Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Just a question

I know that we are not going to have a lot if money for our wedding seeing as we will be paying for it all our selfs, so I got this idea in my head that maybe we can just have no ceremony and have a big reception instead. I would rather get a wedding license in a court house and celebrate with my friends and family after. Is this a crazy idea? Would I offend my family? Do you think Id regret it later?

Re: Just a question

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_just-a-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3728597-fc17-4754-813c-6970e4928cafPost:de9816a6-aa09-45dd-9f8d-1bf091fbd281">Just a question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that we are not going to have a lot if money for our wedding seeing as we will be paying for it all our selfs, so I got this idea in my head that maybe we can just have no ceremony and have a big reception instead. I would rather get a wedding license in a court house and celebrate with my friends and family after. Is this a crazy idea? Would I offend my family? Do you think Id regret it later?
    Posted by aliceCa[/QUOTE]
    If your concern is money, that makes no sense.  It's the wedding reception that costs the big money, not the reception.

• Yeah, the actual ceremony part is generally the cheapest part of a wedding. The reception takes up the bulk of your budget. I suppose you could save a little money doing a ceremony and then a bigger party, but really you'd save more money if you just had a small wedding all around (small guest list, non-meal time wedding? Backyard BBQ? reception in a park?)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013

Is your wedding really in 2015?!?!

If so, you and your FI should be having talks about saving money and if you want to get dressed up in wedding attire/have guests at your ceremony versus getting advice from strangers on an online forum.

Over two years is a LONG time to save money. Plenty of brides have had great weddings and receptions that properly host guests for $5,000 and much less.

Consider doing a brunch/lunch reception, or cake and punch at a non-meal time.

A courthouse wedding is perfectly fine if that's the route you and FI choose, but you shouldn't be asking guests to foot any of the bill at the "party" afterwards (i.e. paying for their own meals, bringing dishes to pass, cash bars, etc).

• Like PP said, the reception is the part that costs the most money. The ceremony is the less costly part. If your concerned about money, have a courthouse wedding and consider a small restaurant-type of a reception to celebrate with close family afterwards. Consider something at home, if money is really tight. A wedding doesnt necessarily mean you MUST have a huge party-do what fits you and your FH style and budget. If a backyard bbq with family & an ice bucket full of beer suits your style, then celebrate your new union that way. Ultimately it's your choice how you want to celebrate your marriage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is completely backwards. the reception is what is most expensive.

If you are looking to cut your budget, there are plenty of ways to do that. But the ceremonty isnt going to make th  biggest impact in terms of dollars. Cut your guest list, flowers, favors, programs, use an iPod etc. Now, those things actually save money.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lets say you are having a 5,000.00 wedding.  Here's generally how your costs would break down:

500.00 - Ceremony
    4,500.00 - Reception and Everything else

So yes, you'd save a fraction of money, but don't at all count on it being significant.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I agree with everyone else. Also, to save a little bit and for convenience you can consider having your ceremony and reception at the same place.
  • who cares if the wedding is in 2015. ive been engaged for 4 years and will prob get married then too. who gives a fart. if you want to put all your money into your reception go for it. thats one of the ideas we have had because of costs as well. idk what your situation is but since you are doing it yourself then do what you feel is right. you could always do the courthouse thing with just partents and siblings. add grandparents if you want. everyone else can do the reception afterwards. if your worried about food do a buffet style thing. we were thinking of roasting a pig. me and my fi are practical ppl and it fits our life styles as well as how we raise our kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards