Just Engaged and Proposals

Throwing our own housewarming/engagement party

Hey everyone!

My fiancé and I just got engaged on 12/16/11. Shortly after, we moved into a beautiful home that we are renting for the time being, but are planning on buying in a couple of years. My fiancé proposed the idea of throwing a housewarming/engagement party to celebrate.

I know that, traditionally, the parents/sibling are supposed to throw the engagement party. We’re not terribly fancy people, and we just want to have a bunch of our closest friends/family together and have a nice, drama-free night. We’re not expecting gifts either. We’re just going to have a cookout, some drinks and play some good music on the iPod.

I’m not very close w/my sister; we hardly ever speak and rarely see each other, despite living in the same town. My mom told me that my sister made a comment recently indicating that she was upset that we are throwing the engagement party, and that she should’ve been asked to do so. She doesn’t like my fiancé, so why would I ask her to host this? I’ve invited my sister and her husband, and my parents (who seem a little hesitant to come, but said they might stop by.....I think they're kind of in shock that we're engaged lol), but she hasn’t responded. I’ve tried contacting her, but nothing.

I would really love to have my family there to see the new house and help celebrate our engagement, but it really doesn’t seem like they’re on board. The party will happen with or without them there.

Any thoughts?
Is it wrong to throw this kind of party ourselves? And how do I deal with family members who don't want to be involved/attend?
Also, we are paying for our wedding ourselves.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Throwing our own housewarming/engagement party

• I think you have good intentions of getting everyone together, maybe if you don't refer to it as a housewarming or engagement party it wouldn't seem like you're asking for gifts and it would be okay.  It can be just a get-together.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • edited January 2012
    My advice is to do everything pertaining to your wedding the way you want to do it. When you start factoring every one's ideas you move out of the direction of your party. If your sister wants to help with the supplies for the party. Let her help that way. but do it how you want it.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why is it so bad to host your own engagement party? Even if its with close friends and family just to have a good time and something to celebrate?? No one has offered to throw my fiance and I an engagement party but we were thinking of doing something very similar to this except a graduation/engagement party with everyone that already knows we are engaged. If this is such a bad thing you guys should explain why. instead of just saying NO and Don't do it.

I agree with  goodine11 about doing it however you want. It is your engagement and your wedding and if no one has offered to throw you an engagement party why should you miss out on the celebration with friends and family, this something new and exciting to you and should share it however you want with whoever you want..
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_throwing-own-housewarmingengagement-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:55c701ac-111d-48ac-8ade-db4ae5bed86bPost:6d308d7d-8a81-4d47-9f94-bf3bc3fc028d">Re: Throwing our own housewarming/engagement party</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is it so bad to host your own engagement party? Even if its with close friends and family just to have a good time and something to celebrate?? No one has offered to throw my fiance and I an engagement party but we were thinking of doing something very similar to this except a graduation/engagement party with everyone that already knows we are engaged. If this is such a bad thing you guys should explain why. instead of just saying NO and Don't do it. I agree with  goodine11 about doing it however you want. It is your engagement and your wedding and if no one has offered to throw you an engagement party why should you miss out on the celebration with friends and family, this something new and exciting to you and should share it however you want with whoever you want..
    Posted by drevlow[/QUOTE]

this...I agree ! Sometimes you have to go out and do things yourself because you know what you want and on top of that some people may be just to busy to take time to plan something all on there own but is willing to help..I say go for what u want !
    imageimage May2013 October Siggy:Honeymoon:Putna Cana http://1badwedding.weebly.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards