Snarky Brides

Ummmm hello?

Re: Ummmm hello?

• J&K - when I was living in the dorms I was always freaked out that someone would be behind me in the bathroom mirror. A few times the door to the bathroom closet would inexplicably open and it would freak us the hell out. Most of the people in our section had weird experiences. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • WTF TK. assholes. Anyway. hi. I'm sitting at PRAXIS. where I've been since 6:45 in the morning. Bah. I'm annoyed because I was given a 1 hour test the second session, which means less money. plus H is in a 2 hour so we came leave early either. lame. Anyway. I'm going to go waste time looking at those links you posted. I love that urban decay stuff. its so fascinating.
  • Celtic, my dorm in college was haunted.  We all had some weird experiences.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I love abandoned hospitals, especially if there's a bunch of stuff left behind (wheelchairs, operating tables, instruments). It always looks like everyone just disappeared, especially when you see a wheelchair sitting in the middle of a hallway.

The best by far was a photoshoot of an abandoned psychiatric hospital somewhere in Russia. The toothbrush holders in the bathrooms still had old, decaying toothbrushes in them, and the magazine holders were still full of crumbling magazines and newspapers. I wish I could find it again; it was linked to an LJ "Urban Decay" community, back when LJ was actually popular.
  • That sounds positively creepy, eirwyn. 

• We have this really cool, old abandoned train bridge in a town I have a client in.  It's really cool up close because there's a bunch of graffitti and stuff.

• Come back, dudes!  I killed the thread.

• edited April 2012
    Morning! We are about ready to head out on a fridge search. I don't like having to buy big things spur of the moment- I would much rather have time to find a deal/good buy. But what are you gonna do, it's got to be done. 

I have seen a few shows of The World After People or something like that. Kind of reminds me of I am Legend. It fascinates me.

ETA: I guess it is called "Life After People"
  • You did J... it's all your fault.
  • I'm a murderer.

• What happened to your fridge, Kate?

• We are 90% sure the condenser went out yesterday, it stopped cooling the fridge/freezer.. And those are pricier to fix and you are supposed to have a pro fix it for you- so.... it makes sense for us to get a new one instead of putting a lot of money into an old one. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:531773f8-3960-4cb3-b267-56bfca23bd24">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That sounds positively creepy, eirwyn. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    It was. It reminded me of an abandoned orphanage in the town where I went to school. When we explored it, we found dolls and toys in the bedrooms and chalk and erasers in the classroom. It was super creepy.

I could talk about this stuff for hours. I keep editing my posts so they aren't novels.
  • Yeah, all the appliances in the new house are original to the house, so they're about 9 years old.  We're already cringing in anticipation of having to replace them all.  We're going to try to do it one at a time before they all suddenly croak at the same time.  Because something like that WOULD happen to us. 

Do you have something in mind?  Side by side?  Stainless steel?  My parents totally had an avocado colored fridge for the longest time.  Ha!  Oh, the 70s.

• I just woke up. And there was an earthquake that I didn't feel at all. Funny thing is Dot brought them up earlier this week. It wasn't a big one.
  • Kate,
    Good luck on the fridge search.  Try a Sears Hardware and Appliance last.  We bought a washer, dryer, and fridge a couple of years ago and they had the best price matching policy.  We went to a few places and found what we liked, looked them all up online and found the best prices, and then went to Sears Hardware & Appliance (not a mall store, a hardware & appliance one) and they price matched the lowest prices we'd found on all 3 pieces.  H picked them up the next day, so we didn't have to pay delivery either.  Good luck!
  • SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    Good morning! 

We're getting ready to head out to Men's Warehouse because H needs some new work clothes. They are kind of expensive, but I don't mind because H looks SO good in their clothes.

My jaw still hurts like hell, but I took some of my prescription painkiller, so I should feel better in a bit. I just miss real food. I had a slice of pizza last night, but I had to cut it into tiny pieces and chew with my front teeth. It was weird. I'd do it again for real food though. I'm so sick of pudding already.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:7e9ad2a6-eded-44be-be39-c535f1648965">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are 90% sure the condenser went out yesterday, it stopped cooling the fridge/freezer.. And those are pricier to fix and you are supposed to have a pro fix it for you- so.... it makes sense for us to get a new one instead of putting a lot of money into an old one. 
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

<div>Yay new fridge! Boo because I know they are expensive, but it will be all shiny and new!</div>
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:0d91727e-f6b6-47ef-8370-231f99014220">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love abandoned hospitals, especially if there's a bunch of stuff left behind (wheelchairs, operating tables, instruments). It always looks like everyone just disappeared, especially when you see a wheelchair sitting in the middle of a hallway. The best by far was a photoshoot of an abandoned psychiatric hospital somewhere in Russia. The toothbrush holders in the bathrooms still had old, decaying toothbrushes in them, and the magazine holders were still full of crumbling magazines and newspapers. I wish I could find it again; it was linked to an LJ "Urban Decay" community, back when LJ was actually popular.
    Posted by eirwyn[/QUOTE]

<div>I would love to do that, but I don't think I would be able to sleep for a week afterwards.  There's a hospital in DC called Saint Elizabeth's.  Part of it has been abandoned, but they built a super fancy new building on the campus a couple of years ago.  It's so odd to see the shiny new part, then see the old abandoned part on the other side.  The hospital has an interesting history: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elizabeths_Hospital" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elizabeths_Hospital</a></div><div>
    </div><div>Abandoned part:</div><div> <a href="http://www.flickriver.com/places/United+States/District+of+Columbia/Washington/St+Elizabeths+Hospital/" rel="nofollow">http://www.flickriver.com/places/United+States/District+of+Columbia/Washington/St+Elizabeths+Hospital/</a></div><div>
    </div><div>New building (best I could find): <a href="http://www.stelizabethshospitalresidency.org/" rel="nofollow">http://www.stelizabethshospitalresidency.org/</a></div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • eirwyneirwyn member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:729a6862-7e45-4fd7-b19d-a3d1d4e13245">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Links
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]
    Those pictures on FlickRiver are *awesome*. I can't wait to look at them (plus the other links) during my lunch break. I looked at 30-40 pictures and then realized there are close to 400. :-P
  • Celtic- I don't know if you're still here but that's so awesome you went to college there! First of all, St. Augustine is amazing. My friend and I went when I came down to look at housing and we asked one of the shop owners about the huge building in the middle of the town. She had gone to college there and told us about it. So cool.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • You guys should read "Creepers" by David Morrell. It's about today's "urban explorers," or creepers. They go into abandoned places and explore them (totally illegal, these are places that have been sealed up, so they are breaking in). They don't take anything, but just enjoy the history of the place. That book made me want to to explore every closed-up building I pass.

When my uncle got married years ago, it was at this really old church. My stepsis and I went exploring during the rehearsal. The place was huge and creepy. One room had a bunch of furniture in it and one chair had a plaque that basically read the name and stated that the woman died in it. So, I sat in it and my stepsis was convinced I would now be possessed by the woman's spirit.

Then we went to the third story and it was dead silent. At the end of the hall was a door, and naturally, we wanted to know what was behind it. So we opened it and there were like 10 old dudes in white sitting around a long table with candles everywhere. Creepiest damn thing I ever saw. No clue what they were doing, and they didn't say anything, just stared at us, so we backed out and ran back to the wedding party.
  • Sesh- Churches, even in daylight with numerous people, freak me out. I would have so scared if I were you. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:ff67f77b-1a5a-45bc-9c1e-4d60424be865">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys should read "Creepers" by David Morrell. It's about today's "urban explorers," or creepers. They go into abandoned places and explore them (totally illegal, these are places that have been sealed up, so they are breaking in). They don't take anything, but just enjoy the history of the place. That book made me want to to explore every closed-up building I pass. When my uncle got married years ago, it was at this really old church. My stepsis and I went exploring during the rehearsal. The place was huge and creepy. One room had a bunch of furniture in it and one chair had a plaque that basically read the name and stated that the woman died in it. So, I sat in it and my stepsis was convinced I would now be possessed by the woman's spirit. Then we went to the third story and it was dead silent.<strong> At the end of the hall was a door, and naturally, we wanted to know what was behind it. So we opened it and there were like 10 old dudes in white sitting around a long table with candles everywhere</strong>. Creepiest damn thing I ever saw. No clue what they were doing, and they didn't say anything, just stared at us, so we backed out and ran back to the wedding party.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    Gaah thats creepy!!
  • Hike - I loved living in St. Augustine. We were there right after Christmas and it was my first time showing FH around. 

Just this morning he told me he'd been looking at apatments there. I have agreed to move somewhere warmer next year and  he seems to know it's the only area of Florida I'd consider returning to. He'd need to find me a "real" job there first so I know it's not happening. 

The college itself is amazing and I never became immune to the beauty of it. Imagine walking through this every day:

• so how come they closed down the ballroom to begin with>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I assume because to get to it you need to enter the area that is the girls dorms. It's probably a mix of security concerns and uptightness. Flagler has a rule against "interdorm visitation" so no guys are allowed in that area. I'm not sure how they'll work it if they do reopen it. 
  • Woot! We have a new stainless steel fridge coming on Monday!! It might look a little dumb because all of our other appliances are still white, but whatever. We did go to Sears Appliances and pick one out- probably took about 15 minutes total in the store. 

J- Yeah the house/appliances are now around 11 years old, so we just did the water heater last year, the garage door opener coils the year before, and I have fixed a couple things myself on the washer, and air unit. I hope yours last a while still!! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:754a1d88-613e-4556-9371-a06a7b0b4b84">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Woot! We have a new stainless steel fridge coming on Monday!! It might look a little dumb because all of our other appliances are still white, but whatever. We did go to Sears Appliances and pick one out- probably took about 15 minutes total in the store.  J- Yeah the house/appliances are now around 11 years old, so we just did the water heater last year, the garage door opener coils the year before, and I have fixed a couple things myself on the washer, and air unit. I hope yours last a while still!! 
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

We have a stainless steel fridge and white appliances as well. We havent gotten around to changing anything out. I really dont notice much.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ummmm-hello?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:856082b7-55aa-4e31-8815-38f5049947daPost:ed1184f6-ba29-42e8-8ee9-6e1af9dd9a4a">Re: Ummmm hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't see them either.  I was actually going to page you because of that abandoned places thread last night. There is a town in PA, right next to my friends town, that has been abandoned by all people except like 8 or 9. An underground coal mine caught on fire in the 60's and they could never put it out. Now the town is basically empty and the government took it over. There is smoke still coming from the ground and cracks in the road because the mine is still on fire. The people who stay say they think it's a government conspiracy.  Here's a link. It's crazy <a href="http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm</a>
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

HAHA!  Centralia!  We've driven through there.  It's a small 10 detour when going to Knoebles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards