DC

Registry - what if you don't need anything?

As with most couples these days, my fiance and I are already living together.  We both sold houses that were fully furnished and moved into a smaller one.  He's in the Army so we will be moving quite a bit until he retires and we settle down. 

What do we do if we don't really need household items?  I feel like it would be a waste for people to buy us things that we already have.  Someone recommended a money tree but is it tacky to ask for cash?  How do you do it?  I saw some websites that specialize in it. 

What are your thoughts?  If you don't think it's tacky, how would you word it?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Registry - what if you don't need anything?

• lilgreatcamellilgreatcamel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    asking for cash or gift cards seems tacky, and some people may actually think it, but more people will appreciate a direct approach. Tell them word of mouth and on the invites that the couple would prefer monitary donations to their future life  or something fancy like that. Other couples in the same boat will take courage and I'm pretty sure the trend is on it's way in anyway.
  • OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is very tacky to just ask for cash.   

We were in similar situation where we just combined households and didn't really need a lot.  So we decided to register for fun things we probably wouldnt buy ourselves.  Like breadmaker, ice cream maker, waffle maker etc.  Stuff we wanted but never got because we knew they would be used once if that.  So if there something you always wanted, like glasses for all occassion, but never got yourself that would be something to register for.

You could also do a HM registry.  Those have become very popular and there are several websites dedicated to them. 
  • edited December 2011
    Asking for cash is tacky.  So is putting anything remotely related to a registry or gifts on or near your invitations.  Also, while HM registries are gaining popularity, some people balk at the idea of paying for even a little of your "sex-fest", but I think the response would depend on your guest list.

Some people are just going to want to give you a gift instead of cash, no matter how you go about this.  Unless you want these people to pick these things out themselves (and risk getting ten of those infamous toasters), you should probably register for a few fun items just for that reason.  You could choose some fun things like OFF suggested that you would never buy for yourself, or you could upgrade your towels and bedding and get some extra linen napkins or something.  Also, if you only register for a few things, it kind of signals to your guests that you would most like cash.

GL!!
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely second the fun items! We're going for a stand mixer, ice cream maker, and new linens for everywhere.

Another idea though is to register for honeymoon credits.  There are quite a few places that will help you set that up!
  • edited December 2011
    I also thought I didn't need to register for much - but man, my registries really took on a life of their own!  I second the pp who said to upgrade things like sheets and towels.  We haven't purchased a house yet so we registered for things that my have to stay packed away in storage for awhile. 

Honeymoon registry is also a great idea.  Or just don't register at all - I had a friend who didn't and she received cash, gift cards and traditional gifts.

Please do not set up a website to request cash!!
    Yorkie Jenga

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the good advice ... I'm actually relieved!  I don't feel right asking for money, especially since a lot of people are coming in from out of state.  What a great idea to register for fun stuff and I guess once you go to register at places, you see more than you thought you would.

Thanks, ladies!!!Smile
  • tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Register at Bed Bath & Beyond... you can return things there for cash. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards