Christian Weddings

The Love Dare

Has anyone read "The Love Dare" by Stephen Kendrick?  There is a movie based on this book called "Fireproof."  I haven't read or seen either, but I'm interested as we get closer to the big day.  Any feedback is appreciated!! 
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: The Love Dare

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't read the book, but the movie is really good. The idea in the movie is a great one, so if the book is anything like that I think it would be a good read.

Also, I highly recommend the movie. I love it, but what I found really surprising is that my BF even loved it.
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What's the idea behind them?
  • edited December 2011
    Here is a brief description from the Amazon.com listing:

Too many marriages end when someone says "I've fallen out of love with you" or "I don't love you anymore." The Love Dare discusses how these statements reveal a lack of understanding about the fundamental nature of true love.As featured in the popular new movie Fireproof, from the team that brought us the #1 best selling DVD Facing the Giants, The Love Dare is a 40-day guided devotional experience that will lead your heart back to truly loving your spouse while learning more about the design, nature, and source of true love. Each reading includes Scripture, a statement of principle, the day's "dare," and a journaling area and check box to chart progress.Dare to take The Love Dare, and see your marriage change forever.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The movie Fireproof is about a firefighter struggling in his marriage. His father gives him a journal containing a devotional to encourage him to work through the problems with his wife (all from a Christian perspective).
  • MrsTucker2011MrsTucker2011 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Really good. I liked the movie. Haven't read the book yet, but I've heard good reviews. I have an app on my iPhone from the Love Dare. It's a day by day devotional. I highly recommend it. :)
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Fireproof is amazing, The Love Dare is really good, I started reading it with my FI, but it seems more for married couples, so we decided to finish it after we're married :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I heard the book is wonderful! My fiance and I definitely plan on reading it after we get married. I heard The 5 Love Languages is good, too (I don't think it's a devotional though, but I heard it's good). 

My fiance and I are reading/doing Devotions for Dating Couples now (it is for couples who are very seriously considering marriage or are already engaged). We are just about to begin week 4 and it is awesome! It helps to strengthen your individual relationship with God which will help to strengthen your relationship with your fiance and prepare you for a loving, strong, Christ-centered marriage. If you and your fiance are looking for a devotional to do before your Big Day, I recommend this one. 
  • NA_Adam11NA_Adam11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fireprooof is a great movie and i have heard great things about the book. The movie was actually made by a church :)

ashnoel: what is the devo that you and your fiance are doing? Because my fiance and i have been looking for a good one and havnt been able to find one. Any information on it would be great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I were actually talking about that book this weekend. He said that The Love Dare itself is hard to read as a couple, because it is written more as a challenge to one spouse if there is trouble in the marriage. (FI's brother and SIL actually fought a LOT as a result of trying to read the book together - because you know what the other person is "working on", it's tempting to be critical.) I think it would work much better if the other person wasn't aware that you were reading it. (The movie is great, too, if you can get past the occasionally cheesy acting.)

FI has The Love Dare Day by Day: A Year of Devotions for Couples. Glancing through it, I feel it is a much better fit for a newly married couple than the original Love Dare. We will go through that one together after we're married, and we plan to read through the entire Bible together by our first anniversary as well.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_love-dare-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d852e517-6913-40e2-96c3-6eeacb1492a1Post:448701a9-97c8-4315-af4f-2df95de9ae69">Re: The Love Dare</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I were actually talking about that book this weekend. He said that The Love Dare itself is hard to read as a couple, because it is written more as a challenge to one spouse if there is trouble in the marriage. (FI's brother and SIL actually fought a LOT as a result of trying to read the book together - because you know what the other person is "working on", it's tempting to be critical.) I think it would work much better if the other person wasn't aware that you were reading it. (The movie is great, too, if you can get past the occasionally cheesy acting.) <strong>FI has The Love Dare Day by Day: A Year of Devotions for Couples. Glancing through it, I feel it is a much better fit for a newly married couple than the original Love Dare. W e will go through that one together after we're married</strong>, and we plan to read through the entire Bible together by our first anniversary as well.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

We were given the year-long one as a wedding gift, and we started it in early November (after we got back from our honeymoon).  The daily readings are only one page long, so it is very manageable for a couple to do.  We usually read it right after breakfast and then pray together.  :-)
    "You're the L and the V, I'm the O and the E...Am I speaking clearly?"
  • edited December 2011
    NA: It's called Devotions for Dating Couples by Ben Young and Dr. Samuel Adams. There are 9 weeks (so far we have done Love, Grace, Prayer and just began The Word). You do it by yourself Monday through Friday. On Saturday, you discuss the week's devotions with your fiance (there are questions to guide discussion). Then on Sunday, you are encouraged to go to church with your fiance and take notes on the sermon and then discuss. So far, we really like it. It has brought us closer to God and each other. 
  • NA_Adam11NA_Adam11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks, ill have to find it. You would really think that more pre marriage devotionals were around but there really isn't. We tried one devotional thinking that we could just change it a little bit for us and that didnt work at all. it was for married couples that had kids and all sorts of stuff.  I'm really looking forward to getting this one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_love-dare-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d852e517-6913-40e2-96c3-6eeacb1492a1Post:23d18df0-372e-4775-a5fb-c7a09683868a">Re: The Love Dare</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I heard the book is wonderful! <strong>My fiance and I definitely plan on reading it after we get married.</strong> I heard <strong>The 5 Love Languages is good</strong>, too (I don't think it's a devotional though, but I heard it's good).  My fiance and I are reading/doing <strong>Devotions for Dating Couples</strong> now (it is for couples who are very seriously considering marriage or are already engaged). We are just about to begin week 4 and it is awesome! It helps to strengthen your individual relationship with God which will help to strengthen your relationship with your fiance and prepare you for a loving, strong, Christ-centered marriage. If you and your fiance are looking for a devotional to do before your Big Day, I recommend this one. 
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]

Everything you said, AshNoel.
    To the OP, A few weeks ago, (or months, idk...time flies) I wrote a post concerning devotionals and many posted that Devotions for Dating Couples is good. We are currently going through that book and we are so happy we are! Also, the 5 Love Languages is good. We plan on reading that sometime. Finally, we bought the Love Dare, hearing that it's wonderful, but have decided to start that either closer to the day (after Devotions for Dating Couples) or after we are married.
  • edited December 2011
    NA- If you are planning on getting Devotions for Dating Couples, you may have to order it online. I looked at the Christian book store, Borders and Barnes and Noble and none of them had it in stock. I ordered mine from Amazon. 

dordtgrl- I remember that post about devotionals, that's where I got the idea for Devotions for Dating Couples. Thanks! 
  • edited December 2011
    I think my pastor is going to have a book for us to read as a couple, and my FI is in a masters program (and working full time) so I don't want to ask too much of him.  We might just wait on reading the love dare ... There are a few other good ones, and we looked at "The 5 Love Languages" and may end up getting that one to read in the meantime. 
  • danielle0704danielle0704 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i saw "devotions for dating couples" online (i think) but i think we're going to have to check it out, after what i'm reading on here!
  • edited December 2011
    Devotions for dating couples is a great book. FI and I read it before we became engaged and it definitely strengthened our relationship. I have not read the Love Dare or watched Fireproof.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards