Vineyard Weddings

Wine ceremony?

Hello girls!
Anyone doing a wine ceremony?
Although we're having a catholic mass, I'm thinking of substituting the candle ceremony for a wine version.
What are you girls doing?

pescadita

Re: Wine ceremony?

• My fiance and I considered it, because it would go so well with our overall theme.  After talking with our priest, we are most likely going to skip the whole candle/sand/wine ceremony all together.  We were very surprised to learn that the candle lighting thing is not technically a part of the traditional Catholic ceremony.  It is something optional that many couples choose to do, but not mandatory or even traditional.  We were pretty surprised... we just thought that everyone did it because you are supposed to. 
    We thought that since the traditional Catholic ceremony is pretty lengthy anyway, we would just skip it.
    I do absolutely love the idea of a wine ceremony... it is pretty unique... I have heard of couples doing it and even suggested it on this board, but I have never actually seen it done before.  I think it would be a beautiful and unique alternative to the candle or sand ceremony.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • wow, i'm surpirse to hear that as well. I thought that it was part of the whole ceremony. Guess I'll have to look into it when I meet with the priest. At this point I'm still collecting ideas for the ceremony.
    If there is a chance of saving time so the celebration can start....by all means - Go for it!!!
    thank you for sharing
  • No problem... like I said, I was pretty surprised myself. 
    Online Garage Sale
  • Can you explain the wine ceremony? I saw it in a Bridal Magazine, but it wasnt explained. Since our wedding ceremony and reception is at a winery, I didnt want to overkill the "wine"  and drinking ideas.
  • edited September 2010
    It is almost identical to the "Sand Ceremony" that many couples do now.
    On the table there will be 2 small decanters (open mouthed wine bottle thingies)- one with red wine and one with white... these are best done with sweeter wines.
    In the middle there is a larger decanter... if you have the decanter engraved it looks awesome... you can't really see it empty, but when the bride and groom fill it... the engraving really pops!
    So... instead of filling a jar with sand or lighting a unity candle, the bride takes the white wine and the groom takes the red.... they both pour their wine into the large canter, creating a blush wine.
    The new blush wine symbolizes the two becoming one and can be used for the bridal party's toast at the reception.  Very beautiful and sweet.
    Online Garage Sale
  • I have heard of that version of the wine ceremony also.  I think it's pretty sweet too.

My family has a very interesting tradition (not necessarily a wine ceremony, per se, but still really neat).

When a baby girl is born, the parents buy (or are given) a bottle of really nice wine from that year.  If it is a boy, they are given (or buy) a really nice bottle of whiskey.

These bottles are stored and kept until that baby grows up and it is now their wedding day.  Then the bottle is presented to the bride and/or groom and used at the wedding or rehearsal dinner for toasts.  Given that, by this time, the wine or whiskey is usually about 20 or 25 years old... yum!!! 

It is a really sweet tradition that my parents have passed down (I can't wait to drink my 28 year old Dom... yay!!!) and I plan to do for my children also.

So... not exactly a wine ceremony, but definitely an interesting tradition that you ladies might want to start in your own families.
    Online Garage Sale
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_vineyard-weddings_wine-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:669Discussion:9a20f80c-6914-4c02-91df-31c33bbeabfdPost:27960d46-9579-414e-aa7c-dfc76ee0db9a">Re: Wine ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only problem with the wine ceremony is that mixing together a white and a red wine does not yield a "wine" at all.  The symbolism of it is completely lost if you understand that you are basically taking good wine and yielding an undrinkable solution.
    Posted by nebbiolo[/QUOTE]

Actually there are many different combinations of red and white wines that can be mixed together to form a perfectly delicious and absolutely drinkable solution.  You shoud consider trying it out before you bash it on the board...
    I would suggest sticking with sweeter, lighter reds and whites that have a similar flavor profile to begin with... they blend the best.
    Online Garage Sale
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards