Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Sicilian traditions.

MY father is half Sicilian and I would like to honor his memory by having a traditional(or as close as possible) wedding and reception. Problem is I do not know many of the traditions. Can some one please tell me all the traditions they know of right down to the food. We are having our reception in an Italian restaurant and they are willing to make any food we want.

Re: Sicilian traditions.

• I think that is a nice gesture but why would you want a traditional Sicilian wedding if you don't even KNOW any traditions? Usually traditions are there because you are familiar with them, have been a part of them, are important to you, etc. It seems silly to me just to try to make your wedding all Sicilian just in the memory of someone. There are plenty of other ways to honor a person's memory. If you search on this board, many ideas are given.
    June 16, 2012
  • You can gry googling "sicilian wedding traditions" and then read through all the hits.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_sicilian-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:2d7586ba-3179-49d9-9e8d-d1a2f0c9f4a7Post:36a07dbf-dbf4-4647-bb04-542018c92650">Re: Sicilian traditions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that is a nice gesture but why would you want a traditional Sicilian wedding if you don't even KNOW any traditions? Usually traditions are there because you are familiar with them, have been a part of them, are important to you, etc. It seems silly to me just to try to make your wedding all Sicilian just in the memory of someone. There are plenty of other ways to honor a person's memory. If you search on this board, many ideas are given.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

<div>I have to say that I agree with this, 100%.   If you don't even KNOW of any Sicilian traditions, then how is it meaningful to icorporate them into your wedding?    </div><div>
    </div><div>Can you ask your mom if they used any Sicilian traditions in THEIR wedding? If so, then maybe you can use one or two elements.  If your mom doesn't know, maybe you can ask your dad's parents (if they are alive) or any aunts and uncles.   But if it wasn't something that your dad talked about, or even used in his wedding, then it probably wasn't anything that was meaningful to HIM either (which might make this a poor way to honor his memory).</div>
    DSC_9275
  • edited February 2012
    Well... the full story is that my dad found out about his Bio father only a few months before I lost him. I do know some traditons he was looking into it and very excited to learn about his true haritage. A Sicilian wedding was his idea before I lost him not long after my engagment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards