Catholic Weddings

Unpopular Opinions

Happy Friday!  Share your unpopular opinions...the ones you "know" you are right about, and the ones you know you're probably wrong about.  Feel free to include your justification!

1.  I hate the movie "The Notebook."  It's glorified cheating.  You shouldn't marry someone if there's someone else you'd rather be with, if only they wanted to be with you.  And even if you're kinda forced into marriage, you owe it to your (presumably invalid) spouse to end the marriage (and get an annulment!) before going after someone else.  Cheating on one's spouse isn't romantic, IMO.
2. I don't like coffee.  I like mild coffee flavors, so coffee ice cream or a frappucino is enjoyable, but anything too strong is disgusting to me.  It smells great, but tastes nasty. (I think Biblio's opinion of me just went down a few pegs lol!)
3.  I would rather go to a Wednesday evening wedding than one on a Saturday morning.  I am not a morning person, and Saturday is the only day of the week I get to sleep in.  Don't ruin that for me!  Same goes for anything...I want no events held before 2PM on Saturdays!! (I realize I am in the extreme minority in this, and I do attend plenty of weddings, baptisms, birthday parties, etc., on Saturday mornings.  This is one of those where you know you're wrong, but you still feel the way you feel!)

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Oh, speaking of Pinterest, have any of you seen "Pinterest, You Are Drunk"?  One of my new favorite blogs -- just a ton of some of the most ridiculous things found on Pinterest.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:debb7e43-eea0-4b0c-a33b-18efdc6aaf77Post:4d4d596f-36fd-470f-8b2b-1435fe51d0bb">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, speaking of Pinterest, have any of you seen "Pinterest, You Are Drunk"?  One of my new favorite blogs -- just a ton of some of the most ridiculous things found on Pinterest.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]
    lol, oh wow, prof... I'm looking at that right now. RIDICULOUS!
    Anniversary
  • I'll play!

I'm Catholic but beleive abortion should be a permissible thing. It's unpleasant but sometimes nessasary. VSealedV Make it a safe procedure at the very least, and educate all parties. 

I think "trouble-kids" should be segrgated in outside schools with harsher punishments and disciplines. It'sh ard enough for teachers to teach without a couple of awful, unmotivated monsters in the classrooms. 

I hate Queso dip but I can't stop eating it. I've got a dress I need to fit into next year.

I really dislike when starlets butcher songs like the National Anthem by barking like seals or hiccuping some hopeless tune version of what's supposed to be an awesome, wonderful song.

I don't like  heavily tattooed brides. This is completely irrational, but having some wide colorful armsleeve tat just doesn't jibe with the (usually) pure white dress. 
  • To any lurkers who may not know:

Catholics cannot believe abortion is ok. This is an offense which one can be excommunicated for. 

It is the same thing as being a vegetarian who eats meat. By its very definition, it is contradictory.
  • It's pretty simple:
    Commandment #5. You shall not kill.
  • Well, I'm Catholic, and I believe in the reality as well as the theology.
  • <span style="font-size:11px;line-height:14px;">[QUOTE]Well, I'm Catholic, and I believe in the reality as well as the theology.</span>
    Posted by rodigsorange[/QUOTE]
    so, by that logic, it would be ok to kill a 6-year old girl if she were "inconvenient" and her parents didn't want her?
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:debb7e43-eea0-4b0c-a33b-18efdc6aaf77Post:c184e4d7-10b6-4105-88e6-a792dccea5e8">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I'm Catholic, and I believe in the reality as well as the theology.

<div>The reality matches the theology. It's a human being. We can't murder human beings. </div><div>
    </div><div>As someone who is adopted, its offensive when people say I should have been aborted, and any promotiion of abortion says just that. Because each person is as real of a human being as I am. </div>
  • i can see how some people think its ok to have an abortion when its to save hte mother's life.  i personally dont believe in abortion in any circumstance, but i can see how people make this argument.

but any other stuation, i simply cant see how it would ever be acceptable.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:debb7e43-eea0-4b0c-a33b-18efdc6aaf77Post:b07966b0-026b-420f-8311-43ad8943605d">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]so, by that logic, it would be ok to kill a 6-year old girl if she were "inconvenient" and her parents didn't want her?
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

<div><p style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:10.5pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;">Not at all; don't be obtuse. The six year old is a living breathing personality with all the rights afforded to her that aren't for a mucus and tissue symbiotic parasite organism (for lack of a better word). Seven years prior, in eutero, would be where the “inconvenient” abortion would be an option.</span></p></div>
  • [QUOTE] Not at all; don't be obtuse. The six year old is a living breathing personality with all the rights afforded to her that aren't for a mucus and tissue symbiotic parasite organism (for lack of a better word). Seven years prior, in eutero, would be where the “inconvenient” abortion would be an option.
    I hate to break it to you, but you're the one being obtuse. A "fetus" IS a living human being. Should it be ok to kill an unwanted 6-month year old b/c it relies on it's mothers milk? What about an old person who needs a ventilator? What about a diabetic who needs insulin? Reliance on something/someone else is NOT what determines whether something is human, and certainly should not determine whether that "thing" has a RIGHT to live.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_unpopular-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:debb7e43-eea0-4b0c-a33b-18efdc6aaf77Post:a2f0c051-fc17-4ff8-bec7-e441ebcdd4db">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Not at all; don't be obtuse. The six year old is a living breathing personality with all the rights afforded to her that aren't for a mucus and tissue symbiotic parasite organism (for lack of a better word). Seven years prior, in eutero, would be where the “inconvenient” abortion would be an option.

Someone needs to return to biology class.  A parasite, by definition, even if symbiotic, cannot be of the same species as the host. 

And when does one get rights?  When you can breathe?  Define breathing, because technically fetuses breathe as well.  When they have a "personality"?  When is that?  Some might argue not until the baby was at least a few months old.  Welcome infanticide.  Others would argue that a baby in the womb can have a personality.  Either way, having a personality is a terrible criterion to define a human with rights since it's based purely on your perception, not science. 

Pro-choicers have to do mental gymnastics to come up with all these arbitrary, subjective criteria for when a human becomes a "person" with rights.  "Viability" (which is constantly moving younger and younger), "personality", "breathing", independence (which arguably doesn't occur until the child is old enough to survive without parents), etc.  None of these arguments are based upon SCIENCE... then they have the nerve to call us obtuse. 

Scientifically... human life begins at conception.  All this "personhood" jargon is just nonsense.  Just a way to deny people rights, just as they did with african americans before the 14th amendment, and just the way Hitler did to the Jews.  Living humans are living humans... period.  Whether in a womb, in a cradle, or in a hospital bed paralyzed.  No one has the right to take human life.

SaveSave
  • I doubt there is going to be anything productive to say in this thread about abortion. As Catholics, we know that life begins at conception and anything that we do to directly prevent or stop that life is murder. Regardless of whether the murder is committed on a fetus or a newborn or an adult murder is murder. Anyone who has trouble with this concept as a Catholic should do some reading. I suggest Christopher West to start as he is easy to read and understand. You will learn that this ties into every other teaching of the Church. It wouldn't make sense to disagree with this and agree with other doctrine. I didn't realize how tightly knit everything was until I started digging into the teaching more deeply. If you want to ask questions here in a productive, open minded and respectful manner, I encourage you to start another thread. I am going to close this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards