Offbeat Weddings

Doctor Who Reception

I was thinking of having a Doctor Who reception after my wedding in 2015. My man got me into it and now I want to make his... Well now OUR dream happen. I got fezes for the table numbers. Red fezes for eleven, blue drinks, and a TARDIS. I'm debating making a K9 card holder. Ideas?
In love since July 2010 with the man of my geeky dreams. I want to marry him by 2015. Ooooh weeee oooooh....

Re: Doctor Who Reception

• Those sound like such fun ideas!

Your cake is a really easy way to bring a theme into the reception :)
  • You could have you FI change his tie for a bowtye for the reception too.
  • edited November 2012
    What an awesome and fun theme! I never get tired of Doctor Who weddings and everyone's always seem like a blast. 

Ideas:

- ThinkGeek.com sells Sonic Screwdrivers which could be fun props for the wedding photos 
    - Alcoholic drink: Sonic Screwdrivers :P
    - The Invitations could go out in blue envelopes covered in stamps and with a number on the back (think Season 6) 
    click me  sorry it links to a photobucket; very hard to find an image of the stamps
    - Save the Dates could be blue postcards with just the longitude & latitude, time and date of the reception 
    - You could use roses in your floral arrangements if they're not too pricey
    - Your guest book could be designed to look like River's journal; I think they sell a similar one on thinkgeek as well
    - If you are having a bridal party then bowties or scarves could be utilized  
    - Food referenced on the show: jelly babies, bananas (you always want to bring a banana to a party), fish & custard, and  I think one of the older doctors had something with celery

I think a K9 card holder would be equally fabulous. 

Good luck with your wedding!

• Thank you for all the ideas! I need more on the food front though. Lol. I live near a place that sells jelly babies.
    In love since July 2010 with the man of my geeky dreams. I want to marry him by 2015. Ooooh weeee oooooh....
  • edited November 2012
    It doesn't necessarily have to be food from the show since I'm sure that'll be pretty few and far between but why not look into British or Scottish food? Not sure how formal your wedding will be so I"m sure some of the suggestions might not work for you:

Fish& Chips
    Bangers & Mash
    Shepherds Pie
    Sunday Roast with roasted potatoes, veggies and Yorkshire Puddings (My mom was born and raised in London and would make this every Sunday for us)

Here are some links that might be useful for ideas:

Good luck!

• In Response to Re:Doctor Who Reception:[QUOTE]It doesn't necessarily have to be food from the show since I'm sure that'll be pretty few and far between but why not look into British or Scottish food? Not sure how formal your wedding will be so I"m sure some of the suggestions might not work for you:Fishamp; ChipsBangers amp; MashShepherds PieSunday Roast with roasted potatoes, veggies and Yorkshire Puddings My mom was born and raised in London and would make this every Sunday for usHere are some links that might be useful for ideas:click meclick meclick meclick meGood luck! Posted by FluffyGumDrop2[/QUOTE]Those sound great. I'm a sucker for fish and chips because there's a really good place I went to that was British staff and all.
  • Are you having someone announce you and your wedding party at the beginning of the reception?  I think the theme song would work really well for this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_doctor-who-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:194ab262-b130-48fe-9c79-5d284880baaePost:ed534bc2-26de-4721-989b-cebfd165309f">Re: Doctor Who Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having someone announce you and your wedding party at the beginning of the reception?  I think the theme song would work really well for this.
    Posted by kerlan1[/QUOTE]
    Heehee. Sounds like fun. Wasn't thinking that. XD
  • You need a TARDIS! I've been looking into renting one but we're getting married in Scotland.
    My wedding is coming up quickly so I'm in a rush trying to figure it all out.

In addition to the police box for photo ops I've also considered outfitting everyone in the 10th doctors 3D glasses, renting a dalek, and incorporating other props such as the sonic, scarf etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_doctor-who-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:194ab262-b130-48fe-9c79-5d284880baaePost:0327820b-fd93-4bde-9ccc-13794d283dd5">Re: Doctor Who Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]You need a TARDIS! I've been looking into renting one but we're getting married in Scotland. My wedding is coming up quickly so I'm in a rush trying to figure it all out. In addition to the police box for photo ops I've also considered outfitting everyone in the 10th doctors 3D glasses, renting a dalek, and incorporating other props such as the sonic, scarf etc.
    Posted by Charity8272[/QUOTE]
    I know Seattle has a great following of Whovians and my mother works with some. The 3D Glasses work great! I just remembered I needed a TARDIS to be there due to photos. XD
  • Amazing!! I bet you could find a lot of cool things on Etsy to match your theme.

My fiance would LOVE this. I'm not a Doctor Who fan myself (in my defence I have yet to watch it with him, and haven't for years) but I play into his love for it any chance I get.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm new to this board, but I had to say I LOVE your ideas!!!  What a fun wedding. :)

image image

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  
    <3 Lots o' love to my Labor Buddies mommynpink & alliebooberz <3

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I *really* love Pinterest!

• Update: I just got a TARDIS mini holder from the Yatzee version of it I got for my Xmas gift. That could hold wedding candy or be on our bride/groom table. Also my mom got me 10's sonic screwdriver. Wedding prop! :
  • have your FI wear chucks

There are some really awesome Doctor who garters on etsy

depending on how many people you want to invite, you could do table numbers with something to do with that doctor's incarnation on it.

a prop like this perhaps

I've seen some really cool dalek cake toppers

Make sure your dress has pockets.

Tie a tardis key to your bouquet

There are also a plethora of Doctor Who cufflinks on etsy

clicky
    clicky
    clicky
  • OH OH OH!!!

your favors could have a tag like "Thanks 'Ood'dles for sharing this day with us!"
  • Write Bad Wolf in dry erase marker on the bathroom mirrors
  • Thanks for the ideas! I wrote them down to remember. Now any idea where I can find custom paper streamers? The 4th doctors scarf works.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_doctor-who-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:194ab262-b130-48fe-9c79-5d284880baaePost:0327820b-fd93-4bde-9ccc-13794d283dd5">Re: Doctor Who Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]You need a TARDIS! I've been looking into renting one but we're getting married in Scotland. My wedding is coming up quickly so I'm in a rush trying to figure it all out. In addition to the police box for photo ops I've also considered outfitting everyone in the 10th doctors 3D glasses, renting a dalek, and incorporating other props such as the sonic, scarf etc.
    Posted by Charity8272[/QUOTE]It costs about $6k + to rent a TARDIS... :o
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards