Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Reception question-Springwood

Hello fellow brides-to-be!  Has anyone checked out Springwood Conference Center for a reception?  My wedding won't be for a bit so I am not in any hurry to get out there to speak to anyone and they will not provide any ideas about pricing/packages without visiting.

I just want a ballpark idea about cost for a simple outdoor ceremony/reception there.  I will have 80 people.  I want the worst case scenario to see if it is even close to my price range.  If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated!

p.s.-I am looking for the cost of rental, food, cake-cutting, serving, valet services, etc.

Thank you ahead of time!!!

Re: Reception question-Springwood

• edited December 2011
    What's your budget? I don't know any details, but I hear it is really expensive. The ladies on this board don't look favorably on that venue, but hopefully someone else will pop on with more info/experience to share.
  • edited December 2011
    When I looked at them in 2008 for my 2009 wedding, they were out of my price range.  Back then their starting package was over $110 per person, which was definitely over my budget for food and drink, and that initial package did not give us nearly anything that we wanted.  I don't know what their current prices are.  

I also did not like the fact that they would not give you any pricing information over the phone.  Since I was an OOT bride, they ended up completely wasting my time in Pittsburgh, which was limited.
  • edited December 2011
    My budget for the reception only I would like to keep around $10,000 including food, drinks, etc.  I basically want to know if I can get everything there around $10,000.  Ideally, this would include: hors d'oeuvres, served dinner, open bar, table linens, china, barware, silverware, etc., cake cutting and serving, valet, basically everything.

Any other suggestions for a nice place for all this around $10,000 for about 80 people?
  • edited December 2011
    We went to look at Springwood and really liked it, but it was way out of our price range. For the lowest package she quoted us at around $17,000 that included food, liquor service (I believe it is BYOB), the ceremony space, a centerpiece that was just a rose in a skinny vase with baby's breath.... very very simple (you pay to upgrade), and maybe the cake- not sure. The next packagewas about $20,0000, I also think these included taxes. I think I threw out my brochure, but I'll see if I can find it.

Hope that helps!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh! Mine was for 100 people.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    We just booked with the Twentieth Century Club. I describe it as my garden wedding inside. It is within your price range.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Er&JerLemEr&JerLem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Springwood is gorgeous but $$$$ - plus I've heard bad reviews about it - mostly in working with the owners. 

Have you checked Phipps?  I'm not sure what they're reception prices are like, but it is beautiful.
  • edited December 2011
    In 2008, I was able to get prices over the phone and was told $140 per person for a very simple wedding.

I didn't even visit because it was out of my range. Also, they were booked months in advance, so it wasn't going to work for me.

I had my reception at Heinz Field for your budget., but I had 140 people. There are a ton of great sites you can fit in your budget. Check out my planning bio under vendors for a list of places I considered. There also should be a budget venue document in my planning bio as well. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Like everyone else said, its beautiful but very expensive. Springwood was the first place my MOH/bff looked when she first got engaged in 2009. She called me after and asked if $130/pp was a good price. I couldn't believe it was that expensive!
  • amn2152amn2152 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is expensive, It was originally my first choice and I was going to have a friday wedding and heavy cocktail reception and it still would have been atleast $85 a person. It is BYOB, cake is not included, no corkage fees, no cake serving fees. centerpieces from them are basic unlees you do their upgrades. Same with linens and such. But the place is gorgeous. I know a friend of mine had their wedding there and said as long as you are dealing With Lelia everything runs smoothly. I met with her and she was nice. But again, $$$$
  • edited December 2011

Thank you all for your responses!  Apparently I just have expensive taste since I would love the Grand Hall at The Priory or the Pennsylvanian, but I don't think I would be able to do any of them as sit-down dinners. 

I'll check out the other suggestions.  If you have any more, please keep them coming!

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, I think we have similar tastes, and a less expensive option I considered was Soldiers and Sailors.  I also loved the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, although it ended up being too small for my group, but I'm not sure where that falls on the affordability scale.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    Springwood is a complete waste of time.  The owner won't give you a quote on the phone.  After going into the home, I thought it needed a complete over haul.  It was so outdated in decor.  If she wants that much money for her place, she should definitely contact an interior decorator and redo the entire home.  The bathrooms are from the 1950's & nothing cooridinates.  Tacky leather sofa's combined with floral cloth chairs.  After seeing the grounds, the reception room, and dance tent, we almost were willing to have it there.  The menu was somewhat reasonable at a starting price of $55/plate with BYOB.  Then she hits you with the price of the rental for her home.  Starting at around $8700 and going up to $12,000+.  What a joke!!!  Why doesn't she tell people that from the beginning instead of wasting their time?  She could have told me that on the phone and I wouldn't have wasted my day driving there.  I found her to be very unfriendly and arrogant.  If I save one bride from wasting their time going there then I'm happy.  We actually booked at the LeMont on Mt. Washington and it will be cheaper eating filet mignon & crab cakes and having a beautiful breathtaking view of the city for a cheaper price.  At the LeMont, the service and friendlness of the staff and management made my decision easy.  Take my advise, don't go to Springwood! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards