July 2012 Weddings

Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..

What will you be serving during this time?? (food and drinks)

Thank goodness we're only 70 people because everything is so expensive as it is! Multiplying it by more people would make my head swim!

We're trying to keep alcohol to the basics so that we wont have to buy tons of each liquor. The norm here is whiskey and vodka. If you serve only one you have to AT LEAST serve whiskey or it's not a wedding. Gag. FI will only drink whiskey in a "Godfather" (Whiskey and amaretto? Someone correct me if the name is different in English) But FI doesn't really like the idea of buying whiskey, amaretto PLUS another liquor. And to top it off, my dad is a big beer only drinker. Since he's helping pay, we think it would be nice to offer beer in his name lol. However, I've been told serving beer at a wedding here is considered ghetto and cheap. Booo. We thought we could serve "micheladas" which is a mixed beer drink that FI, myself and several of our friends are obssessed with lately... and then it won't look like just a cheap bottle of beer.  So far it looks like we will be ordering whiskey, amaretto and beer for the micheladas. I really wish we could have more options, but I really don't know how to do it without breaking our budget :(

Hors d'oeuvres and desserts are a headache too. Most weddings here at least have a dessert table with different little treats if they don't serve hors d'oeuvres as well. But I don't know what to serve during the cocktail hour?? I'm thinking it'll either be cocktail hour food/ dessert OR the mandatory dessert table. Does there have to be something to eat during cocktail hour? Lunch will be directly after.. and lunch is like dinner here so it won't be a skimpy meal either. Ugh it's all so frustrating when every little decision considerably affects your budget.

Anyway tell me your cocktail hour food and drink plans so I can get some ideas ;-)

Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..

• We haven't picked out our cocktail hour food yet but I do know that it'll be a selection of probably 3-4 different hors d'oeuvres. We're also having an open bar and since our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception are all in the same spot, the bar opens after the ceremony for cocktail hour and then keeps going through the night.
    Photobucket
  • Wow - I can't imagine having to purchase all of our own liquor to serve...I would have no idea what to buy, or how much of it to buy!!

We will be having our full open bar during the cocktail hour.  I can't remember exactly what will be included...pretty much any type of liquor you can think of, plus 4 wines (2 white and 2 red) and bottled beers.  We will also serve our two signature drinks - hehe which are now named "The Raj Mahal" - a grape martini that is such a pretty purple color (after my fiance's name) and "The Lawyer In Love" a champagne and strawberry cocktail (for me). 

We are not having too much food during the cocktail hour since it is only an hour and we will be serving a massive meal directly after...I think we are just going with 5 different butler-passed hor-deurves.  We still have to choose which ones to offer.  You don't want people to get TOO full, but want to give them a little bit of food in their belly to ease their hunger and to keep them from getting too drunk too fast.  We are doing 2 or 3 hot apps, and 2 or 3 cold apps (not sure yet). 

The last wedding I went to had a little appetizer buffet line, and it was really awkward to walk through the line, carry your drinks, scoot your napkin and mini-plate along the line, and then have to carry everything awkwardly as you stand around and eat. I am hoping the butler passing solves this problem.

When we had our tasting, we tasted a warm brie on toast with peach salsa appetizer, and gosh, it was good, but I seriously spilled the salsa all over myself as I was trying to eat it...so as you are thinking about appetizers, I would recommend thinking about what will be easiest and cleanest for guests who are on the move to eat. 

Sorry, this was really wordy and probably unhelpful :)
  • edited March 2012
    As far as the beer thing goes, even though it's considered 'ghetto' there, I would still serve it. The wedding should be about joining your two families and honoring both 'traditions'. You know your family and friends from the states won't think it's ghetto, and your FI's friends and family will hopefully understand that's something your dad likes and not think it's ghetto either. 

We're having a full open bar during cocktail hour (just because at our venue it's either full open bar, pay by consumption bar, or cash bar. We didn't have many options). But I'm going to request that the servers have trays of wine ready to serve since we're at a winery. Our passed h'orderves are: Seared goat cheese gnocchi with crispy pancetta; ahi tuna tartare with a fennel-cucumber relish, jalapeno and cilantro; and an 'open face B.L.T' with Bacon, tomato, avocado, watercress aioli on focaccia. 

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012

We just sat down with my mom over the weekend to make these decisions. I am really, really happy with them.

We, too, need to supply all of our own liquor, but it should save us quite a bit of money. The mixers and accoutrements will be provided by our caterer, so at least we don't have to worry about the fixins.

Here's what we have JUST FOR COCKTAIL HOUR (omg so much food). Our cocktail hour is actually 1.5 hours, though, so we wanted it to be more substantial:

- Full open bar

- Prosecco tower with our signature cocktail, which is a bellini martini (called "Lawyers in Love" since we're both lawyers - I am SO happy you chose to do that too, butterfly!)

- 8 butler passed hors d'oeuvres:
    Ginger tuna on rice cracker w/ wasabi mayo and black sesame
    Crab salad w/fresh dill on pumpernickel toast points
    Fresh watermelon, mozzarella cubes, purple basil, olive oil & sea salt
    Thai duck roll w/chili dipping sauce
    Cherry tomato, prosciutto & arugula
    Veal Meatballs w/ port wine sauce
    Shrimp wrapped in bacon w/ thyme butter
    Herb parmesan phyllo rolls w/ lemon aioli drizzle

- Cheese & Crudite station:
    Carmelized brie with honey, peach and pecans topping
    Goat cheese pesto torta w/ oven dried tomatoes
    Grafton Village Classic Cheddar w/ Red Grapes
    Melon
    Strawberries
    Water Crackers
    Crusty Baguettes
    Summer crudites
    Dill Dip
    Rocky Roquefort Dip
    Taco Dip

- Seafood Buffet presented on flowered ice bowl
    Steamed Jumbo Shrimp
    Cocktail Crab Claws
    Served with seaweed and crawfish, lemon wedges, cocktail sauce
    Freshly Shucked Oysters, horseradish, tabasco, oyster crackers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_adding-to-the-cocktail-hour-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:6ab0b18f-29f6-4a90-abf3-ee510e834d32Post:75b24191-5cff-4b30-9547-8e723d25d2cb">Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..</a>:
    [QUOTE]We just sat down with my mom over the weekend to make these decisions. I am really, really happy with them. We, too, need to supply all of our own liquor, but it should save us quite a bit of money. The mixers and accoutrements will be provided by our caterer, so at least we don't have to worry about the fixins. Here's what we have JUST FOR COCKTAIL HOUR (omg so much food). Our cocktail hour is actually 1.5 hours, though, so we wanted it to be more substantial: - Full open bar - Prosecco tower with our signature cocktail, which is a bellini martini (<strong>called "Lawyers in Love" since we're both lawyers - I am SO happy you chose to do that too, butterfly!) </strong>- 8 butler passed hors d'oeuvres: Ginger tuna on rice cracker w/ wasabi mayo and black sesame Crab salad w/fresh dill on pumpernickel toast points Fresh watermelon, mozzarella cubes, purple basil, olive oil & sea salt Thai duck roll w/chili dipping sauce Cherry tomato, prosciutto & arugula Veal Meatballs w/ port wine sauce Shrimp wrapped in bacon w/ thyme butter Herb parmesan phyllo rolls w/ lemon aioli drizzle - Cheese & Crudite station: Carmelized brie with honey, peach and pecans topping Goat cheese pesto torta w/ oven dried tomatoes Grafton Village Classic Cheddar w/ Red Grapes Melon Strawberries Water Crackers Crusty Baguettes Summer crudites Dill Dip Rocky Roquefort Dip Taco Dip - Seafood Buffet presented on flowered ice bowl Steamed Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail Crab Claws Served with seaweed and crawfish, lemon wedges, cocktail sauce Freshly Shucked Oysters, horseradish, tabasco, oyster crackers
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

no, thank YOU for letting me steal your signature drink name, hahah! I just had to make mine singular since I am the only one that is a lawyer ;) your food sounds SO GOOD AND SO INTENSE!!
  • We are hosting beer and wine.

For food we are serving 4 hors d'oevres.

They are

bacon wrapped scallops
    spanikopita
    chicken guacamole tortilla
    boursin cheese tart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_adding-to-the-cocktail-hour-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:6ab0b18f-29f6-4a90-abf3-ee510e834d32Post:fe6c9ff2-5228-4ecc-82cf-fb9088efe5e5">Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion.. : no, thank YOU for letting me steal your signature drink name, hahah! I just had to make mine singular since I am the only one that is a lawyer ;) <strong>your food sounds SO GOOD AND SO INTENSE!!
    </strong>Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]

It's like the ONLY thing that fiance was interested in . . .  so we kind of went off. hahahaha AND THEN A MASSIVE DINNER. AND THEN CAKE AND DESSERTS. AND THEN CHEESESTEAKS.

People are going to be throwing up. Or in a food coma.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha no worries butterfly! I'm always wordy and never clear lol. But that was helpful... helps me get ideas straight.

The beer things makes sense Meagan. Good point. FI isn't completely opposed to serving beer and that's considering he knows what is said about wedding beer.. must be for the same reasons you mentioned.

• Our venue has everything there we don't have to rent anything or bring anything in ourselves.  We are doing a top shelf open bar for the entire night 7pm-12pm.  We go on May 20th for our tasting to pick everything out.  Our cocktail hour is going to be insane then we are offering 4 entrees.  We will also being having the vienesse (sp?) hour for dessert on top of the cake. 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Man I'm slow today!

Bride... I have no words for your entire menu. Maybe except that I'm entirely jealous I won't be eating it. Btw do you have a liquor per guest guide so you know roughly how much to buy?
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_adding-to-the-cocktail-hour-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:6ab0b18f-29f6-4a90-abf3-ee510e834d32Post:da78d541-c236-4a1f-8f36-6a5182577b53">Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..</a>:
    [QUOTE] Our cocktail hour is going to be insane then we are offering 4 entrees.  Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

I'm confused about your cocktail hour.. why is it insane? Are you offering entrees during the cocktail hour??
  • edited March 2012
    Nati, I actually do have a liquor per guest guide! If you PM me your email address, I will send via email to you. 

In looking it over, I think it's a bit more than what we will actually do, but it gives a good guideline as far as bottles.

Edited to add: It is liquor for the entire night, not just for the cocktail hour. So, for us, that would be the recommended amounts for 6 hours of open bar. Not sure how helpful that will be for you, but happy to send to you!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    Woohoo! YGPM!

You killed me with those cheesesteaks btw. I'm still thinking about them hahaha and how much I really want one right now!

ETA: That's fine, that's what I'm looking for anyway.. a guide for the whole thing. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_adding-to-the-cocktail-hour-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:6ab0b18f-29f6-4a90-abf3-ee510e834d32Post:6a5baf3d-dff9-4ecc-ac1f-614166998cb8">Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion.. : I'm confused about your cocktail hour.. why is it insane? Are you offering entrees during the cocktail hour??
    Posted by Nati05[/QUOTE]

Nope our venue just does it really big.  It sounds like our venue is entirely different.  In NJ the weddings are huge and cocktail hour is usually better then the actual sit down dinner. 

Here is a sample menu from our reception hall. 

Cold Cocktail Hour Food
    …All Included…
    Sliced Seasonal Fresh Fruits, Grapes and Berries
    Imported and Domestic Gourmet Cheeses
    Fine Italian Sliced Specialty Meats
    Black and Green Olives, Roasted Peppers
    With Assorted Crackers, and Flat Breads

Assorted Gourmet Cold Appetizers
    Seafood Salad, Deviled Eggs, Bean & Vegetable Salad, Grilled Vegetables,
    Fresh Mozzarella and Tomatoes, Artichoke Salad, Mediterranean Olive Salad
    Tri Color Pasta Salad and Eggplant Capanatta

Hot Cocktail Hour Food
    …All Included…
    Focaccia Style Pizza Station
    <strong>Carving Station (3 items)</strong>
    Seared Peppered Loin of Pork
    Smoked Turkey Breast
    Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb
    <strong>Sauté Station</strong>
    Seared Scallops with Garlic Infused Virgin Olive Oil
    Shrimp Scampi in a White Wine Garlic Sauce
    <strong>Pasta Station</strong>
    Penne in a Vodka Sauce and Tri Color Tortellini Alfredo
    <strong>To Be Presented in Silver Chafing Dishes (8 items)</strong>
    Sauté' Mushrooms, Chicken Marsala, Eggplant Rollitini
    Stuffed Shells, Breaded Shrimp, Mussels Marinara
    Seafood Paella & Broccoli Rabe with Italian Sausage 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • If you are supplying your own liquor, make sure to buy MORE than those conventional guides tell you. At my brother's rehearsal dinner this past Saturday night we went through 27 bottles of wine with just 25 guests! Insane for a 3 hour reharsal dinner. AND there was hard alcohol served, even though most people were drinking wine.  I guess my family and my brother's wife's family are drinkers! Thank goodness we were at a restaurant where they had the supply, because I don't think my parents ever would have thought to buy that much.

Our cocktail hour is included in our wedding package at the resort and includes 4 passed hor'dourves, and open premium bar. We might add an additional fruit or veggie display but the prices are insane to add it (like $8 pp just for fruit!) We are switching to offering just beer and wine at the reception since it saves money and I don't want my friends to get too out of control with taking shots.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • we aren't having any food at cocktail hour...people will be getting TONS of food during the reception!  I think their bellies can handle it..ha!
  • We are having an open bar during the cocktail hour, which includes mid-level liquour, mixers, beer, a red, a white, and a bubbily. We are supplying the wines/bubbles ourselves, but haven't worked out the math on how much to order yet, so can't help you there!

We're doing six passed hors d'oeuvres. We haven't selected the exact six yet, but here is a sampling from our caterer (we are finalizing our selections in April, but we'll prob only switch out one or two of these, they sound pretty good!):
    -Montrachet Cheese with Pesto and sundried tomatoes on garlic toast
    -Charred Tuna Bites
    -Potato Zucchini Fritters with Sour Cream and Caviar
    -Spicy Barbecued Flank Steak with Caramelized Onion
    -Miniature Leek and Onion Tart
    -Scallop Puffs
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_adding-to-the-cocktail-hour-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:6ab0b18f-29f6-4a90-abf3-ee510e834d32Post:2b9b7696-abe1-465c-9dc9-7ff3aad71f87">Re: Adding to the cocktail hour discussion..</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are supplying your own liquor, make sure to buy MORE than those conventional guides tell you. At my brother's rehearsal dinner this past Saturday night we went through 27 bottles of wine with just 25 guests! Insane for a 3 hour reharsal dinner. AND there was hard alcohol served, even though most people were drinking wine.  I guess my family and my brother's wife's family are drinkers! Thank goodness we were at a restaurant where they had the supply, because I don't think my parents ever would have thought to buy that much. Our cocktail hour is included in our wedding package at the resort and includes 4 passed hor'dourves, and open premium bar. We might add an additional fruit or veggie display but the prices are insane to add it (like $8 pp just for fruit!) We are switching to offering just beer and wine at the reception since it saves money and I don't want my friends to get too out of control with taking shots.
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>So each person had over a bottle of wine each?!?!?!?! OMG that's crazy. How did you all show up the next day?

</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha woww that's definitely crazy Lvissers! One vendor told us we could buy in consignment since we're such a small group and it's hard to guess what people will consume. But we're thinking about buying with distributors directly since it's cheaper than with a vendor... I'm not sure direct distributors do that though. I sure hope so! That really is what will work best for us!
  • People definitely drink more when it is open bar.The wait staff for the rehearal dinner were great, but they were making sure everyone's glasses were topped off at all time. I tried like 3 different times to switch from white wine to red wine for the filet we had with dinner. My parents also had a "cocktail hour" before dinner was served so people could mingle. It was a great idea I thought to include and gave a chance for both families to meet everyone before we sat down for dinner. I would recommend that, however the bar tab will def. skyrocket, lol.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are having 8 buttered hors devoures and full open bar and cheese station for the cocktail hour. FI and I just picked them out a few days ago and everything sounds soooo good!!! And it's even better that we will now be able to GO to our cocktail hour !
  • My venue is completly awesome and includes a ton. I'm actually worried that people won't want to eat dinner! Also, its actually an hour and a half.

We will have a full open bar. This was included in our package and was actually cheeper than the other options.

The for food we have:
    Cheese dislplay
    Crudite (fuits and vegies)
    Cold Cut dislplay
    Fancy breads
    Cheese fonudu
    3 hot chafing dish items of our choosing (at least one will be pasta, and probably one will be meatballs)
    14 (yes 14!) Butler passed Hors D'eouvres!! 
    We pick 7 from his list, then he picks 7 more, which may not be on the list, based on whats in season and what he thinks we'll like. I know one will definitly be tiny grilled cheese sandwhiches with tomato soup shooters since that one of my favorite things! But I have no idea what we'll pick for the others yet.

See, its crazy. I'm excited though!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow that's so awesome your venue does so much! Our venues has extras but cocktail hour stuff is not one of them lol
  • We haven't chosen any of the menu yet, do so in June. I know we'll be having a full open bar and we get a signature martini-not sure what that will be yet! Cocktail hour will include a cheese display, 8 selected hors d'vours, crostini and bruschetta station, fruit and raspberry champagne. Can't wait to sample it all! 

My only concern is how much of cocktail hour will we and WP get to partake in since we only have 1/2 hour bertween ceremony and reception for pictures...
    ~ES~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards