Snarky Brides

Really? Just Really?

Went to take a look at reception sites today. And N said I was obviously judging the individual showing us the hall. She had drawn on eyebrows that looked like caterpillars. Sorry to insult caterpillars because they are cute, and this chick was not.

To make matters worse, the prices were INSANE.

N and I decided we wanted to support the local fire company that is on our side of the city. It is actually a company I was thinking about joining. But not so sure after today.

They wanted to charge $24 per person just for an open bar/beverages. Just to have pop, coffee, and boxed wine it was $22. In addition to that, it was $150 per bar tender and required 2. 17% gratuity charged per person. A $2 upcharge for Jack Daniels. $4 per round table. China was included BUT they charged $10 per table for linens, $6 for overlays, $.50 for napkins. That is not including all the other ridiculous fees they had. In addition, they had a $100 setup fee and $50 tear down fee. Guess where they got their linens... Yeah I do wedding planning on the side and allow fire companies to use my stuff for free to make the hall more appealing to raise money. Granted the lady did not know who I was and I did not say anything, but its nice to know they are gouging the crap out of people. Then after she went through all those prices she said tipping the bartenders was encouraged... WHAT THE HECK IS GRATUITY GOING TO?

But overall, for a fire department's social hall we were looking at almost $7000 without food or anything else.

We were going to a social hall to save money, support our fire department, and have all of our family at our wedding and had just given up hope of being able to afford what we wanted to do. But heck at those prices we could have an all inclusive package at our dream location.

Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe.

Re: Really? Just Really?

• Oooh where in Pittsburgh was it?  I'm assuming that's where you're getting married.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Could you tell her that you are the one who allows them to use your linens and possibly work out some sort of deal?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I declined the linen offer. Those prices were the base prices without any of the extras. I have never in my life of wedding planning heard of a place charging $24 per person for an open bar. That is insane.
  • How many hours for the open bar? I think $24 pp doesn't sound too bad. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lindseyann410lindseyann410 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Still, you could say, "Hey, I have let you borrow my linens for free X number of times. Now I know you are profiting from my linens.  What can we do about the liquor prices?"

ETA: $24 per person for open bar isn't a great price, but it isn't horrible either.  From what I was seeing, it's about average.  Think about it: Average mixed drink is $5.  A drink an hour for a five hour reception would be $25.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would have totally named dropped that I'm where they get their linens from.

• And I probably could get the hall for a lot cheaper had I told her I was a member of the other company, but really? That is what I donate my stuff for? I mean when I do weddings I do not even charge that much to use my own dang stuff. This is a community funded volunteer organization and that is how they treat their citizens. From all the sites I have looked it, it was a mediocre site but was far than the same date at Lingrow Farm or one of the other more prestigous locations.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:6baa83ca-3ecd-4f01-956e-00700c31157b">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many hours for the open bar? I think $24 pp doesn't sound too bad. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking.  Sounds like a deal.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • OP how many people are you talking about? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • They use my linens for FREE. I do not charge them anything to use them. All the fees go to the fire department. I just ask them to launder them. I usually press them when I get them back.

And the open bar was 4 hours.

$22 per hour for just pop is nuts. That is no alcohol included. It would be $26 so we could have Jack Daniels the drink of choice for our families.

• The gratuity may be going to the waitstaff too along with bartenders.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know what their budgets are. I also know that my company in the same area charges much less. $1000 hall rental, $7 pp for pop, and its bring your own liquor. If they do the catering its anywhere from $25-$48 pp for an open bar, pop, mixers, bar tenders and its all inclusive.
  • Smash and I can help you with Pittsburgh places. My reception was at the zoo and we got to take our own alcohol.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:1b3b4e05-0da3-44d8-84a9-90f934f639a8">Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Went to take a look at reception sites today. And N said I was obviously judging the individual showing us the hall. She had drawn on eyebrows that looked like caterpillars. Sorry to insult caterpillars because they are cute, and this chick was not. To make matters worse, the prices were INSANE. N and I decided we wanted to support the local fire company that is on our side of the city. It is actually a company I was thinking about joining. But not so sure after today. They wanted to charge $24 per person just for an open bar/beverages. Just to have pop, coffee, and boxed wine it was $22. In addition to that, it was $150 per bar tender and required 2. 17% gratuity charged per person. A $2 upcharge for Jack Daniels. $4 per round table. China was included BUT they charged $10 per table for linens, $6 for overlays, $.50 for napkins. That is not including all the other ridiculous fees they had. In addition, they had a $100 setup fee and $50 tear down fee. Guess where they got their linens... <strong>Yeah I do wedding planning on the side</strong> and allow fire companies to use my stuff for free to make the hall more appealing to raise money. Granted the lady did not know who I was and I did not say anything, but its nice to know they are gouging the crap out of people. Then after she went through all those prices she said tipping the bartenders was encouraged... WHAT THE HECK IS GRATUITY GOING TO? But overall, for a fire department's social hall we were looking at almost $7000 without food or anything else. We were going to a social hall to save money, support our fire department, and have all of our family at our wedding and had just given up hope of being able to afford what we wanted to do. But heck at those prices we could have an all inclusive package at our dream location. Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe.
    Posted by Stormz[/QUOTE]

From your business do you not know of any other venues that are more in your budget/what you want to spend? 
    imageVacation
  • I would stop talking about your company.  Vendors are not allowed here so be careful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Look, you have tools you can negotiate with (the fact you donate linens, being a member), so why don't you call them back and see what you can do?  And be nice about it; that goes a lot further than being upset/mad and rude.

I understand you're upset, but you don't seem to be realizing that there's still things you can do. It won't hurt to ask.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • There is no waitstaff. That does not include food. All it includes is the hall and 2 bartenders plus they expect the bartenders to be tipped.

You pay additional per table, plus linens, plus set up and tear down, plus additional for cake, gift, and head table with no decorations.
  • Just find another venue.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This isn't the ONLY place to have your wedding though. Search around and find a new place.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • If you don't like the terms the venue has, find another venue. You aren't forced to have your wedding/reception there. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:3791c6c5-18c0-4ea7-a531-d585f475981b">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know what their budgets are. I also know that my company in the same area charges much less. $1000 hall rental, $7 pp for pop, and its bring your own liquor. If they do the catering its anywhere from $25-$48 pp for an open bar, pop, mixers, bar tenders and its all inclusive.
    Posted by Stormz[/QUOTE]
    So if your company deals with a venue that has this sweet of a deal, why are you looking at other venues. Why not use the one that your own freaking company handles business for?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lindseyann410lindseyann410 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:3791c6c5-18c0-4ea7-a531-d585f475981b">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know what their budgets are. I also know that my company in the same area charges much less. $1000 hall rental, $7 pp for pop, and its bring your own liquor. If they do the catering its anywhere from $25-$48 pp for an open bar, pop, mixers, bar tenders and its all inclusive.
    Posted by Stormz[/QUOTE]

<div>Then why don't you have it there?</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: DMills beat me to it.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree, find another venue and stop talking about your own business. I'm teetering on the edge of feeling like you're using your vent as an excuse to advertise considering this isn't the first time you've mentioned your wedding planning on the boards.
  • It just irked me. We are going to the other social hall closer to my families. I am not going to name drop or anything like that. I dont believe in mixing friends/family with my personal events. A lot of hard feelings and disasters come from that I have learned.

I just was at awe at how rude the lady was, the outrageous prices and the claims she made, and the fact that the average person in the community this place is located in was in no way able to afford it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:e8cddcbd-c271-460d-8235-2e50697b46fe">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It just irked me. We are going to the other social hall closer to my families. I am not going to name drop or anything like that. I dont believe in mixing friends/family with my personal events. A lot of hard feelings and disasters come from that I have learned. I just was at awe at how rude the lady was, the outrageous prices and the claims she made, and the fact that the average person in the community this place is located in was in no way able to afford it.
    Posted by Stormz[/QUOTE]
    and her eyebrows...
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:9a03ee01-fc82-402c-951b-23a00340b0a0">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Really? Just Really? : and her eyebrows...
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Maybe she has alopecia?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have never advertised my services, what my company is, or even my location. So I suppose it would be pretty difficult to advertise without those key components. I have not even posted in the classified ads. No website. No pics. Just my wedding woes as anyone else. So what exactly am I advertising?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:c8e2fa39-fe14-4b6d-8819-0b2ba1835c23">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Really? Just Really? : Maybe she has alopecia?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Nah, it's pretty much a Pittsburgh thing to have really thick penciled in eyebrows. The more pencil, the better.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_really-just-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ea4ea78c-1de9-44fe-9fe7-ce5346bb67e0Post:b2c46b49-974c-45c5-bc84-1db5255fb2e6">Re: Really? Just Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never advertised my services, what my company is, or even my location. So I suppose it would be pretty difficult to advertise without those key components. I have not even posted in the classified ads. No website. No pics. Just my wedding woes as anyone else. So what exactly am I advertising?
    Posted by Stormz[/QUOTE]

You are not even allowed to talk about being in the wedding business.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • company as in the same department. this was a fire companys social hall that belongs to our department. not my "personal" company. not affiliated with the social hall. i just work bingos there like any other member.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards