July 2012 Weddings

When should I start booking vendors and dress shopping?

July 20, 2012 still seems so far away!!  I am obvi a summer bride so I was thinking I will start dress shopping maybe in March or April?  Is that usually when all of the summer dresses come out? 

Also when is a good time to start booking a dj and photographer?  Do you think booking in March or April would be good for that?  Once we find someone I will want to make sure that they have our date available! 

Also, what about the officiant?  We are getting married at the same place as our reception so I will need to hire someone to marry us.  I got a couple of references from my local board.  Should I book them far out too?
Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: When should I start booking vendors and dress shopping?

• I would start booking earlier the better that way you're guarenteed all the vendors you want!  I would be disappointed if I couldn't have my date because I waited too long...Summer weddings are more popular and fill up quicker.

You can wait until next summer or fall to book your baker and your florist.  I would book the venues, dj, and photog soon.  (for reasons above)

As for your dress, you can wait until next spring/summer to start looking.  I would order by October of 2011 because it normally takes 6months to order a dress and have time for alterations and such.  I am waiting until next summer to look and buy my dress.

Bridesmaid dresses normally take a couple months to order depending on where you purchase them.  I highly suggest waiting to ask your bridal party until next summer because A LOT can happen in 2 years...
  • Thanks for the input!  We booked our venue about a month ago so that is a big check off the list.  I think then in Feb I am going to try and book DJ and photog.  I have not decided if I think its worth the money to have a videographer. 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yeah, we thought about the videographer and we decided we'd rather put the money elsewhere
  • My sister's wedding was last summer and she said one of her biggest regrets was not having a videographer.

I don't think it's worth $1500+ for a videographer (like it is around my area), by any means... but a friend with a home video camera would even be suitable. It's not necessary to have a professional video done because you're not going to charge people to see it in a theater.. (unless you're into that sort of thing, of course).

If that person doesn't want to stand and video it; you can set up a tripod.. chances are, if it's out of the way and on a wide angle, you will get everything you want to see in one frame without having to move it at all. This would be best if you weren't concerned about having a video made anyway. :)

(Just thought I'd add a few final words before you made your decisions ;-)  )
  • We decided to go with a videographer because pictures do not capture everything.  I want to hear his voice saying vows thirty years after our wedding, I will be able too!
  • My wedding is a week after yours (july 28, 2012) and I already have a Venue, DJ, My Dress, the ceremony site and officiant(I am having it at a church), and we are currently looking for a photographer. In my opinion the more you have done now the less you have to do next year and you can sort of relax (even though I firmly believe there is no relaxation during wedding planning :) )

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards