Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

white gold ring - cleaning & re-dipping

I've had my white gold e-ring for 4 months now. I seem to remember reading that you should have it cleaned twice a year... is that correct? And how often do you have it re-dipped (not sure if that's the right term)?

I can tell it needs both of these things - it's not quite as sparkly and there are some scratches in the gold. I'm lazy though, since the jewelry store where FH got it is a good 40 minute drive away!

Tongue out
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: white gold ring - cleaning & re-dipping

• Options
    The jewelry stores recommend every 6 months to year, just depending on how much it needs it.  A good cleaning will do wonders though.  If you've only had it 4 months, I wouldn't get it dipped yet but I would take it in and have them clean it.  Any jewelry store will do it for you while you wait and look around, it only takes a couple of minutes.

I had my e-ring dipped after one year.  Now it's been a year and 3 months and both my e-ring and wedding band need it, I'm just too lazy to go have it done.  I'll probably do it this month though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've had mine just over a year, it's been re dipped once, and needs it again. I can see my white gold ring needing to be re dipped every 6 months, but I will probably do it once a year. Cleaning will be every 6 weeks. Check your contract if you have it insured, there should be something stating you needing to get it cleaned/inspected to make sure all settings are good to go. I know with mine if I don't get it checked once a year, the insurance won't hold up if I lose a diamond or something.
  • Options
    I have a white gold ring, I clean it whenever I want either with the solution they gave me at the store, or I take it to the store and get it power cleaned.  There's no limit.

I haven't had mine redipped yet and I've had it for a year and a half.  It really needs to be done and I'll do it before the wedding.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I just got my ering dipped after a year.  They cleaned it as well.

I clean it at home about once a week with the red jar of cleaner stuff.  I've heard that getting it professionally cleaned too much isn't a good thing, but I'm not sure how true it is.  It kinda makes sense, though.

I don't think my mom ever cleaned her rings or had them redipped.  She said that occasionally she'd clean it with some ammonia, lol.  She's so low maintenance.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm thinking about having it cleaned this weekend... I know I want it cleaned and dipped right before the wedding in September, so maybe I'll wait until then to get it dipped the first time. I'm bad, I never clean my ring at home!
  • Options
    I have mine cleaned and re-dipped every 6 months. Takes all of 2 minutes, and I can tell (and hate) when the gold has started to turn yellow.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Kristin, the dipping takes 2 minutes?  When my jeweler did it in store they kept the ring 24 hours, and now that they don't do it in the store anymore, it takes 7-10 business days.
  • Options
    Like Dani, I was told it would take a week or two Frown
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-gold-ring-cleaning-re-dipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d42363ad-1240-4f3f-82fa-380fe6252bf2Post:733cf8b8-3c8e-41d3-846d-25a3dec7f32e">Re: white gold ring - cleaning & re-dipping</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kristin, the dipping takes 2 minutes?  When my jeweler did it in store they kept the ring 24 hours, and now that they don't do it in the store anymore, it takes 7-10 business days.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Our jewelery store does it right there while we are waiting. Is your ring from a chain jeweler? I believe they send it out to have done.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    It's not a national chain, but I think it's a local chain.  They clean it while we wait, but not the dipping. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_white-gold-ring-cleaning-re-dipping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d42363ad-1240-4f3f-82fa-380fe6252bf2Post:487b6570-948a-4e88-8909-26a5f9068b8a">Re: white gold ring - cleaning & re-dipping</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got my ering dipped after a year.  They cleaned it as well. I clean it at home about once a week with the red jar of cleaner stuff.  I've heard that getting it professionally cleaned too much isn't a good thing, but I'm not sure how true it is.  It kinda makes sense, though. I don't think my mom ever cleaned her rings or had them redipped.  She said that occasionally she'd clean it with some ammonia, lol.  She's so low maintenance.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Someone on another board mentioned that her jeweler said if you get them re-dipped too often, it wears away at the gold, since a tiny layer of gold is stripped off when they do it.

My mom never had her's dipped, either, but it was a little yellow-ish. I have a 10k white gold glass ring from high school which looked good for about a year, then started to get a yellowish cast.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I wonder if the dippng process is different if it is done quickly in the store or if they send it away - maybe it is more permanent? Mine does seem to need to be re-dipped every 6 months, maybe it isn't as good.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was asked to bring my ring in every 6 months for it to be inspected (the stones) and cleaned. They've both been cleaned once (rings were purchased together in April, and I took them in just after the wedding, in October).

The engagement ring is a little more scratched than the wedding ring, but there are some scratches on the wedding ring from the Ering. 

Neither needs to be redipped at this point, and show no signs of yellowing. 

They can be both redipped and resized in the store, within a couple of hours (sizing), overnight at most depending on the time of day and their workload.  I REALLY liked that about this store.  It is a chain (Jared), but their store is a little separate from the mall which supposedly also allows them to use the tools necessary to do the work in house.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I think my jeweler called it re-plating and they recommended it every year.  They did it for free when we picked up my band (the yellow was showing through on my engagement ring).  I think that white gold is naturally a little yellow and the re-plating is to put a thin layer of another metal over the white gold.  My jewelry store has jewelers onsite to do the work so they can do it in a matter of a few hours.  I can see it taking longer if they have to send it out to be done.
  • Options
    Kristin - it can depend on your environment and skin chemistry - how fast the gold will yellow.

joesgirl - white gold is mixed with another, white metal to make it "white". It's really made from yellow gold, because gold only comes in one color in nature. They plate it with rhodium, usually, to keep it white.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I had never heard of redipping actually until a few months ago. I have to have it inspected and cleaned every 6 months for the warranty, but they never said anything about redipping.  However, when I took it in right before the wedding to have my wedding band attached, it came back much "whiter," so maybe they did it then and I didn't realize it? I had had it about a year and a half at that point.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    lawstudent1lawstudent1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    Does redipping hurt the diamonds????
     My ring is white gold with lots of little pave diamonds....II'm guessing the rhodium dip isn't supposed to get on the diamonds, which makes it seem like it would be impossible to get mine cleaned? I'm getting married in June, and the last time I tried my e-ring on with my band (also white gold) the e-ring was yellower than the band and needed to be dipped.
  • Options
    Mine gets cleaned every other month, and gets re-dipped twice a year per insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards