North Carolina-Outer Banks

Lighthouse?

Anybody had their wedding near a lighthouse or on top of a lighthouse? Just visited Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and was wondering. Would the drive back north to duck or manteo be too long? Thanks

Re: Lighthouse?

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I know the Curritcuk Lighhouse in Duck is very popular b/c it's closer to town.

The drive back to Nags Head takes about 45 mins to an hour....so yea, probably a bit too far if the reception is in town.

Have you considered the Currituck Liighthouse yet?  There is also Bodie Island....

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Ohhh and Hi and welcome to the boards!

When are you getting married?  Tell us a little about yourself...we like to be nosey i these parts, lol.  Ok, well maybe just me ;)

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board & congrats! As OBX said, we'd love to hear about your plans and help anyway we can.

I've visited the Currituck Lighthouse, which has beautiful grounds. The Whalehead Club is adjacent to the this lighthouse and is a very popular wedding venue. I'm not sure if they allow weddings actually ON the lighthouse grounds or IN the lighthouse, but it's worth asking. Here's their website: http://www.currituckbeachlight.com/

I don't think the distance from Duck or Manteo is too far if you decide to do it at Cape Hatteras, maybe 30 mins or so.

Happy Planning & I hope this helps!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It is quite a hike up hwy 12 if you are having your reception in Duck or Manteo.  I do the drive a few times a year and it averages around an hour to Nags Head.  Manteo isn't to much further but Duck would be a stretch.  I'm with OBX, what about the other lighthouses in the area?  Or you could have your reception somewhere down south if you have your heart set on Cape Hatteras, which I love BTW.
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems after a bit of research that you can get married on the grounds of the Lighthouses but not on top of them, which makes no sense to me. I don't really like the idea of other people wandering about during the ceremony so I think we may need to find another venue.

Since people asked: I got engaged in november and just recently moved in with my fiance. We are planning a very small (about 20 people) May 2012 wedding. We have gone back and forth about where the location should be. We live in Maryland and just came back from the OBX for vacation (his first time there!).
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_lighthouse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:16687639-c96f-41d1-82f2-ad68d2f8bf3bPost:a4faaf89-6de6-4120-a1f8-e07635afe17f">Re: Lighthouse?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems after a bit of research that you can get married on the grounds of the Lighthouses but not on top of them, which makes no sense to me. I don't really like the idea of other people wandering about during the ceremony so I think we may need to find another venue. Since people asked: I got engaged in november and just recently moved in with my fiance. We are planning a very small (about 20 people) May 2012 wedding. We have gone back and forth about where the location should be. We live in Maryland and just came back from the OBX for vacation (his first time there!).
    Posted by maria356[/QUOTE]

Glad that you fell in love with the obx....it's hard not too :)

I think it's a safety issue for not being able to get married on top of the lighthouse....that and not enough space for guests to watch. I wouldn't worry too much about guests wondering around during the ceremony....after all, they did come to watch you and your sweetie tie the knot so I doubt they would be wandering around. I actually logged on today just for you....I was going through some different photographers sites for inspiration on decorating my venue and I came across a wedding that was held at the Currituck Lighthouse and wanted to let you know so that you could get some inspiration yourself. I know you had originally wanted Cape Hatteras, but still thought you could get "the feel" of a lighthouse style ceremony. 

Go to <a href="http://www.marybasnight.com">www.marybasnight.com</a> and look under portfolio, then weddings, then Currituck Lighthouse.

If your heart is truly set on getting married at a lighthouse.....then DOOOO it!  Like I said, your guests will know their place and besides, they are going to be too excited to see how beautfiul you look to worry about anything else :)

Let us know what you decide :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards