Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte

My fiancee and I began planning our wedding not too long ago. We had decided on a small intimate ceremony in November and I of course have had in my head what I wanted like most women do. Well, he got hurt at work pretty bad and due to the timing of it, he lost his job and thus his insurance. He has 2 kids from his previous marriage that he is responsible for their insurance and with just my income, we have been struggling. So we decided to do the JP thing at the court house this coming Monday to get him and the kids on my insurace sooner rather than later.
The only people who will be able to attend are my dad and step-mom. I of course want my sister and mother there, but they live in Vegas and we are in Houston-too far to expect them to travel for the actual ceremony at such short notice. My mom is a little upset understandably. We still wanted to do something in November to have the family together and celebrate our union. I wanted to get thoughts on what I could do that would be appropriate. I still wanted to be able to have a dress (not over the top wedding-type; simple, long off white, lacy wedding type) and do some sort of promises to each other in front of our families similar a vow renewal, I guess. I'm not really sure what to do to include family and would like some input.

Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte

• Just throw a party in celebration of your marriage.  You can wear a white dress but I would recommend staying away from anything that is clearly a wedding dress.  Skip any spotlight dances.  You can say a few words to eachother at the party but not as part of a ceremony.

I am sorry to hear what has happened but,in light of some other women we've had on TK recently, I applaud you for making the decision to get married now and not try to have a do over "wedding" later.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Thanks, I had read the other posts and could understand the want to do a wedding if you didn't get exactly the one you wanted, but on the other hand, I'd already be married so don't see a reason to have another ceremony. I just want ideas of what to do to include our families.

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Monday is Memorial Day.  Court houses are closed.  Maybe call and verify.  I'd hate for you to get all dressed up and excited for your wedding to just have to go back a different day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_celebration-after-the-ceremony-etiquitte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:edc235c7-efa0-4f7c-9842-f6b380674124Post:1409e46f-3253-4644-8e5a-2db3fa3b97dc">Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte : Ding ding ding!!  We have a winner.  Please stay around ldugat.  I agree with pp.  Wear a nice dress, have a celebration of your vows.  I'd probably stay away from much of anything else.  As far as including family, how about getting some pro photos done at the party?
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

That's an awesome idea! Didn't even think about pictures and have those in lieu of pro wedding pictures :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_celebration-after-the-ceremony-etiquitte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:edc235c7-efa0-4f7c-9842-f6b380674124Post:7483cdc6-b498-443a-848a-626f0ecd092f">Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte</a>:
    [QUOTE]Monday is Memorial Day.  Court houses are closed.  Maybe call and verify.  I'd hate for you to get all dressed up and excited for your wedding to just have to go back a different day.
    Posted by kaos16[/QUOTE]

I live in a tiny little town outside of Houston and went to high school with the JP's kids. He's also a close personal friend of my dad's. Called him yesterday and it happened to work out perfectly because he was available on Monday! Thanks!
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_celebration-after-the-ceremony-etiquitte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:edc235c7-efa0-4f7c-9842-f6b380674124Post:bd4e300b-7198-47ae-8ba8-04177398bf0c">Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte : I live in a tiny little town outside of Houston and went to high school with the JP's kids. He's also a close personal friend of my dad's. Called him yesterday and it happened to work out perfectly because he was available on Monday! Thanks!
    Posted by ldugat[/QUOTE]

Good deal and congratulations!  I'm glad it is all going to work out for you.  Enjoy your celebration!
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Why can't your mom and sister fly from Vegas to Houston this coming Friday or Sat or Sunday?
    If my kid was going to be married this coming Monday, I would absolutely be there.

Go up on Travelocity, and tell your mother and sister about how low the airfare is for the sale of the last 10 seats on every plane because the airlines want to fill up those planes on the holiday weekend.  Or have your mom call the airline directly and tell the clerk about her special situation which will likely get a discounted fare for her and your sister.  Get them to come to Houston. 

If they drive to Phoenix, they can get flights even cheaper.  Yes, that's 5 hours away from Vegas, but people in my state drive to Orlando or Miami-Ft.Lauderdale to get cheaper flights...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_celebration-after-the-ceremony-etiquitte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:edc235c7-efa0-4f7c-9842-f6b380674124Post:19527df1-8c1e-423e-bf53-c5e078c7bf75">Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why can't your mom and sister fly from Vegas to Houston this coming Friday or Sat or Sunday? If my kid was going to be married this coming Monday, I would absolutely be there. Go up on Travelocity, and tell your mother and sister about how low the airfare is for the sale of the last 10 seats on every plane because the airlines want to fill up those planes on the holiday weekend.  Or have your mom call the airline directly and tell the clerk about her special situation which will likely get a discounted fare for her and your sister.  Get them to come to Houston.  If they drive to Phoenix, they can get flights even cheaper.  Yes, that's 5 hours away from Vegas, but people in my state drive to Orlando or Miami-Ft.Lauderdale to get cheaper flights...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

She's actually already flying in on the 9th to take care of some things with her husband's mother who is pretty sick right now and while she's here is picking up my daughter to take her back to visit for a month. She's already bought tickets for her and my kid to go to vegas then she's also bringing her back. So she's already in the next month going to be flying here and back twice. So on her part, it's kind of a lot of money to spend in that amount of time on a teacher's salary. I also can't move the date for when she's going to actually be here because my fiancee is having surgery 2 days before she flys in then another one a week before my kid gets back. It's just not great timing for her :(
  • Idugat - enjoy your wedding day!!!!

• jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    When you do the celebration in November, maybe you can do toasts to each other where you reiterate what was said in your vows, so your friends and family can hear it.  Perhaps something about how you want those closest to you to know the promises you have made to each other?  That way it's not super formal, nor is it an actual "vow exchange" or anything.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_celebration-after-the-ceremony-etiquitte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:edc235c7-efa0-4f7c-9842-f6b380674124Post:c578e061-111c-4cb8-bcba-a2ef83bc4b6c">Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte</a>:
    [QUOTE]When you do the celebration in November, maybe you can do toasts to each other where you reiterate what was said in your vows, so your friends and family can hear it.  Perhaps something about how you want those closest to you to know the promises you have made to each other?  That way it's not super formal, nor is it an actual "vow exchange" or anything.
    Posted by jmp2004[/QUOTE]

I really like this idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_celebration-after-the-ceremony-etiquitte?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:edc235c7-efa0-4f7c-9842-f6b380674124Post:c578e061-111c-4cb8-bcba-a2ef83bc4b6c">Re: Celebration after the ceremony etiquitte</a>:
    [QUOTE]When you do the celebration in November, maybe you can do toasts to each other where you reiterate what was said in your vows, so your friends and family can hear it.  Perhaps something about how you want those closest to you to know the promises you have made to each other?  That way it's not super formal, nor is it an actual "vow exchange" or anything.
    Posted by jmp2004[/QUOTE]

<div>Love this idea! Thanks :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards