Catholic Weddings

Man of honor and church

Has anyone dealt with this issue? My best friend also happens to be a man. ( A gay man, but that seems irrelevant to the issue). Has anyone had any problems with having a man of honor for a traditional catholic mass and ceremony?

Re: Man of honor and church

• IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had to deal with this but I would say it is going to vary from church to church--my good friend got grief from her priest because her MOH was 9 months pregnant at the time of the ceremony and the priest had issues with her standing on the alter. So I would check with your priest. Good luck!
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It really should not matter at all. The church really doesn't define the roles of MOH, BM, etc. Your priest may require your two witnesses to be Catholic - but if your MOH/BM are not, you can just have two other friends/family sign in their place.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    while there may be rules that your MOH and BM be catholic, there are no rules, to my knowledge, that says you must have one female and one male.
  • Zippy88kZippy88k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having two men (my brothers) and one woman standing up with me, and my fiance is having two men and one woman (his sister) stadning up with him. I'm not sure that there will be difficulties unless the priest is super conservative.
  • edited December 2011
    they have to be Catholic?  neither of ours are.  If fact only 4 out of 8 are.

We are having (or plan to) on my side: my BFF since 8th grade and my 3 bros.
    on his side: his BFF, his step bro, and his other two BFFS (girls).  So we're having a mixed bunch!  I hope we don't get shot down!
  • ashammasashammas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother is my MOH. The priest asked me what he was planning to wear and I said, the bridesmaid dress of course! He didn't seem amused.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ouachita - you will most likely need 2 official witnesses who are catholic. so you have 4 members of your WP who are catholic, you should be ok.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_man-of-honor-church?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:2548baee-d7f9-4107-a334-95c693a6ae6cPost:8bc1541a-9939-4d66-8eb2-5982428602b7">Re: Man of honor and church</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ouachita - you will most likely need 2 official witnesses who are catholic. so you have 4 members of your WP who are catholic, you should be ok.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that this is a very church-to-church thing. Definitely talk to your priest if the people you were planning on having sign are not Catholic. Some may ask that you choose another Catholic in attendance to do the signing. Some will not care at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_man-of-honor-church?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:2548baee-d7f9-4107-a334-95c693a6ae6cPost:8bc1541a-9939-4d66-8eb2-5982428602b7">Re: Man of honor and church</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ouachita - you will most likely need 2 official witnesses who are catholic. so you have 4 members of your WP who are catholic, you should be ok.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Definitely church-to-church.  My brother was the only one of our 10 who was Catholic.  The two people who witnessed?  Not Catholic.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards