Getting in Shape
Options

Recipe Exchange!

Please post healthy recipes here! If you've recently tried something new and want to share, please do! I know we're all always looking for new healthy meals to try out.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recipe Exchange!

• Options
    Ooh Fun! Here's mine!

VEGGIE STUFFED PEPPERS

6 peppers
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can diced tomatoes (keep juice aside for later)
    1 small onion diced
    1 can mushrooms diced
    Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    crushed red pepper
    Italian seasoning

Cook the rice according to instructions and set aside.

Wash and hollow out the peppers. Arrange on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 4 minutes (until soft).

In a large saucepan or pot saute the onions, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes in olive oil w/ some crushed garlic. When onions are a little soft (not quite clear) add in kidney beans, tomato juice, and rice. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and italian seasoning. Let simmer. Some of the tomato juice will evaporate out, and that is okay. You can let it cook until it gets the consistency you like (I like my juicier).

Stuff peppers with mixture (about 3/4 cup depending on size of peppers). Top with mozzarella cheese while hot. Serve.

NOTE: If you'd rather bake the peppers then just wash and hollow them out and arrange in a baking dish. Set the oven to 350. Stuff the peppers (but definitely leave the stuffing a little wetter - you can add some extra canned or leftover tomato sauce if you want) and bake for about 45 - 60 minutes. If you're going to add cheese, do that at the last 10 minutes.

-- Thoughts become things, choose the good ones! --

• Options

Spicy Carrot Peanut butter soup!
    It sounds weird but it is sooo good. I just bought another bag of carrots and then the blender broke :(

Ingredients

1 tbsp canola oil
    2 onions, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    2 lb organic carrots, sliced fairly thinly (don’t go crazy, but you don’t want thick chunks, either. Shoot for 1/4-1/2 inch slices.)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like it (or use a fresh chile, stemmed and chopped)
    1 tsp coarse salt
    6 cups water
    2 tbsp all-natural peanut butter
    3 tbsp soy sauce
    juice of half a lime

For garnish: chopped cilantro, crushed peanuts, lime wedges

Directions
    Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat, then add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper flakes and saute until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 25-30 minutes.

Add the peanut butter, soy sauce, and lime juice, and stir until the peanut butter melts into the soup. Puree the soup until smooth, using either an immersion blender or a food processor/blender (if using the latter, you’ll need to puree in batches.) Taste the soup and adjust the salt, if needed (though I usually find the 1 tsp originally added is enough.)

5 WW pts. for a big bowl. I split the reciept into 5 servings

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Green Smoothie 

I actually found this recipe on Sparkpeople, and it's awesome!

2 - 2.5 cups spinach
    1 medium banana
    6-7 strawberries (or about that same amount in other berries)
    3/4 cup orange juice (I like Trop 50 because it's half the calories of regular OJ)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder 

Put it all in a blender and blend! It helps to do the orange juice and spinach first so that the leaves get finely blended. 

Ajopus, thanks for the quinoa recipe, I'm going to try that this weekend
    It's really filling and delicious. The spinach sounds weird at first but it doesn't taste any different than a regular smoothie, and it gives it a wonderful texture. And it's an easy way to get a lot of spinach in. 
  • Options
    This is actually The Cheesecake Factory's recipe for CAJUN JAMBALAYA PASTA.  It is amazing and pretty healthy!  I made some modifications while cooking to make it a little healthier and easier to make- indicated below.  It looks more complicated then it actually is.  Sorry it's so long!

CAJUN JAMBALAYA PASTA

1/2 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1/2 pound large shrimp
    12 ounces fettuccine (I used whole grain pasta or you can use brown rice)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 medium tomatoes
    1 sm green pepper
    1 sm red bell pepper
    1 sm yellow bell pepper
    1 sm onion
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock

1.  Combine spices and coat diced chicken breasts (use about 1/3 of the combined spice mixture)
    2.  Sprinkle an additional 1/3 of spice mixture on shrimp
    3.  Cook chicken and shrimp in oiled skillet until browned- add shrimp after chicken has been cooking for a few minutes so you don't over cook it!
    4.  Once chicken and shrimp have been cooked, remove from pan.  Add a little more olive oil if needed then add diced veggies.
    5.  Add the remaining 1/3 of the spice mixture to veggies
    6.  Once the veggies are browned add the chicken and shrimp back in and add 3/4 cup (half) of the stock.  Cook on high heat until the liquids are reduced.
    7.  Add the rest of the stock to deglaze the pan.  Stir constantly.
    8.  Serve over pasta/rice and enjoy!

*They say to add cornstarch and wine at the end to thicken the sauce, but I didn't think it was necessary.

• Options
    Oh wow, that carrot PB soup sounds fantastic.   I'll have to give that a shot.

I haven't been making much new and healthy lately, soooo, I'm going to have to sit this round out.  So many of those things sound tasty.  I'll have to try the quinoa one too.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_recipe-exchange-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1bc66bc8-258f-4473-838b-c0a03d3d134aPost:97b1535c-50be-4cdb-ac9a-4f0f206177e6">Re: Recipe Exchange!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Green Smoothie  I actually found this recipe on Sparkpeople, and it's awesome! 2 - 2.5 cups spinach 1 medium banana 6-7 strawberries (or about that same amount in other berries) 3/4 cup orange juice (I like Trop 50 because it's half the calories of regular OJ) 1 scoop vanilla protein powder  Put it all in a blender and blend! It helps to do the orange juice and spinach first so that the leaves get finely blended.  Ajopus, thanks for the quinoa recipe, I'm going to try that this weekend It's really filling and delicious. The spinach sounds weird at first but it doesn't taste any different than a regular smoothie, and it gives it a wonderful texture. And it's an easy way to get a lot of spinach in. 
    Posted by shwethasrin[/QUOTE]
    Green Monster. Ive been meaning to try it out, but Im not sure what I want to put in it.  I always see the ladies on H&F talking about them so I really want to give it sa shot. <a href="http://greenmonstermovement.com/?page_id=581" rel="nofollow">http://greenmonstermovement.com/?page_id=581</a>
  • Options
    Zuchinni Carrot Burgars.

These are tastey. The reciepe is from Betty Crocker.

Ingredients

• 1 egg(s), slightly beaten or 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
    • 1 tablespoon oil, olive
    • 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
    • 1 cup(s) crackers, stone-ground wheat
    • 1 cup(s) zucchini
    • 1 cup(s) basil, fresh
    • 1/4 cup(s) scallion(s) (green onions)
    • 1/2 cup(s) yogurt, low-fat plain
    • 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
    • 2 large pita, whole-wheat
    • 1 cup(s) lettuce, green leaf
    • 1 small tomato(es), thinly sliced
    • 1/2 small cucumber(s)
    • 1/2 cup(s) carrot(s), shredded
    1. In a medium bowl combine egg, 1 teaspoon of the oil, and the oregano. Add crushed crackers, zucchini, carrot, and green onions; mix well. Form the vegetable mixture into four patties, each about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

2. In a large nonstick skillet heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add patties to skillet. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until patties are golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking time.

3. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl combine yogurt, garlic, and lemon peel.

4. To serve, place each vegetable patty in a pita bread half. Add lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and sauce.

I had an extra egg, it helps the burgers stick, and sometimes if they are not sticking enough I add a couple spoons full of corn meal.   I usually don't make the yougart I usually just eat them as I would a normal burgar, with tomatoe, lettuce and ketchup. I make sweet potatoe french fries to go with them. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards