Getting in Shape

to run or not run

so I was thinking of running my second half marathon this year.  I ran my first one in October of last year.  The only one that interests me this year falls on the same day that one of my friends is getting married.  Do I train and run my race and go to the wedding after (the race is at 8:30 AM) or just run for fun all summer like I am training for it and hopefully something will come up that will interest me.  I have no motivation to do any other race besides this one.  Do you think I can I do it on the same day?
Follow Me on Pinterest
July 2007 Photobucket
october 2012 Photobucket

Re: to run or not run

• edited April 2012
    What time is the wedding and do you have a place to shower and get ready? 
    Are you IN the wedding or just a guest? 

I think it is worth it if you're a guest and have enough time between the two. The issue with training AS IF you're going to do it.. is that it's easier to lose motivation because in the back of your mind you KNOW you aren't going to. 

• If you're only a guest you can totally manage it, assuming that the wedding isn't an early afternoon deal. A few summers ago I was training for a marathon, and ended up having to fit a 22-mile training run in the morning of a cousin's late-afternoon wedding. It was fine.
  • Run it! Just think the cake will be negative calories! One of the photographers wanted to take my photos next year before the wedding. I was against this for a couple of reasons one is I'm a traditionalist, the second is I'm a runner through and through. Running eases my nerves etc. I intend to run a good 6-10 miles the morning of my wedding just to kill my jitters and make room for 2 pieces of cake!

B
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_to-run-or-not-run?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:d5fe1b85-ef4c-4be0-96aa-118b58882447Post:f0164795-856f-4f09-8d2c-ab16054b8152">Re: to run or not run</a>:
    [QUOTE]Run it! Just think the cake will be negative calories! One of the photographers wanted to take my photos next year before the wedding. I was against this for a couple of reasons one is I'm a traditionalist, the second is I'm a runner through and through. Running eases my nerves etc. I intend to run a good 6-10 miles the morning of my wedding just to kill my jitters and make room for 2 pieces of cake! B
    Posted by dewingedpixie[/QUOTE]

I actually organized a group run for me and my running-inclined guests the morning of my wedding! (We called it the "Runaway Bride 5K and 10K".) We measured and mapped courses, had a post-run bagel and doughnut breakfast, and even had tech-fabric t-shirts made for the participants. It's one of my favorite wedding day memories, and it definitely helped calm my nerves.
  • CH11CH11 member
    First Comment
    I definitely agree with other posters. If you are a guest- Run girl!!! And good for you for pushing yourself! 

That's so excellent you have the motivation. Keep it up!
    Carlene R.D. Registered Dietitian*Wedding Wellness Nutrition* http://carlenesfigments.wordpress.com/wedding-wellness/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards