Canada

Any other Atlantic Canada Brides out there?

Hi there...I live in New Brunswick and planning on getting married next May and I was wondering if there were other brides in the area to share ideas with and discuss wedding plans.  We are older and it will be the first marriage for both of us.

I have been reading some of the other boards and I find that there a lot of diverse personalities out there with many different views on what is appropriate and what is not which made me realize that many wedding traditions are similar in our area of Canada but at the same time some are very different.

Feel free to share!

Re: Any other Atlantic Canada Brides out there?

• PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hiii! *waves* I'm from Nova Scotia.  FI and I are getting married in Halifax next Sept.

Welcome to the board:)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • kaitlyn20kaitlyn20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in new brunswick to. but we are getting married in ontario...its so hard to plan something when im 14 hours away from the place lol at least i have a lil less then 2 years to plan
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • suzie173suzie173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! We were just married this June, both older, both for the first time, in my little hometown in Cape Breton (lack of many services made for lots of hours work for the wedding party!). If I can be of any help, let me know.
    Suzie and Tom: Livin' the Dream!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Nat,
      I'm getting Married in Saint Andrews by the Sea in September 2011. We live in Frederiction. How is your planning going. I too find so many diffrent oppinions and traditions. Our wedding will be pretty informal, outdoor and a cocktail reception. I'm really looking forward to having all my friends and family with me. I'm originally from Manitoba so we wanted to make it a bit of a destination for those that are coming from away.
    Where are you thinking of having your wedding?

Eva
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey eva...im in oromocto...wow its nice to see some on here from canada thats so close lol
  • peinursebeccapeinursebecca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies i am getting married in PEI in July 2011 by the ocean!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would be beautiful! i want to get married on a beach but unfortunately there are no nice beaches in the are of ontario that our families live :(
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone.  Thank you for the warm welcomes.  I have been busy for the past few days and I come back to the Knot to find lots of ladies in the area. 

Eva and Kaitlyn....I am in Oromocto, too.  Where are you ladies finding your stuff?  I ordered my dress already and we are working on some of the other arrangements.  Any suggestions on cakes since I found out that Sarah at Sweet Delights is no longer doing cakes.  We haven't booked a reception site yet but we did see an outdoor wedding at the Delta and love the idea but with the time of year we are looking at it might not be an option. 

PEInursebecca...I lived in PEI for a few years and getting married at the National Park will be beautiful!

Suzie...did you do all the wedding things?  We are trying to keep things small and want to skip a lot of the wedding stuff like bachelor/ette, garter/bouquet toss, spotlight dances, etc. and just have the ceremony and simple reception. 

Welcome everyone!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there everone,

I live just outside Boucouche and am too an older couple with our first wedding. I find trying to figure all the stuff out mind boggling. We are planning a small wedding in June 2011. So if anyone has ideas for favours etc please feel free to share.

Elaine
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well im going to go look at dresses at the bridal store beside rhondas on the weekend and if i dont find  a dress there im going to be looking at anna bridal place near rbc ( i think thats what its called) we are probably going to buy all the small things here in oromocto/fredericton and then anything we dont find or has anything to do with rentals/venues we are going look into when we are in ontario for christmas...we are getting married 2012 and im really hoping the place we look at is budget friendly because it is beautiful but it sucks planning a wedding when im 14 hours from there...
  • edited December 2011
    He Elaine...welcome. :)  It is nice to know there are others out there that are first time brides like us who want small and simple weddings.  Most of our guests will be coming from out of town so I am thinking of providing bottles of wine as welcome gifts in the hotel rooms and thinking of giving coasters as the favours at the wedding...they come in packages of two so it will be one package per couple to keep the costs down.  Over on the favours board lots of ladies like edible favours so that is something to think about, too. 

Hi Kaitlyn - I think you are thinking of the Wedding Chapel and Anne's Wedding Apparel beside RBC.  I knew I didn't want a strapless dress so I started hunting online for designers that made dresses with real sleeves and found Venus Bridal and Bonny Bliss as options.  After I checked for local stores on their websites I decided on Anne's because they carry the Bonny Bliss line.  I did go to both stores and both have really nice staff and lots of gowns to try on.  Hope that helps.

First Comment
    edited December 2011

i cant wait to try dresses on...everyone says you wont know its the one till you try it on lol i wanted a nice small intimate simple wedding but unfortunately my other half is the complete opposite and wants a big wedding...so we compromised on having about 100 people....

• edited December 2011
    Hi Nat,

I too have been looking at wedding dresses, and many of the ones that I had seen online were well either too revealing or not apporpriate for the small wedding we are going to have. I did however find that Bonny Bliss did have some nice gowns that I look forward to trying on. Because we are having our ceremony at 11- 11:30ish my mother suggested a tea length gown and after looking at a few I decided that it was not the way to go....small wedding or not I still want to feel like a bride and seeing the shorter dresses I just do not think they look bride like. I think I will wait until after x mas to start trying on etc, that way any weight gained from the holidays will hopefully be gone lol.
  • luckenboothluckenbooth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be getting married in Cape Breton in November 2010! There do seem to be a lack of resources. We are having a hard time finding a reasonably price photographer. Even an amatuer would be fine as it is a simple Celtic wedding with about 40 guests. This is a second marriage for both of us and we want to keep it small and simple.
  • suzie173suzie173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi again. We did a few traditional things, like a bouquet and garter toss, but skipped the bachelor/bachelorette. We only had a short first dance then invited everyone who helped with the wedding (WP, readers, greeters, decorators, you name it) to join us in a second dance. Both of us had no living parents to dance with, and the wedding party dance seemed too forced. In the end I think the more inclusive second dance helped get more people in the mood for the reception. We had no spot dances.We had only the groom, best man and MOH speak briefly and the emcee kept it short and sweet as well at the supper. We had no slide shows, etc.I think because we are older we wanted it to be appropriate to who we are now instead of what we thought the wedding should include when we were 12! :)
    Suzie and Tom: Livin' the Dream!
  • edited December 2011
    How is everyone doing this week?  How did all the ladies who were looking at gowns make out???

A big thank you to everyone with the wedding suggestions. :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    gahhh i ended up not going.......ive been really lazy with anything weddingish....i think its cuz it stresses me out lol i likke looking at things but when it comes to the actual planning it just blahhhhhhhh  or it could be cuz mine is two years a way and i like to put things off to the last minute although i know i shouldnt cuz before you know it itll be 2012 :/
  • edited December 2011

Hi All,
      I lucked out and found my dress in Winnipeg (where I am from) when I was there in July. One day, one shop. probably will be the easiest part of this process. I have a friend that found a beautiful dress at a shop in Oromocto (link below). She had a great experience with them.

I wanted a tea length, not strapless dress too, I ended up with something very diffrent. Though I did have a contender that was just below the knee and so beautiful. It's true you will know when you find the right one, just like with men ;)

Anyone have a sugestion for photographer or DJ?

As for cakes, I think I will get the Rossmount to do one for us (where we are having our whole wedding).  Best food in NB you can't go wrong I figgure. 

Eva 

http://annesweddingapparel.com/
  • edited December 2011

Also Nat have you looked at the Ducks Unlimited Building in Frederiction? It's really beautiful, right on the river. I have also heard of people having receptions at Killarney lake lodge (but I"m not sure how classy that would be...nice setting though.

I went to a wedding show last year in the winter that was helpfull for locations. Asside from the telemarketers after.

Eva

• kristalmscottkristalmscott member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone!  Great to finally find a board with Maritimers!  I've from Fredericton too! 

To those still looking for dresses, if you're planning/can wait until after Christmas, I would suggest going to the Gala put on by ACS Formals in Moncton.  It's at the coliseum and the sales are incredible! The style of the sale is basically like a smaller version of Filene's basement though, there are racks of dresses, a few rooms with curtains, but a lot of open area, you try the dresses on with less privacy than some would want, and you buy the dress as is, off the rack, but I got one in perfect shape and it was only $199!

Venues in Fredericton - Ducks is supposed to be beautiful and I was considering it until I went to Oakland Farm & Lodge in New Maryland.  I wanted to try to make as many aspects of our wedding "green" as we could, so the fact that I could have a simple ceremony and reception at the same place was great!  It does require a little more DIY or hiring of outside vendors, but I think it wil be well worth it.

Cakes - Yes, Sarah did stop making cakes, I heard she had to or it would be a health issue, I think it's arthritis. 

If you go to the wedding/bridal shows you can get more ideas of other cake vendors but here are a few:
    http://www.sweetiecakes4u.com/
    http://www.bellabakedgoods.com/
    http://www.cakesandbeyond.ca/

And there are at least a few on kijiji that you could look at, and if you're on facebook check out
    Ann's Cakery.

Also, the girls at Heavenly Gowns in Fredericton are super helpful, that's where we ordered my MOH's dress and I'll be getting my hairpiece.

Can't wait to hear more about everyone's plans!

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Everything but the Dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    56 image 39 image 4 image 11 image
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there! I am an Ontario bride getting married in New-Brunswick July 30th 2011.  I got some of my information from the Divine Details books that you can find at some of the sponsoring stores.  We have them here in Ontario and when I was reading the first few pages I realized that it was available in New-Brunswick, I fired off an email an within 20 minutes I received a phone call from Mark Hovey and we spoke for about 25 minutes and he gave me names of vendors that I should see when I ws there this past summer to book.  Most of my vendors are in Moncton, as we are about 45 minutes from there in Murray Corner, and there are not a whole lot of vendors out that way.

It's my first time on, and I am really loving it.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Newest members of our Atlantic Brides group.  :)

Eva....Anne's Wedding Apparel is where I ordered my dress...she was really helpful and seemed to know a lot about what would look good.  When my dress comes in, we will choose the headpieces so I have a little while to decide if I am doing a veil or not. 

Kristal...thank  you for the information.  Oakland Farm is really nice and will be a beautiful place to have your wedding.  I am still thinking of locations in Oromocto and Fredericton but am partial to having everything in the hotel where guests will be staying just to make everything more convenient....almost all of them will be coming from out of town.

I checked with Sarah and she did give me a couple of names to check with and there is going to be a bridal show in Oromocto in November so we will get to see some vendors in person.   Sarah is moving her store to the Tannary area on King street and is currently having a moving sale if anyone is interested!! The new location will focus on invitations and party stuff and will be called You're Invited!

By the way, Anne from my bridal shop suggested you make up a bunch of small pieces of paper with your name, number, etc on them to leave with the vendors and for the draws...awesome idea!!

Anyone going to the Bridal Show in Saint John this October?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought about going the that show, but $30 seems like an awful lot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_other-atlantic-canada-brides-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:46Discussion:bb748148-5dfa-455e-8787-dc9403a3a343Post:4d8d35af-56df-48be-9bdc-6b178afff935">Re: Any other Atlantic Canada Brides out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought about going the that show, but $30 seems like an awful lot!
    Posted by kristalmscott[/QUOTE]

<div>$30!?! That IS a lot.  I went to one this past weekend and it was $9. I would be hesitant to pay $30, as well.</div>

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Exactly! $5-$10 is the average, I don't care if someone famous is going to be there or not...I'd have to be guaranteed to get something good out of it to justify that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow...I had no ideas the tickets for that show were so expensive!  I guess I will not be going even though it would be cool to meet Randy from Say Yes to the Dress. 

Who is going to the Bridal Show in Oromocto in November?  Advance tickets are now available at Anne's Wedding Apparel in Oromocto.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a ton of wedding shows last year so I don't imagine I'll be going to any more...never know, I could change my mind, but I figure I have so much done that I don't really know how they would help me any further.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there!
    I'm getting married July 2011 in Fredericton, at Ducks Unlimited.  The events cooridinator there, Genevieve was super helpful and nice.  We are going with the Delta for catering, as my FI and I met while working in their kitchen, and they are doing everything for us as far as food and tables and such. 
    Another nice hotel in the area that hasn't been mentioned I think is the Riverside Resort and Conference Centre out by Mactaquac.  It's not that far out of town and right on the river.  One of my coworkers got married there in August and was really happy with everything.
  • edited December 2011

Hi All,

I have recently started looking for a photographer and a DJ. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I took a little break from wedding planing but I'm gearing up again. Also starting to think about invites and wedding favors. Friends of mine did reusable shoping bags that they screen printed a dragon fly and their names and a date on to. So sweet. I was thinking sea glass candy since it's a sea side wedding.

I would be curious to hear what others are doing and where they are finding supplies.

Anyone else making their invites?

Eva

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ive started looking for cheap invites.....invites are ranked pretty low on importence in our budget so we dont want to spend alot of money on them...im NOT really DIYing anything especially not the invites because i do not have a creative bone in my body and i wouldnt even know where to begin anyways lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards