Catholic Weddings

Going to Mass Before the Wedding

Since my fiance is not Catholic, we will likely have the ceremony outside of Mass.  I read somewhere (although I can't remember where now) that if you really want to take communion the day of your wedding, you can have a small Mass said with those family and friends who are Catholic (and those who just want to come and get a blessing, like my mom) the morning before the ceremony.  Does anyone on the board have experience with this?  If so, how did you go about setting it up?
After five years he finally asked! Wedding Countdown Ticker imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers imageVisit The Nest!

Re: Going to Mass Before the Wedding

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While a priest might do this, it would be an extra item for them to do, especially when they already have a daily mass on Saturday morning. Sometimes Baptisms are done on Saturdays. Then your wedding. Then confessions and another parish mass. Priests are only supposed to do 2 masses a day (more is allowed if absolutely necessary).

It would be good to just attend the daily mass offered by the parish.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_going-mass-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:924bafa5-f56a-4670-aa9c-337fbcdbccaaPost:6d65cc80-d1d7-42a2-b1e1-c194e2e4a1ae">Re: Going to Mass Before the Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]While a priest might do this, it would be an extra item for them to do, especially when they already have a daily mass on Saturday morning. Sometimes Baptisms are done on Saturdays. Then your wedding. Then confessions and another parish mass. Priests are only supposed to do 2 masses a day (more is allowed if absolutely necessary). It would be good to just attend the daily mass offered by the parish.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

This is all assuming there is only one priest at the parish, which may or may not be the case.

I'm not familiar with what you described, but it would be something that would have to be discussed with your priest anyway. I would also be concerned about how much time you have to do this on your wedding day. By the time you do hair and makeup and travelling and getting dressed and all that, the day really does disappear. If you're including mass, you will likely need to plan your day-of timeline carefully.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards