Students

BA or BS? medical school help?

As I have posted on these discussions, I have been questioning whether or not to go for my BS or a BA in Biochemistry. I have a few credits (my old cc put forensics under criminal justce classes cause they had no bio major and gave me lots of law classes). Since the BA has a higher conceration on the arts or extracurriculars, a good part of my art credits transferred over so if I go with the BA, there is a higher chance I can grad a semester early and concentrate at my finals (take a week to go in very mild planning mode) then concentrate on the wedding while I wait for medical school aceptances or rejections. 

My question is does a medical schools look down on the BA? Would it be better to get a BS?

Re: BA or BS? medical school help?

• I don't think it matters. Some schools only offer BS's for engineering subjects (like my undergrad institution), so there were plenty of people who earned BAs in Chemistry and Biochemistry and then went on to med school in my graduating class. If the BA is going to work better for you credit-wise, I would do that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ba-or-bs-medical-school-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:46011dc6-859b-4414-b254-544d8b8556bePost:f78de8df-1199-4dfb-84ba-94dac2d91dce">Re: BA or BS? medical school help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it matters. Some schools only offer BS's for engineering subjects (like my undergrad institution), so there were plenty of people who earned BAs in Chemistry and Biochemistry and then went on to med school in my graduating class. If the BA is going to work better for you credit-wise, I would do that.
    Posted by lissadelsol[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you :)</div>
  • edited May 2012
    It depends on where you are applying, and/or how familiar the person looking at your application is with your program.  Where I got my B.S., there was an option fo B.A.or B.S. and the pre-med advisors definitely look down on choosing the B.A. route.  Other schools only offer B.A.s, but they often have the same requirements as a B.S. at another school, so there is no issue.  I think a lot of it boils down to the classes that you actually take, but in your situation I would tough it out for the B.S. because it sounds like otherwise, the majority of your transcript is going to look like fluff.

I think that choosing the B.A. route might look like taking the easy way out, and considering how competitive the medical school application process is, I would avoid that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ba-or-bs-medical-school-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:46011dc6-859b-4414-b254-544d8b8556bePost:abc9aa08-b7fe-4456-8560-2bc99fbb1e26">Re: BA or BS? medical school help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on where you are applying, and/or how familiar the person looking at your application is with your program.  Where I got my B.S., there was an option fo B.A.or B.S. and the pre-med advisors definitely look down on choosing the B.A. route.  Other schools only offer B.A.s, but they often have the same requirements as a B.S. at another school, so there is no issue.  I think a lot of it boils down to the classes that you actually take, but in your situation I would tough it out for the B.S. because it sounds like otherwise, the majority of your transcript is going to look like fluff. I think that choosing the B.A. route might look like taking the easy way out, and considering how competitive the medical school application process is, I would avoid that.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the advice. I will talk to the premed advisor and see what he prescribes.

</div>
  • I think it depends on where you are going to undergrad. For example, I'm getting a BA in biology and biology is the largest major at my school. We have an AMAZING science program and while I don't know med school stats, everyone at my school that applies to pharmacy school gets in. We also have a very large population of people who are premed, so my school has a lot of resources for helping students get into med school and build resumes. But not all libral arts schools have a strong science program. I personally love the feel and the options of a liberal arts school. I have a lot more options for my ethical and behavioral science requirements for pharmacy school and I get to also be a Latin major.

So I guess it depends on where you're going and what you want to do/take in undergrad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ba-or-bs-medical-school-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:46011dc6-859b-4414-b254-544d8b8556bePost:daf67e66-312b-4c2e-8009-ada222de7393">Re: BA or BS? medical school help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on where you are going to undergrad. For example, I'm getting a BA in biology and biology is the largest major at my school. We have an AMAZING science program and while I don't know med school stats, everyone at my school that applies to pharmacy school gets in. We also have a very large population of people who are premed, so my school has a lot of resources for helping students get into med school and build resumes. But not all libral arts schools have a strong science program. I personally love the feel and the options of a liberal arts school. I have a lot more options for my ethical and behavioral science requirements for pharmacy school and I get to also be a Latin major. So I guess it depends on where you're going and what you want to do/take in undergrad.
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I am going to Manhattan College which I don't think is a libral arts college. When I went for accepted students day, half of the people there stood up when they called the school of science lol. I have spoken with the premed adivsor on that day and he was very helpful. They even have a prehealth frat(co-ed). I want to do all my needed courses but I want to study Japanese (I have always wanted to) so I can do that while filling the requirement of language for the BA. The college made me take a survey for advisor and asked if i was interested in pre-med so I wil hopefully get an adivosr wellversed in premed. If not the premed advisor for the school invited me to this pre-med club meeting at the start of th school year so hopefully that will help. I make my shcedule in 5 weeks at orientation so I can ask questions there.

</div>
  • edited May 2012
    Will having more science classes help you on the MCAT?  If so, then I'd opt for the BS.  What if you don't get into med school?  Is a BA or BS in biochem going to get you the better job?
  • Bottom line: It doesn't matter. Schools don't care about BS vs BA. It's more important that you do well in your classes and on the MCAT, regardless of your major or degree. Plenty of people come to med school without even a science major, just the premed requirements. Schools like diversity- showing an interest in other things and wanting room for non-science things is not something most will look down on you for, and most will look at it as a pro!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ba-or-bs-medical-school-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:46011dc6-859b-4414-b254-544d8b8556bePost:b2ddd576-03d2-4a4b-b6e9-4ea9431a403d">Re: BA or BS? medical school help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bottom line: It doesn't matter. Schools don't care about BS vs BA. It's more important that you do well in your classes and on the MCAT, regardless of your major or degree. Plenty of people come to med school without even a science major, just the premed requirements. Schools like diversity- showing an interest in other things and wanting room for non-science things is not something most will look down on you for, and most will look at it as a pro!
    Posted by TeamSnugglefest[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you all for your advice. Amoung the books I have read about the MCAT and medical schools, it says it doesn't matter but I was worried it would be taking the easy way out. I was trying to decide to between possibly looking like I coped out or the image of the "well-rounded individual" it seems they wanted.</div>
  • You might also want to consider if it would matter if you needed a back up plan if med school fell through. Not trying to be negative, just a thought. I've seen graduate programs that require a B.S.
  • I work at a med school.  Most do not really have a preference for one over the other.  Employers are more likely to have an issue with it but there are pros and cons for going with both.
    If med school doesn't work out what would you do?  This is how I'd pick which route to go with.
  • I am not sure what I want to do if I don't get in. Probably working in a lab, though probably forensics cause that's the particular field I am aiming for (goal is a forensic pathologist). I am not sure I would want to go through grad school. Any thoughts? I am thinking of three choices if I don't get in:

a) Just go straight into the workforce
    b) Apply for grad school
    c) Take a break before grad school, take some time to establish expirence, save up some money, and focus on taking a chunk out of undergrad student loans
  • anyone have any suggestions of careers I can pursue with a BA in biochemistry? Also some that are for BS in biochemistry?
  • ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ba-or-bs-medical-school-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:46011dc6-859b-4414-b254-544d8b8556bePost:9cdfb167-985a-4d97-913c-0739a529bf51">Re: BA or BS? medical school help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]anyone have any suggestions of careers I can pursue with a BA in biochemistry? Also some that are for BS in biochemistry?
    Posted by Yankees413[/QUOTE]
    I don't know about biochemistry, but my mom works in a lab and says that it's very hard to get a job in your field with a bachelor's in biology. All the bio majors in her lab that didn't go to grad school are doing dirty work and making very little money. A BA would help you get a job unrelated to your field, because you will be more well rounded, have more writing experience, and possibly have more foreign language experience (for example, if pharmacy doesn't work out for me, I could go teach Latin in a private school *shudders*). Otherwise, if you don't get into med school, I would suggest working in your field for a year and reapplying or going to grad school.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_ba-or-bs-medical-school-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:46011dc6-859b-4414-b254-544d8b8556bePost:710d7f85-6ed4-4211-9039-1839586b6e18">Re: BA or BS? medical school help?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BA or BS? medical school help? : I don't know about biochemistry, but my mom works in a lab and says that it's very hard to get a job in your field with a bachelor's in biology. All the bio majors in her lab that didn't go to grad school are doing dirty work and making very little money. A BA would help you get a job unrelated to your field, because you will be more well rounded, have more writing experience, and possibly have more foreign language experience (for example, if pharmacy doesn't work out for me, I could go teach Latin in a private school *shudders*). Otherwise, if you don't get into med school, I would suggest working in your field for a year and reapplying or going to grad school.
    Posted by Chloeagh[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you. :) I will probably go to grad school if medical school doesn't work out. maybe get my Phd in biology. right now, med school is my ultimate goal.</div>
  • I have a bachelors of science in biology.  Before I graduated with my undergraduate I started looking for a job and wasn't able to find one that paid more than $13/hour which wasn't quite what I expected having a college degree.  I decided to get a masters in cell/molecular biology to have more options for higher paying careers.  My biggest mistake as an undergrad was not doing research with the professors at my university or doing internships in my field, I had a lot of jobs but didn't want to do anything unpaid.  Try to find internships doing anything related to biology or lab research at school, it will give you more options to get into grad, medical school, or find a job if you choose to do so when you graduate. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards