North Carolina-Outer Banks

Rental home on 4x4 outerbanks.

Hello!! I am interested in getting married in the 4x4 in outerbanks of NC, but I cannot decide between the Hemingway and the Mark Twain!! I wanted to see if anyone has gotten married at either of those houses and what there view are on the property.I am looking to get married in either late March or early April when the price is not to high as I am on a budget.The link below are of the 2 houses I was talking about.

http://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/ocean-beach/the-hemingway.aspx

http://www.twiddy.com/homes/4x4/ocean-beach/the-mark-twain.aspx

Re: Rental home on 4x4 outerbanks.

• edited December 2011
    I wanted to make it clear I meant Late March or early April of 2013 :) I wanted to know also will it be cold around that time or will it be nice enough to get married on the beach without freezing to death!!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hello & Welcome!

Either home is absolutely gorgeous....I have seen them both in person and you have made a very very good choice.

My brother lives in the 4x4 area year round, so I have tons of info I can share with you.

Here is a link that will show the average temp for Corolla in March/April.  From the looks of it, April may be a tad bit warmer....but after long winters in Philly, I'm sure anything above 40 degrees feels like pure bliss  :)

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNC0158

Have you ever vacationed in OBX or visited the 4x4 area?  Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

A few tips:  don't drive on the 4x4 beaches like crazy people doing donuts and what not....they have 4x4 police and they will get you in a heartbeat for tearing up their beaches.  They are very protective in those parts....mainly b/c it's so remote from everything else.  Same thing goes for wild horses....stay away from them.  Taking pics is fine but its Federal Law not to come within 15 feet of them....and they will bite.  I've seen it happen and they leave some nasty bruising.  If you respect the beaches and the horses (no littering either), you will be good to go.  Don't mean to preach over here or anything, but I am very fond of that stretch of beach and like to offer heads up on certain things.

• edited December 2011
    No.I have never been there,but as soon as I came across the twiddy website I knew I wanted to get married down there!! Always wanted a beach wedding so either of those places will workd perfect for us.Thank you for all the information you gave me it was very helpful. I plan on rent a SUV from PA that is 4x4 I hope that it will be fine to drive on the sand. I want to have my own vechicle when I get down there dont want to have to be transported back and forth by a bus company :) I am booking everything without seeing or tasting so hopefully it goes well. I have decided to go with Red Cafe as the caterer and Ocean Atlantic for the tables and chairs so hopefully I have made good picks :)
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi cleshap,
    Great choices! I used Ocean Atlantic for my wedding in October and was very happy with them. Let us know if you have any other questions about what vendors to use. Many of us who post of this board visit OBX regualry or have recently had our weddings there so we can help you with your research. Best of luck with all your planning!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you Sarabrown. The only thing left that I am left lookingfor is a day of wedding planner that will be ther to help me and make things run smoothly for the day?
  • edited December 2011
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_rental-home-4x4-outerbanks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:6ead1bd0-f822-442b-92e6-624b94041b25Post:0c3fc141-9ba7-4a0b-828c-ad528ed4cedd">Re: Rental home on 4x4 outerbanks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]No.I have never been there,but as soon as I came across the twiddy website I knew I wanted to get married down there!! Always wanted a beach wedding so either of those places will workd perfect for us.Thank you for all the information you gave me it was very helpful. I plan on rent a SUV from PA that is 4x4 <strong><em>I hope that it will be fine to drive on the sand.</em></strong> I want to have my own vechicle when I get down there dont want to have to be transported back and forth by a bus company :) I am booking everything without seeing or tasting so hopefully it goes well. I have decided to go with Red Cafe as the caterer and Ocean Atlantic for the tables and chairs so hopefully I have made good picks :)
    Posted by cleshap[/QUOTE]

Most definitely can drive it on the sand.  Just make sure you let some of the air out of the tires before going into the sand and the speed limit on the beach is 10mph (they run radar believe it or not), beach goers ALWAYS have the right of way no matter what.

Red Sky Cafe is very popular and I used Ocean Atlantic Rentals and had a great experience with them!  Who is your photographer?

Tell us a little about yourself.  How did you and FI meet?  Proposal story?  Wedding colors and/or theme? Etc.

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_rental-home-4x4-outerbanks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:6ead1bd0-f822-442b-92e6-624b94041b25Post:2009f9eb-7421-47fa-9c28-f2ab5c67ece3">Re: Rental home on 4x4 outerbanks.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Sarabrown. The only thing left that I am left lookingfor is a day of wedding planner that will be ther to help me and make things run smoothly for the day?
    Posted by cleshap[/QUOTE]

We used SugarSnaps Events just for our flowers but they were wonderful to work with and they also offer day-of coordination. They have some pricing options which include their floral services and their event coordination services which were pretty competitively priced in my opinion.

Also, if depending on your guest count, you may just want to ask someone in your bridal party to handle some of the day-of stuff. This is what I ended up doing and it was fine. Hope this helps!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations. 

For your guests that will not have 4x4 vehicles, you can rent the cutest buses ever for transport from Corolla to the event home.  We have known the owners for years and they are a hoot.  Their website is http://www.corollashuttle.com/

Good luck.  BTW, my son lives in the 4x4 area so we know it well.  Like OBX2011 said, it is a great place to be married.  Just be respectful of the WILD horses.  You might want to know that they roam freely around all of the houses, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    OBX2011 My fiance and I meet in 9th grade and have been dating every since and we are finally getting married 2 boys and 2 girls later :) I really don't have a theme I just know I want lots of flowers every where,which I know can be expensive so I will probably have to start looking online for some artificial flowesr :) My favorite color is purple so I am leaning towards using purple but thinking about using more beach colors. Thank you everybody for all the help as I sure do need it :)
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Costco's for real flowers. I want to do sunflowers for my wedding, which can be expensive, they have a package for like 100 stems for $80!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    How sweet you met in 9th grade! Congrats again, you must both be so thrilled.

Awesome color scheme choice! :)
    Our colors were deep purple and mint green. We used some fake flowers in our centerpieces and ceremony decor and I thought the colors worked well with the natural beach tones. I ordered some online at save-on-crafts.com and was happy with the quality. Hope that might help you. If you need any pics of purple stuff, lemme know too!
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Sams, Costco and Harris Teeter to save money on the flowers.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the idea's I will look at those places for flower ideas.

• edited December 2011
    Hey ksj10032782. Are you going to order your flowers online and have them sent to you or pick them up from the store? I am unsure of how the whole process works. I see you live in central Pa I am like 15 mins from lancaster so I was wondering what your plans where going to be if you are planning a obx wedding for getting your flowers down there?
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are probably going to order them online and have them sent to our house down there.. We're having our wedding at the Sanderling, and it includes a flower credit, so I'm still on the fence if we want additional flowers for the reception or not, we're doing sand and shells centerpieces.. but I think if we do end up ordering fresh flowers, we will have them shipped to the Outer Banks house.

I live right outside Harrisburg, graduated from Millersville though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lgorm893lgorm893 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I am getting married on the 4x4 at the Wild Horse this May. I went with Red Sky Cafe for my catering as well. Eric is great to work with and their food is delicious! We also went to the restaurnat every year when vacationing down there and when we found out they catered to the 4x4 i didn't even look for anyone else.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey lgorm893 I wanted to get married at the Wild Horse,but it was not in my price range.That house was the reason why I wanted to have my wedding in the OBX of NC but, because of cost I had to select another house on the 4x4 :) I'm trying to decide between ordering flowers online and using a florist down in the obx. Don't want to order flowers online and they come to me almost dead or I kill them becasue I am not handy when it comes to flowers :)
  • seashells12seashells12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sugar Snap Events provides floral and decoration services by Shirley. And Laura does the wedding coordination. We have hired them for my daughter's wedding. They wonderful to work with!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    A lot of us, including myself, had Maggi of Harris Teeter do our flowers.  I loved mine and was very very happy with the price.  If you aren't doing a lot with floral decor this may be something worth looking into however, if you want to include a lot of florals then I would consider Sugar Snaps.  I have heard a lot of great things about them :)

• lgorm893lgorm893 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be using a friend of a friend for my florist, she's from VA and I'm not sure where she is planning on getting flowers from down there or if she will be bringing them with her. If I find out a good place down there I will definitely let you know!
  • edited December 2011
    Ok. Thank you lgorm893. I know that flowers can become exspensive and flowers are a big part of my wedding so I want to try and get the best price.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey OBX2011 What exactly is Maggi of Harris Teeter and where are they located? Are they a florist, I tried to search it online, but the only thing that came up was a Food Market so I wasn't sure if that was the right place? And thanks again to everyone for all the good advice and help!!
  • edited December 2011
    Does anybody know of anyone who got married at The Mark Twain or have pics of real wedding that has been there just want to see how they did there lay out ect.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    The Harris Teeter grocery store is located at MP (milepost) 3 as soon as you cross the bridge into Nags Head and Maggi runs the floral dept there.  Several of us have used her and she is really good with ideas and arrangements but at a very affordable price. 

• Sorry if my post seems silly but I am just starting to research my wedding in the outer banks before settling on one area. All we want is a simple beach wedding whether it's at the beach or at the house. Simple is what we are striving for but I've come across this 4x4 stuff and now I'm intrigued by the home selections. They are gorgeous and off the beaten path but what does this 4x4 actually mean? There are no actual roads leading to the homes? Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Gina

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    GinaPas said:

Sorry if my post seems silly but I am just starting to research my wedding in the outer banks before settling on one area. All we want is a simple beach wedding whether it's at the beach or at the house. Simple is what we are striving for but I've come across this 4x4 stuff and now I'm intrigued by the home selections. They are gorgeous and off the beaten path but what does this 4x4 actually mean? There are no actual roads leading to the homes? Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Gina

4x4 means that you must have a 4wheel drive vehicle in order to get there, including your guests, unless you have rented transportation that will commute your guests to 4x4 area.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards