Catholic Weddings

Roll Call?

I know we had some rough times around here last week, but the activity over the last couple of days has been nice.  I think it would be great to have a better idea who I am talking to.  We do this on my local board to figure out who's around, so I thought I would try it here (I tried to come up with a few Catholic-specific questions, but may have failed):

Name/FI or H's Name:
Ages:
Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?):
Where do you live?
Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?)
A bible passage your particularly like:
A hymn you particularly like:
Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic:
Something you find challenging about being Catholic:
Fun fact about yourself: 

ETA: Obviously, a few of the questions assume you are Catholic.  If you're not, feel free to add anything you like!

Re: Roll Call?

• edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:   Megan/Phil
    Ages: 26/32
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?):  August 13, 2011
    Where do you live? Me: Ann Arbor, MI.  FI: Chicago
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) We are getting married in Ann Arbor, at the parish I am a member of.
    A bible passage your particularly like: We are using Matthew 22:35-40 as our gospel reading, and it is one of my favorites.
    A hymn you particularly like: You are Mine.  It really restored my faith when I was having a hard time in my life. 
    I love being part of such a large community of people with such strong values.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic:  I struggle with the role of women in the church.  Because I don't make many gender-based distinctions in my personal/non-religious life, I have a hard time with some of the gender limitations in the church.
    Fun fact about yourself:  I can touch my tongue to my nose.
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like to put too much up in case somehow someone I may complain about is posting here.  I know, paranoid.

April 30th, 2011 is our date.  It is the first date post Easter.  Summer is a no go at our church because there isn't air conditioning and I love the idea of having Easter flowers for the wedding.

We are members of St. Gabe's parish.  His parents were married there, his grandparents were married there and we attend church there.

Really specific but one of my favorites is Mark 12:17. 

Here I Am, Lord is my favorite.  That and Gentle Woman but I cry everytime I hear it so that is a no go for the gifts for the Blessed Mother.

I love being Catholic because our church has such a strong history of social justice and charity.

The role of women in the church is something I also struggle with.  Especially now with the appointment of Benedict and the church focusing on returning to pre John Paul.

Fun Fact: I'm a natural redhead.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: I'm a little paranoid about internet safety. My profile says Ash & Ed, so we'll go with that.

Ages: Both 29

Wedding Date
    (any signifcance to the date?): July 9 -- it worked for us, but it has the cool feature of being 07.09.11 (consecutive odd numbers)

Where do you live? Phoenix

Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) The parish where I was received into the Church, where we met and where we are active members

A bible passage your particularly like: Matthew 25:31-46. It is a passage that has deep meaning in my life, both because of its message and because of ways that God has used it to work in my life.

A hymn you particularly like: Ode to Joy, with lyrics. It is literally my favorite song. Ever. We will be using it for the recessional. I'm very passionate about this. My fi thinks I'm a bit crazy.

Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I love being Catholic. I love being in communion with people throughout the world and throughout time. I love the timelessness of the liturgy and the chruch. I love Tradition and tradition alike. I love the ritual. I love the ways that every day I'm challenged to live my faith more deeply in one way or another.

Something you find challenging about being Catholic: Being counter-cultural and constantly having to defend my faith in a socity that doesn't accept the radical call of christianity.

Fun fact about yourself: I'm addicted to the Food Network and other food shows.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Names: Melissa & Mike

Ages: I am 28, H is 29

Wedding date: June 19, 2010. Not really a significance to the date, but we chose it for practically purposes with some other family events that were happening around the same time.

Where do you live?  Augusta, GA. But we will be moving back to our homestate of Ohio within the next few months (whoo - can't wait!)

Where did we get married:  We were married at St. Patrick's Catholic Church. It was H's church and it was where our relationship came together, so we decided to get married there rather than in the church in which I went through RCIA.

A Bible passage you love:  1 Corinthinans 12:31 (we used it for our wedding)

A hymn you like:  Rejoice and be glad for your reward will be great in Heaven.

What I like about being Catholic:  it gives me a sense of purpose and teaches me how to be a loving and caring person

Something challenging about being Catholic: well, living in the South and being Catholic is not a good combo when there are huge Baptist churches everywhere you turn. People here just assume you are Protestant and when you tell them you are Catholic, you get all kinds of weird looks and off the wall questions. For me, it just shows how ignorant a lot of people are about why we do the things we do and why we believe what we do.

Fun Fact:  Arnold Swarrenegger (sp?) came to my school when I was in third grade. I also love working with kids.

• doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Meg and Banana - we have a fair bit in common.

Name/FI or H's Name:  Lauren and Fred
    Ages:  Both 27
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?):  Just worked for us.  Silly Easter being so late this year!
    Where do you live?  Cleveland, Ohio
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?)  At my parents' parish (my former parish) in St. Louis, Missouri
    A bible passage your particularly like:  I have to admit I'm much more savvy with liturgical music than knowing the numbering of bible passages..... I of course am familiar with pretty much all of the bible - I just don't have numbering memorized, lol.  But our wedding gospel is the one about "A wise man built his house on rock".  Two of the key verses are "Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.  And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand."  Those verses show that how we carry out our lives as Catholics is actually more important than just listening to God's word.
    A hymn you particularly like:  Do I have to pick only one?  I like too many!  "We Are Called", "For the Life of the World", "Now in this Banquet", "We Are Many Parts", "God is Alive", I seriously could go on and one.  As a musician, music is how I feel closest to God, so asking for a favorite hymn is a loaded question to me :)
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic:  The fact that everyone finds strength in their faith.  It's so easy to get caught up in everyday life, and when things aren't going right, being at Church with the people who attend my Church is very calming to stress and such.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic:  I'm definitely on the progressive extreme of Catholicism, so I don't always agree with statements that the Church leadership throws out there.  Sometimes I feel like the Church is stepping its feet too far into politics (and I'm not looking to start another fight here, so please, no one go there today).  And I do also feel that some rules of the Church need to be modernized.
    Fun fact about yourself:  I (along with some of my friends) had an unhealthy obsession with X-Files in high school.  I even had an X-Files-themed 16th birthday party.  I have this giant bin full of X-Files-related stuff at my parents' house.  It's awesome to look back through all of it, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    Docta - we are a lot a like! In addition to the answers to the questions,  I have seen you refer a few times to finishing your PhD soon - I am hoping to defend in June or July, and am glad to see someone else who understands some of the combined craziness of a wedding and a dissertation!

Missy - you seem nice, but really?  Ohio State?  Smile  I'm a Michigan fan.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:   J and P (internet safety!)
    Ages:  33 (month to go till 34!) and 36
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): 2-21-2009 (it was the last saturday before Lent)
    Where do you live? Massachusetts
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?)  We got married at the church we attend as a couple.  It was not my church or his church, but "our" church.
    A bible passage your particularly like:  Can't of one.
    A hymn you particularly like:  Ave Maria
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: the fact that we have sacraments, and in particular, confession/penance.  i think it forces us to think about our sins and certainly holds us accountable.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic:  getting grief from the general public about how "awful" catholics are, and particularly  how so many think that all priests are pedophiles.
    Fun fact about yourself:  i can drive a golf ball 200 yards
  • lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:  Lisa & Jared
    Ages: 25 (26 next month) & 28
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): 8-6-2011...no significance is just worked
    Where do you live? Detroit, MI
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) St James...We are both members now but my uncle is the priest there so that's why we picked it.
    A bible passage your particularly like: I'm a huge fan of wedding at cana and I'm probably using that in our mass... I have no idea why, I've liked it since I was little.
    A hymn you particularly like: Morning has broken...my mom used to sing that all the time
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I liked growing up in a big Catholic family and how anyone Catholic kinda just understands each other.  I didn't really apprecaite this until I went to Catholic HS.  I was also happy to fall in love with a man that has the same Catholic upbringing as me!
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: With all the controversy around the church, It's been challenging.  Especially with my uncle being a priest.  A lot of people have misconceptions about the church too but it normally doesn't bother me.
    Fun fact about yourself:   My FI and I went to the same high school and college and we didn't even meet until my last semester of college.  My uncle also performed last rights on his grandmother in the hospital, and his uncles painted my mom's house when I was little.  Our lives are pretty intertwined!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:0ca52723-78ae-47a1-8235-a838d9bc3d9d">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Docta - we are a lot a like! In addition to the answers to the questions,  I have seen you refer a few times to finishing your PhD soon - I am hoping to defend in June or July, and am glad to see someone else who understands some of the combined craziness of a wedding and a dissertation! Missy - you seem nice, but really?  Ohio State?    I'm a Michigan fan.
    Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]

Yep, defending in June :).  Thank goodness I just signed on for a real job.  One more thing off the checklist, lol.  But I have to say I've been way more stressed about my dissertation and the job hunt than the wedding!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: Gwendolyn and B
    Ages: 27 and 29
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): June 25 2005.  It's the day after my parent's anniversary - but that was before they got divorced. :(  It was supposed to be June 19 which is a very significant date for our relationship, but the secretary at the church wrote down the wrong day and by the time we caught it, it was booked, :P
    Where do you live? River town, KY
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?)  We got married in "my" parish, the one in which I grew up and received all my sacraments.  H is a convert, though, so the church in which he gre up wasn't a considersation.
    A bible passage your particularly like: John 6, the Bread of Life Discourse.  I lived in the Deep South for almost ten years and that passage kept my faith - and my gratitude for being Catholic - strong.
    A hymn you particularly like:  I really like most Euicharistic hymns, O Lord I am Not Worthy and At That First Eucharist are some of my favorites.
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic:  I like that I get grace to overcome tendancy towards sin just by being a good wife.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic:  I have a hard time being charitable toward people who feel they have the right/ reason to bash my faith because they have a limited or just plain wrong understanding of it.
    Fun fact about yourself:  We just baptized our daughter in the church in which we were married!  It was an incredibly beautiful ceremony.  Our priest (in his own words) "pulled out all the stops" for us.  And he was so great, he even did the Churching of Women for me afterwards.

Also, I'm back on the knot because my best friend just got engaged!  I must say, the Catholic board was not this much fun six years ago.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:  Michelle and Ryan
    Ages: 33 and 37
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): 10-10-10 (H picked it so he wouldn't forget)
    Where do you live?
    the San Francisco Bay Area
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) we married in the parish I belonged to
    A bible passage your particularly like: Ruth 1:16-17
    A hymn you particularly like: "Here I Am, Lord"
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I like the familiar rituals.  I also love the Church's commitment to charity internationally.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: I think the US press is unfairly prejudiced against the Church, and, as a result, the average American has amazing misconceptions about us.
    Fun fact about yourself:   Both my father's and my medical diplomas were signed by movie stars that became California governors.
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: Laura/Bobby

Ages:
      25/29

Wedding Date: May 28, 2011 (any significance to the date?): It was open at our church, during the Easter season and not during the winter (hopefully)! 

Where do you live?  Minneapolis-ish, my fiance lives about an hour west of the Twin Cities

Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish
    (You/your parents/FI?)
      I am a member there

John 13 before the last supper when Jesus washed his disciples' feet.  A good reminder to me to serve with humility and love always! 

A hymn you particularly like:
      Oh God Beyond all Praising, Allegri's Miserere

The sacraments, its universality, community and steadfastness in the face of a culture to which it is often diametrically opposed

Something you find challenging about being Catholic: 
    Sharing the faith well and with love!  I get very angry and frustrated with people who bash the Church, its teachings and Christianity in general without any thorough understanding or using logical and sound arguments...  just tired, trite and cliche rhetoric that I've heard a million times before.  Sorry... rant over ;)

Fun fact about yourself:  I have no thyroid!  I have a smiley-face scar on my neck as a souvenir of its surgical removal :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:ba873ea9-eefd-476b-9cef-0942ceb9e8b8">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roll Call? : Yep, defending in June :).  Thank goodness I just signed on for a real job.  One more thing off the checklist, lol.  But I have to say I've been way more stressed about my dissertation and the job hunt than the wedding!
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

I was lucky and got my big-kid job lined up pretty early last fall.  But the dissertation is way, way, way more stressful than the wedding.  The wedding is a nice break from it.  Although I get annoyed when my mom calls be about the wedding and I'm in the middle of writing/research - I don't think she (or others) understand that the wedding just cannot be an all-consuming thing for me.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Fun fact about yourself:   Both my father's and my medical diplomas were signed by movie stars that became California governors.

reagan and the terminator?
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:3577c038-2bfd-4305-b065-8d92ec67d64d">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fun fact about yourself:    Both my father's and my medical diplomas were signed by movie stars that became California governors. reagan and the terminator?
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

<div>Yup.  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: Audrey and Christopher
    Ages: 24
    Wedding Date(any signifcance to the date?): May 19, 2012, we started dating on June 19, we were engaged on November 19 (my birthday), and May 19 is exactly 18 months from the day of our engagement, and that's how long I wanted to plan!
    Where do you live? We both live in Boston
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) We are getting married at Our Lady of Fatima Parish in Ludlow, where FI went to church growing up, although he is not currently a member since he lives in Boston
    A bible passage your particularly like: Romans 5:1-5
    Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

A hymn you particularly like: We are many parts
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I love receiving the host. It truly rejuvenates me every week and makes me feel closer to God.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: I was baptised, confirmed and received first communion last Easter, after taking RCIA and there are still a lot of prayers and traditions and practices I'm not familiar with yet, which can be challenging.
    Fun fact about yourself: I'm planning on getting a tattoo of a cross in about a month in celebration of my first full year being Catholic... not very traditional, I know, but I have my reasons :)
    ~The Future Mrs. L~ Planning Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Name/FI or H's Name:  Kristine & Scott

Ages: 35 & 33

Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): 6/5/2010

Where do you live? Mississippi

Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?)  We got married in my husband's parish, which is also where I went through RCIA.  I loved that the priest that baptized and confirmed me was also the celebrant at our wedding mass.

A bible passage your particularly like: Can't think of any off the top of my head.

A hymn you particularly like: "One Bread, One Body"

Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: Knowing that I am part of the church that Jesus started.

Something you find challenging about being Catholic: Dealing with misconceptions that others have about Catholics.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:  Mara and Greg
    Ages: 26, 25
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): Oct. 22 (or possibly 8) this year
    Where do you live? Ann Arbor MI, moving to Cleveland where FI lives
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) My church.
    A bible passage your particularly like: "For I know well the plans I have in mind for you..." from Jeremiah
    A hymn you particularly like: Let All Mortal Flesh
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: beautiful liturgy :-)
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: churches that are really ugly and have really ugly liturgies (like those that don't care about worshipping God, that only think we are gathered for a "meal" and to be nice to everyone)
    Fun fact about yourself: I play the organ and I try really hard to not be judgemental when I don't like how people do their music at Mass.
    Anniversary
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:  Katie and Chuck

Ages: 23/25

Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): June 25, 2011! No significance, just the day that worked for us. Our church is difficult to book for weddings.

Where do you live? Pittsburgh, PA

Where are you getting married?
    St. Patrick's Church, back in Ohio

Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) My parents.

A bible passage your particularly like: Luke 2... The visitation and the Magnificat :)

A hymn you particularly like: Tough one.... Ave Maria, Holy God We Praise Thy Name...

Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: everything! Ok ok, the first thing that comes to mind is the saints... great having so many friends in Heaven to help us and guide us! And also, the Eucharist. I'd say that's pretty cool ;)

Something you find challenging about being Catholic: People who hate the Catholic Church based on their misunderstandings about it. Especially if they're not open to explanations...

Fun fact about yourself: FI asked me out on a date in January 2007 and I said no. It took about a year until I finally came around (in my defense, 2 months of that year I was in another state and 5 months of it I was in another hemisphere!)

And for the record, Go Buckeyes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just lurk around here to get ideas--so thanks to the regs!

Name/FI or H's Name: Amy/TJ
    Ages: 27/28
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): 5/14/11
    Where do you live? Chicago
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) The church that I grew up in; my parents are still parishoners
    A bible passage your particularly like:  John 14:1 Do not let your hearts be troubled
    A hymn you particularly like: The Servant Song
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: Finding parishes/Catholic communities that I'm comfortable in. I went to a Jesuit university where there was a great faith community. It really helped me shape and form my Catholic identity. When I moved into "the real world" it took awhile to find a parish that I felt comfortable at.
    Fun fact about yourself: 
    I was baptised in second grade and was Confirmed twice! (I went through RCIA when I was younger and then also went through religious education and celebrated Confirmation again when I was in 8th grade).

• edited December 2011
    Amy, have you done anything with Charis (Chicago's Jesuit outreach for young adults?)  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:d6416ba7-b3d8-4250-a4e3-0a1661d20aa8">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amy, have you done anything with Charis (Chicago's Jesuit outreach for young adults?)  
    Posted by ellen73[/QUOTE]
    no, but I've heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion. Are you involved with it?
  • edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: Linda and my fiance's name is Ron
    Ages: I'm 48 and he's 53
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): October 15th...June 25th was the day we met but Junes were out of the question, August 12th was our first choice because of the Perseid meteor shower when we first said we loved each other, but it didn't work out (annulment/brother/hot), so we decided the fall would be lovely. 
    Where do you live? southeast missouri
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) We are getting married at St. Michael's, the church where I cantor and where I went into the Church. I have been a member of the parish for a while; he just transferred his membership.
    A bible passage your particularly like: "Behold, I am with you always...to the close of the age." Also the passage...not sure if it's Corinthians or Romans...about the importance of all the different unique parts of the body. It really me understand that women's roles in the church are important, even though we can't be priests.
    A hymn you particularly like: Oh, there are so many! Prayer of St. Francis, Hail Mary Gentle Woman, Shelter Me O God, Whatsoever You Do...I could go on and on...it's why I love being a cantor.
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: Again, so many things! I just love Mass. I love taking Communion every Sunday and when I go to daily Mass. I love the positive take on humanity, the feast for the senses, and most of all, the inclusion of the Blessed Mother.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: Those who are excessively conservative, going to church every Sunday is wonderful but can be tough sometimes, the annulment process has been challenging.
    Fun fact about yourself: 
    I am a clinical psychologist, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hike and camp, I have two cats named Chaco and Maya, and I am originally from Indiana.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:21494c77-8dbb-4e2a-8713-1149bada44af">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Fun Fact: I'm a natural redhead.
    Posted by HandBanana[/QUOTE]

Me too!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:8f24364d-974b-410e-81af-580a397673ed">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roll Call? : I was lucky and got my big-kid job lined up pretty early last fall.  But the dissertation is way, way, way more stressful than the wedding.  The wedding is a nice break from it.  Although I get annoyed when my mom calls be about the wedding and I'm in the middle of writing/research - I don't think she (or others) understand that the wedding just cannot be an all-consuming thing for me.
    Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]

What are your PhDs in? Mine's in psychology...
  • bklyn10910bklyn10910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:f3f64db7-3fd1-4e8e-86fe-7e5e75d850e2">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roll Call? : Me too!
    Posted by lmeade62[/QUOTE]

Me three!
    Maureen & Jonathan - Married 10-9-10 | Expecting our first child 05-04-13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • bklyn10910bklyn10910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: Maureen & Jon
    Ages: 26 & 27 respectively
    Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): 10/9/10.  We needed to get married on a 3 day weekend, since most of my family lives far away and needed the extra travel time.  October is my favorite month (perfect weather!) and we liked the symmetry of the date.
    Where do you live?
    Brooklyn, NY
    Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) We got married in the same parish my husband grew up in.  His parents also got married there.  We brought in a priest from my old parish in Manhattan though.
    A hymn you particularly like: Canticle of the Sun
    Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I love the rituals.
    Something you find challenging about being Catholic: I disagree with the Church's treatment of woman, and their stance on many social issues.
    Fun fact about yourself: I was baptized when i was 3 hours old since I was born incredibly sick and the doctors weren't sure I'd survive the surgeries I needed to live.  My mom calls me her miracle baby.  Luckily the surgeries were sucessful and I'm doing great these days. :)
    Maureen & Jonathan - Married 10-9-10 | Expecting our first child 05-04-13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_roll-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8011ad88-5a70-48e1-b9c4-5e431080949ePost:1e1b1a6f-dd0b-4a55-b950-c2eec4d42b7e">Re: Roll Call?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roll Call? : Me three!
    Posted by bklyn10910[/QUOTE]
    And me! Wow, lots of redheads here :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name:  T & L

Ages: 27/27

Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): July 30, 2011

Where do you live? Cincinnati

Where are you getting married? 
    Cincinnati

Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) both of us

A bible passage your particularly like: I like Paul to the Ephesians Ch 5: talks about Christ's love, husband's love, wife's love, and very appropriate as a reading during a wedding.  I like the Magnificat, too.  I also like the Song of Songs, basically sexually erotic poetry, full of meaning.

A hymn you particularly like: I like many of the Latin ones

Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I love everything about the Catholic faith! I particularly love that it is the founding church of Christ on the rock of St. Peter 2000 years ago. I love its universality, the respect and upholding of women to the highest degree and being always on the forefront on social justice issues compared to the rest of society (funny that some named this as what they don't like about the church due to common misunderstanding) and how it sheds light on both Apostolic tradition and Scripture together to search and understand Truth. I love Theology of the Body, which embodies all of the teachings of of the Church. Most of all, as KatieAnne mentioned, the Real Presence in the Eucharist is only in the Church and is the best gift given to us.

Something you find challenging about being Catholic: Some people allow predjudices and misunderstandings to harden their hearts, especially with confirmation biases and other fallacies, which is a normal human response. But I wish people would open more and sincerely listen to explanations. As Bishop Fulton Sheen said, "There are not over a hundred people in the US who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church--which is, of course, quite a different thing."

Fun fact about yourself: FI and I met on Facebook initially until we invited each other out for coffee two days after our first random message! We found out we belonged to the same parish but just didn't see each other before. Our church at the time where we lived was huge with Masses practically every hour.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Name/FI or H's Name: Rachel & Arjay

Ages: 28, he's 30

Wedding Date (any signifcance to the date?): April 28, 2012...no real significance, although I have this thing about odd numbers so I wanted an even numbered day. Also, we didnt want to pick a date too far into "wedding season". 

Where do you live? St. Louis, MO

Where are you getting married?  Who is a member in the parish (You/your parents/FI?) St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church...its my FI's parish. My parish is one of the biggest cathedrals in the area and we wanted something more intimate

A bible passage your particularly like: I dont know if I have a favorite

A hymn you particularly like: Ave Maria

Something you particularly "like" about being Catholic: I love our communion with all the Saints...its amazing to know we have such a wealth of friends who can intercede for us. Also, I absolutely LOVE being Catholic in St. Louis, MO...we have such a huge Catholic population here and so many parishes here do wonderful fellowship and charity.

Something you find challenging about being Catholic: Trying to reconcile my tendency toward liberal views and knowing that the Church can't simply "change" to meet the times. 

Fun fact about yourself: I dont know how "fun" it is but I have a Port Wine Stain (red birthmark) down my forehead to the bridge of my nose. Toned down alot as I got older and with makeup so most don't notice, until I get mad...it gets DARK. Its like a warning signal to my loved ones LOL 
    Photobucket Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards