Montana

Reception Venue in Billings

Hey all! We will be getting married in October at St. Patrick's.  We are currently looking for a place to hold our reception.  We are expecting to invite around 100 guests (so the final count may be anywhere from 60-100).  We are looking for some place indoors that will hold that many people.  Some options I've found looking online (we live in the DC area) are the Moss Mansion, Yellowstone Art Museum, Petroleum Club, Billings Hotel, and the Elks.  Has anybody looked at these venues, know about pricing, size, etc?  Any other good suggestions? We are working within a budget so any budget friendly options are greatly welcomed :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PAIF/SAIF welcome
TTC #1 since 10/2010, Cycle #26
Diagnosis: Unexplained IF
IUI #1 (Cycle #24): Clomid, Gonal-F, trigger, 4M post-wash = BFN 11/9/12
IUI #2 (Cycle #25): same protocol, 10M post-wash = BFN 12/12/12
Break Cycle #26 = CD69 BFP
Beta #1 2/20/13 = 449, Beta #2 2/22/13 = 1012, Beta #3 2/25/13 = 2479
u/s 3/1/13 = gest sac and yolk sac
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Reception Venue in Billings

• edited December 2011
    Hi,
    I'm actually getting married in Red Lodge so haven't looked into those places specifiically for receptions - but I'm familiar with the Petroleum Club. It's got a rather interesting view of the entire city... but only pretty at night - otherwise you're looking out onto railroad tracks and warehouses. It is a little stuffy and old fashioned - like someplace you'd take your straight-laced grandfather.  It's got the room - they've got several different areas of the resturant. I attended a New Years party there once with about 100 people - there was plenty of room.

I'd lean more towards the Art Museum for the funky ambience , but find someone whose actually looked into these places as reception halls - not just as a casual vistor like me.  Anyway - my two cents. :)
  • edited December 2011

Congrats! Yes, I've seen almost every one of those places when I toured around looking for my reception place! Moss Mansion is mostly used for outdoor ceremonies, they can hold indoor receptions but I believe their max number of people is 60 and as old and cool looking as it is inside, nothing about it said wedding reception to me. They might be able to hold more then 60 you'll have to contact them, but I remember it wasn't enough for me.

The Petroleum Club wasn't anything special. I was disasppointed in how hotel-ish their setup was rather then a welcoming party/reception room. I just wasn't crazy with the layout of the small room they had to offer. Their food options were also very expensive.

The Yellowstone Art Museum is the one I haven't seen but have heard good things about it so you may want to check it out. Their prices for renting the floors were reasonable too I remember.

The Elks was gorgeous, I was very impressed with the Elks, they have a beautiful chandellier hanging from the ceiling and when we toured it, it was decorated amazingly. I'm not sure if you have to pay extra to do that or not. The one thing I didn't like about that room is that its pretty much ALL dance floor, they even had some of the tables on the dance floor area because 80% of the room is hardwood for the dance floor since the Elks is mostly used for ballroom dancing. The lady you would work with there is extremely nice. Their prices were pretty decent compared to other areas that size. They do have some rules such as you have to use them to cater etc, but nothing that seemed unreasonable.

The Holiday Inn, Billings Hotel & Convention Center and The Depot are all fantasic reception choices. The Depot you can rent one room (the larger or smaller) rather then the whole place. BUT you do have to pay for everything else seperately, food, rentals, etc. We ultimately went with the Holiday Inn due to the size of the room as it was much larger and the hotels do everything for you so you dont have to rent each piece seperate (like the dishes, silverware, table cloths, etc)

I've also heard good things about The Knights of Columbus, but haven't seen it myself.

The hotel reception rooms start at $1000, the larger room at The Holiday Inn is $1500 but due to the number of people you are having I would doubt you need that. If I remember right, the Depot was $750 and $600 for each of the rooms and you can rent them seperately. The larger room is so much nicer for the extra money and way bigger. I don't remember the prices on the others. GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you have any other questions I've been doing lots of research for my wedding :)

• jb111886jb111886 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I got married in August we had the ceremony and reception at the Billings Depot, and I loved it! Also it wasn't too high in price as I recall. And it isn't too far from St. Pat's. We had about 70 people at our wedding, but a friend of my mom's got married there a month before me and they squeezed close to 200 people in the big room. http://www.billingsdepot.org/
  • lynnyloolynnyloo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much gals!  I looked at the Depot's online calendar awhile ago and it appears to already be booked for our date.  Sounds like the Moss Mansion is too small for our reception.  The Elks sounds promising, maybe the Knights of Columbus Hall too.  I will have to contact them for pricing and such.  I also will contact the Art Museum.  Any good ideas for catering?  We are thinking steak of some sort since most of our guest outside of my family will be from out of state. 

Any good photographers under $1000 (pref under $750)?  Who are you all using for flowers, Gainan's?  I went to school at Rocky Mountain College, but it's been about 8 years since I've lived out there so am very happy for all the suggestions.

Congrats all and good luck with the wedding planning :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    TTC #1 since 10/2010, Cycle #26
    Diagnosis: Unexplained IF
    IUI #1 (Cycle #24): Clomid, Gonal-F, trigger, 4M post-wash = BFN 11/9/12
    IUI #2 (Cycle #25): same protocol, 10M post-wash = BFN 12/12/12
    Break Cycle #26 = CD69 BFP
    Beta #1 2/20/13 = 449, Beta #2 2/22/13 = 1012, Beta #3 2/25/13 = 2479
    u/s 3/1/13 = gest sac and yolk sac
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jb111886jb111886 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our flowers through Evergreen IGA, much cheaper than Gainan's, and they were absolutely stunning!

• edited December 2011
    The photographer I'm using is Scott  with Creative Imagery: http://creativeimagerybyscott.com/
    He only charges $95 to reserve him for the wedding day (no time limit) and then the cost of pictures. I've seen his work and met him in person and he is very nice. You also do not have to pay for the pictures you want until after the wedding to see how many and which you like which is an added bonus. I definately recommend him especially when on a budget! I couldn't find even a close/comparable package with anyone else. Most other photogs start at $1000 and have a time limit or a location limit, like it all has to be at one location, crazy.

Don't use Gainan's they are SO expensive. IGA florists does an amazing job for half the price. I got my quote there in January, $275 for 4 BM's, 4 GM's, my bouquet, the groom, and 8 extra bouteniers. They have done all 4 of the last weddings I've been to and are so nice to work with. They include the tossing bouquet at no extra charge, and then I bought 2 more flower arrangments to put on top of columns. They can create centerpieces for you at great prices too.

For catering, check out Montana Jacks, they have amazing packages, their staff is so friendly. If the hotel didn't have to cater ours I would have definately gone with them, their packages even include cakes, and those get super pricey. They will also work with your budget to see what they can do in your price range.

The Elks caters their own food though so make sure and ask the venue when you call if you can have an outside caterer. I think with Knights of Columbus you can but I'm not sure. Any of the hotels wont let you use an outside caterer.

Call as soon as you can because all of the places book up so fast!
  • edited December 2011

If you are from out of town I'd go with holiday inn or billings hotel that way you and your guests don't have to travel around town! that was our main reasoning!

I am using jenn with Lasting Memories photography

and for flowers we are using Plantasia in laurel!! Jane is amazing and with my bouquet 9 bouts 4 bms flower girl 30 carnations for my tables im looking at about 300 :-) i love her!

• ironcoupleironcouple member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our ceremony and reception at the Billings Hotel.  I believe individual rooms are $250, but we are using a package for $1000.  It includes up to 3 rooms that day, a room the next for brunch with fam if you want, a room the night before for rehearsal, a room whenever for bridal shower, and a honeymoon suite.  They also require you use their food but they have lots of packages.
  • edited December 2011
    I sent you a message back with my email address if you have any other questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards