Students

Might be able to get married sooner, but trying not to get my hopes up

Currently my FI and I are planning on getting married December 2013.  It is when we will both be done with undergrad.  We have never wanted to wait until we finished, but as I'm sure most of you know financially it isn't always a great choice to get married while in school.  My parents currently pay the remainder of my tuition not covered by scholarships and will stop if we get married during college. 

Anyways, my FI recently got a huge business opportunity and has the potential to make quite a bit of money.  We talked and decided that if he makes enough money to pay for my last semester of school and to pay off my loans (about $20,000) then we could get married next summer.  We both currently work, but he pays his own room and board (about $1000 a month in chicago, but his school doesn't charge tuition).  I have been saving as much as possible, but do pay for some of my own living expenses.  We have a plan for how much we would like to spend on the wedding and how much we want to have in the bank when its all said and done.  We don't want those things to change based on this job opportunity.

I'm really excited that we might be able to get married when we originally wanted to, but at the same time I don't want to get my hopes up. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Might be able to get married sooner, but trying not to get my hopes up

• I may be missing something, but if your earlier wedding date is only 4-5 months before the date you were planning anyway, wouldn't it be way more practical to go with the December date and still have your parents help you with your last semester of tuition?  I know your fiance COULD pay it, if all goes well, but if it's only 5 months either way, I just feel like it would be smarter to have that money in the bank, collecting interest, towards your future together, intseda of getting blown on tuition that your parents are willing to pay for you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_might-be-able-to-get-married-sooner-but-trying-not-to-get-my-hopes-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:72949e5d-2629-4ab9-ae70-2bb8afdd61b3Post:3e27a094-9c27-4d3b-9f50-1c22b90aa57c">Re: Might be able to get married sooner, but trying not to get my hopes up</a>:
    [QUOTE]I may be missing something, but if your earlier wedding date is only 4-5 months before the date you were planning anyway, wouldn't it be way more practical to go with the December date and still have your parents help you with your last semester of tuition?  I know your fiance COULD pay it, if all goes well, but if it's only 5 months either way, I just feel like it would be smarter to have that money in the bank, collecting interest, towards your future together, intseda of getting blown on tuition that your parents are willing to pay for you.
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this.  I know waiting sucks sometimes but if it's the best option you should consider it.  And when I say best option I mean best option financially.  Why would you want to pay for tuition that your parents are currently paying for you?  Especially when you could save the money for something else after you're married.   

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_might-be-able-to-get-married-sooner-but-trying-not-to-get-my-hopes-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:72949e5d-2629-4ab9-ae70-2bb8afdd61b3Post:e133381d-d275-4b35-86c6-7c24bb6f8d85">Re: Might be able to get married sooner, but trying not to get my hopes up</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might be able to get married sooner, but trying not to get my hopes up : I agree with this.  I know waiting sucks sometimes but if it's the best option you should consider it.  And when I say best option I mean best option financially.  <strong>Why would you want to pay for tuition that your parents are currently paying for you?  Especially when you could save the money for something else after you're married.   </strong>
    Posted by Annas2013[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  I did the same thing with my parents.  They said I could live on campus and they would pay or I could live off campus and I could pay... Choice was clear to me.  Save the money for a house down payment.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly, summer vs. winter is a very short amount of time. I agree with the girls and I'd probably wait. JMO.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • It's fun to have a wedding in the Summer. I would probably wait because I've gone through the same thing as you. Instead of the spring wedding I wanted we compromised with a late September wedding (which isn't too bad in SW Virginia; it's still warm here during that time.)

If you do end up having to wait, just know you're not alone. Student brides know allll about waiting. I hope you get whatever makes you happy! If your wedding does end up in December, just think of it as more time to leisurely prepare :)
  • I'd also agree that waiting until December seems like the best, less-stressful option. Good luck with whatever you decide!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards