New York-Long Island

How to arrange a Beach Ceremony??

Does anyone know how to go about having the ceremony on a LI beach?  Is it possible? My FI and I would really like to get married with our toes in the sand and do not really know how to go about it.  Any help would be appreciated :)

Re: How to arrange a Beach Ceremony??

• edited December 2011
    i am doing this for my wedding in July this year. my ceremony is going to be over on fire island but it is on a part of fire island where there is no communities or ferrys over etc.i was fortunate enough that my FMIL had connections with people to actually have it happen.
    i have heard of people getting married at kismet or ocean beach (which i think has a hotel and/or pavillion sort of thing to use very small tho). but those are 2 places i would look into. the fire island lighthouse also now does ceremonies over there. if you do do it on fire island though, you need to get a permit from the fire island national seashore. also look into reception halls that are on the water. most will do ceremonies on site. i know at the lands end in sayville there is a small beach area that they use for ceremonies and you wouldnt have to supply all the extras (chairs, mic/speaker, etc...) there is also places out in the hamptons and montauk (gurneys inn) that you could prob do, (but they were a little on the expensive side). you could also try like sunken meadow park or other places. although i never looked into them.
    ..if your not going to do it through a reception hall or someplace that provides ceremonies on the beach its alot to handle. i am very overwhelmed with all the stuff that needs to be done with just the ceremony and i have my FMIL and FI connections i could only imagine trying to do it without all that.

i hope this helped..i know when i was first starting out i had asked the same question on the board and wished someone else was doing it but wasnt. let me know if you have any questions and hopefully ill be able to help
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your feedback! We have looked into all waterfront places, but I really want my toes in the sand while saying our vows! We are checking into Land's End (we would have to do a Friday night though because we don't meet their minimum of 200 guest) and Gurney's (price is a little steep, but not terrible and it's soooo far).  I checked into another venue on the south shore and they wanted $10k just for the reception on the beach!! Plus the almost $200 mark per person! Insane!  As for now, we are hopeful for a place on the water where we would be married in a gazebo with beautiful views.  I really just wanted to see if we could be more flexible with where our ceremony is, but I guess not a lot of people have tried or it's just too difficult to do it.  Fire Island sounds wonderful though!! I'm sure it will be amazing! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hello Liz!

Beach Weddings are the best. Having grown up on Long Island, and working as a Wedding Photographer for a few years, it's the best place to tie the knot in my opinion.

I have worked with a couple who had their ceremony at Smith's Point which is a county park on Fire Island. It's easily accessible, and right at the end of Wm Floyd Parkway. It was in March, so there weren't many people there, but I'd imagine that during the Summer you'd have to deal with the every-day beach goers. The boardwalks, and proximity to the bay allowed for some nice photo opportunities.

Another option to consider is booking a venue that is on the bay. Land's End is fantastic, but remember that their parking lot is the go-to spot for people in Sayville to drive up their cars and peer out at the Bay. Just head there in the evening and you'll know exactly what I'm referring to.

A place like Seatuck Cove House in Eastport might be a better option, as it is more private, and still gives you an ocean view.

I hope this helps! I'd also like to invite you to check out my photography at www.WilliamThomasPhoto.com. I am currently running a promotion for a free full-day engagement session with any wedding package that's booked before August. Don't be fooled by my great prices too... I believe that you shouldn't have to sacrifice amazing quality to stay within a budget!

Good luck, and have fun planning!
  • JoyfulJourneyJoyfulJourney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liz:
    I've performed weddings on the beach at Fire Island.  If you need an officiant, please feel free to contact me.  I am an Interfaith Minister, graduate of One Spirit Interfaith Seminary in New York.
    Rev. Barbara
    www.joyfuljourneyministry.com
  • CourtLynBCourtLynB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I may be a little late to post, but I'm getting married on the beach next July. It's going to be out in Westhampton at Bath & Tennis. Not sure if you checked this place out. They do have a site fee, but it's less expensive on a Friday or Sunday.

I had friends who got married on a sand bar in Moriches Bay and I wanted to do that, but it would have been wayyyy  too complicated to pull off. I also looked at Land's End, but their "beach" was tiny and you have the ferries running by. Montauk yacht Club also has a beach option, but again it was tiny. And they were expensive. We really considered Gurney's but didn't like their back-up plan for rain and the fact that it was about an hour to get there from where I live.

I think someone mentioned a place in Eastport, but they don't have a beach there. They do look out onto Seatuck Cove and Moriches Bay and it's very pretty. There's also Trumpets at the Gate, which is waterfront.

I'm not too well versed on stuff up the island, but I know Atlantica in Long Beach (?) is on the ocean ( I think)
  • sheehane2sheehane2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call NYS Parks Department Local Division- 631-669-1000. For information on Robert Moses or Jones Beach. You need to apply using a park keys application stating what park and what field. For next July I was told to send it in late November- wouldn’t be able to issue permit until 2012. No designated spots, open to public. No large chair rentals or decorations, usually just people standing- chairs for disabled or elderly people only. No fee for ceremony but for professional photographer it’s $100 fee. 

For Town of Oyster Bay Beaches- Tobay or Roosevelt. Call Town Hall= 516- 797-4110. During summer it's only allowed after 4:00 due to fees charged for daily use of beach. You need to write a letter to commissioner of parks stating time, date, approx. # people, location. Describe location in letter- if know location on Tobay beach. Commissioner will read letter and send to superintendent & he would handle it from there.  You would be able to partition a section of beach off for ceremony.

Commissioner is Jim Byrne- 977 Hicksville Rd, Massapequa 11758 

For Suffolk County- Call 631-854-4964. Fill out a permit, no charge. I was told for July to fill out permit at the beginning of next year- send to office- approval, call up and go over location with parks supervisor. No fee. Not be put in public area with people.  

Hope this helps! I know how difficult it is to find any information. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards