North Carolina-Outer Banks

Photographers/ day of coordinators

Hi ladies!

I have nailed down my date, venue, and officiant. I think that finding a perfect photographer is next! I've already had my heart broken twice by Macon Photography and Matt Lusk (both already booked for Sept 14, 2013) so I need some suggestions please! I'm into the more non traditional/ creative/ bright photographers. Help! If any of you have any suggestions for me, could you also share some of your pics with me too? In my opinion, the photographer is the biggest decision of the wedding...we will have the pictures for forever!
Also, what are your thoughts on 1 photographer vs. 2? My wedding will be approx. 100 people at Jennette's Pier. Ceremony on the beach, cocktail hour on the deck of the pier, reception at the pier house (all in the same area basically).

Also, a friend suggested that I use a day of coordinator to keep me sane. Thoughts? Have any of you used Sara from Unveiled??

Thank you so much! For those of you getting hitched this weekend, good luck and congrats!!!!!

Re: Photographers/ day of coordinators

• Congrats on getting those big things nailed down!  We're getting married June 6, 2013 and are using Coleman Shots as our photographer.  I swear we looked at every photographer listed on the Wedding Association's site, and we liked him the best.  Most of their packages come with 2 photographers too, which was a plus in my book!

We just took a trip down two weeks ago to get our engagement photos done and were really happy with the overall experience.  The photographer was very relaxed and open to any suggestions we had, and it just ended up being a really fun time.  We haven't gotten the photos back yet, but I'll be sure to share when we do if you're interested.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    Congrats and welcome!

Jennette's Pier is a gorgeous location and Sept is a beautiful time of year on the OBX--I was married Sept 16th 2012 and the weather was perfect all week!  :)

Matt Lusk is definitely sought after and books up almost a year in advance!  When it comes to a photographer, that is all a matter of personal taste.  I may prefer one style of pics while you possible prefer another.  I wanted Matt Lusk too, but of course he was booked on my date, so I went with Outer Banks Productions and I was fortunate to get a package deal for 2 photographers since I attended the Outer Banks Wedding Expo--if you book your vendors within 30 days of the Expo, most will give you a great discount! 

I would look at all of the photogs on the Outer Banks Wedding Assoc and go through different wedding albums they have to see what style really jumps out at you.  The link to the site is posted at the top of this forum, with a blue sticky pin beside it :)

I chose not to hire a DOC--but i know many Knotties that have and were very relieved that they were there to make sure everything went smoothly!  It is definitely something to consider, depending on what your personal needs/wants are.

Again, congrats and let us know if there is anything we can do to help!  :)

• We are using Coleman Shots as well. The 2 photographers a big plus to us too. I really wanted 2 perspectives of the ceremony. We requested that Rich be one of the two and he was fine with that. Our wedding is 8/14/12 so I will post pictures after! Good Luck planning!
  • As someone who did not hire a day of coordinator, I would highly suggest hiring one.  I felt like everyone was coming to me with the same questions over and over again on the day of, and I would have loved if there was someone else to be the go between.  That is the only thing I regret about the wedding, so try and budget it if you can!
  • Originally, we looked at Bridget McEnaney, but she was booked for our day. Here's her site...

She's not from the OBX, but she'll travel. She had amazing reviews from some other girls last summer. She's extremely sweet and easy to contact. She even went out of her way to help us find other photographers with her similar style. If I recall, her prices were better than those with a "home base" in the OBX, too.
  • I had Matt Lusk as my photographer, so I can't help you too much on that one!

I will say, hire Gena Martin from Platinum Party Planning.  DO IT!!!  I agonized before hiring her as a day of coordinator, because it just seemed like something we could live without, and it was a lot of money.  DEFINITELY the best money we spent on the entire wedding!!!!!!!!!  Without a doubt.  She made everything run completely smoothly, anticipated any issues before I could even mention something to her (I swear she is a mind reader!), kept us totally on schedule, and made sure everything we needed made it home safe and sound.  Just hire her, it will be the best decision you make - promise!  I was able to 100% relax and enjoy my wedding day, because Gena and her awesome team took care of everything.
  • I second Beach Productions! Julie is uh-maze-ing, I feel so fortunate to have her taking care of our photos!I have hired Nannette from The Proper Setting as my planner/coordinator, she handled the wedding of one of my bridesmaids a few onths ago and they can't stop singing her prasies.  We've only had 1 meeting so far, but she's readily available via e-mail.
  • Check out Colleen Freye or Julie Dreelin. Both are very good. Colleen really works on a personal level with each bride. A day of coordinator is an awesome idea! Did you pick your cake yet? If not then you need to talk to Cotton Candy Baking Company. People are still talking about our desserts!
  • I used Briget McEnaney. She is the best! You will love her :
  • I would say use a day of coordinator. Without Sugar Snaps events I would have been so overwhelmed with people asking me questions that I would not have been able to have fun at all.  Laura was great, so efficient, nice and helpful!
  • Congrats on your bookings so far!  We are using Genevieve Stewart Productions she is on the OBX wedding association website and couldn't be happier!! We will have her husband and her associate photgrapher Whitney for our day of as Genevieve will not be able to be there on our date, I highly recommend looking at their website and their blog the work is amazing!  I do agree with Matt Lusk and Julie Dreelin as well!  I had the pleasure of meeting with Julie at the expo and seemed to bump into her everywhere I went and she was just amazing to talk with and get to know, unfortunately she was out of budget for me, but I couldn't be happier with our final decision!
    As for a DOC we were able to book Laura with SugarSnap events at the expo and got a great deal so if you have time to hit that up next year I would highly recommend it!  I havent' worked iwht her much so far but I"m sure from all of her reviews its going to work out perfect!! 
    Good Luck with everything!!
  • I just got back from my wedding week and let me tell ya....hire a DOC! It was money well spent and I don't think they day could have happened without her. We used The Embellishers and Gail (one of the co-owners) was with us all day with an assistant. She helped us with everything that day and it was awesome. I really didn't want my mom to be stressing about everything and Gail totally put her at ease! If you can afford one, def do it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards