I'm sure the primary identifier is your SSN.
  • Options
    I KNOW Anna.  We lost a shitton of refund for H's student loan interest. bah. And this year it's the opposite.  H made more than me (on paper. Our insurance and my parking and a bunch of stuff is all taken out pre-tax on my checks.)  So I plugged my info in first and saw an almost $4k refund. Until I plugged in his info. :(

Jamie- I did my married name. I think you're supposed to do whatever was accurate on 12/31? It should guide you to the right info though.  oh, and thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards